Most overused music of all time... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Most overused music of all time...

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^Blashphemy! Rachmaninov's Concerto no. 2 is one of the greatest musical compositions of all time! How can you say it's cheesy?

*prepares the pitchforks*

Meoima

Match Penalty
^Blashphemy! Rachmaninov's Concerto no. 2 is one of the greatest musical compositions of all time! How can you say it's cheesy?
*prepares the pitchforks*
Well, maybe because I have listened to his music too much? And I don't think he was an innovative composer. But it's just my opinion.

If we are talking about composer of the same era, then I prefer someone with more provoking thoughts and philosophy in composing, like Stravinsky. After that, I prefer Shostakhovic and Prokofiev. They dug deeper, in my opinion. :)

There is another piano-oriented composer that I like very much, he was Rach's good friend, also a Russian even though he was not as much famous.
That was Medtner, he had a wonderful piano piece and a wonderful title (forgotten memories)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7KZ4GTTto
The title and the music could be a wonderful theme for any skater. I hope there will be one to use this music.

Ps: Well, to me, cheesy is not really a negative word. I like Brahms and Schubert very much but I also call some of their pieces cheesy all the time. :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker
If we are talking about composer of the same era, then I prefer someone with more provoking thoughts and philosophy in composing, like Stravinsky. After that, I prefer Shostakhovic and Prokofiev. They dug deeper, in my opinion. :)

I love Stravinsky and Shostakovic. :agree:

You mean Game of throne? I guess it's still too early and choreographers are not that open and up-to-date. May be next season, the one after that. Sooner or latter, I am sure there will be programs using Game of throne soundtrack. We might even see skaters use Greenday's songs.

Yes, Game of Thrones. Still too early? The 4rth season is almost finished. :think: They are late.:biggrin:
I would love to see Ashley skating to that music. :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well, maybe because I have listened to his music too much? And I don't think he was an innovative composer. But it's just my opinion.

There is another piano-oriented composer that I like very much, he was Rach's good friend, also a Russian even though he was not as much famous.
That was Medtner, he had a wonderful piano piece and a wonderful title (forgotten memories)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7KZ4GTTto
The title and the music could be a wonderful theme for any skater. I hope there will be one to use this music.

Ps: Well, to me, cheesy is not really a negative word. I like Brahms and Schubert very much but I also call some of their pieces cheesy all the time. :laugh:

Ahhh...glad you clarified that, Meoima! I was wondering about that the other day, too -- hadn't exactly gotten out the pitchforks but was definitely puzzled and feeling somewhat indignant. It's not Rach's fault that the 2nd Piano Concerto has been used to death for every purpose under the sun, or choreographed or skated badly.

Re: Brahms, "cheesy" is not a word that comes to my mind but some of his choral music does annoy the daylights out of me (major exceptions: the Requiem and the Liebeslieder Waltzes, which I could practically eat with a spoon!). I've sung a lot of it and some of it feels oddly manipulative to me. Don't ask me why; it's just a weird gut reaction. Love his other works, especially the piano trios, but something odd happens in the choral music. Again, just one person's opinion.

Re: GoT, since it's so current, I wonder if any copyright/performance rights issues might be involved?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Ahhh...glad you clarified that, Meoima! I was wondering about that the other day, too -- hadn't exactly gotten out the pitchforks but was definitely puzzled and feeling somewhat indignant. It's not Rach's fault that the 2nd Piano Concerto has been used to death for every purpose under the sun, or choreographed or skated badly.
I prefer Rach 3 over Rach 2. But personally I like the background story behind this piece. If I remember correctly, Rach finished his 2nd piano concerto after a long depression and numerous visits to psychologist because of previous failures. If we think about the context, Mao's LP performance at Sochi is very fitted to this piece. And personally I think her performance is the strongest Rach 2 LP ever. :) still not my favorite piano concerto, though.

Re: Brahms, "cheesy" is not a word that comes to my mind but some of his choral music does annoy the daylights out of me (major exceptions: the Requiem and the Liebeslieder Waltzes, which I could practically eat with a spoon!). I've sung a lot of it and some of it feels oddly manipulative to me. Don't ask me why; it's just a weird gut reaction. Love his other works, especially the piano trios, but something odd happens in the choral music. Again, just one person's opinion.
Personally I think this piece of Brahms is pretty cheesy. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1uMFlRkRmk
But it's my favorite piece of his. So apparently when I call things "cheesy" it doesn't mean I think it's bad. I think it's sentimental and depends on the mood, it can be very moving and intimate music. :biggrin:

And I agree with you that some of Brahms' choral music seem to be forced. Brahms thought too much when he composed, sometimes it feels a little bit manipulative. But his chamber musics are top-notch, nevertheless.

jimeonji

Final Flight
I prefer Rach 3 over Rach 2. But personally I like the background story behind this piece. If I remember correctly, Rach finished his 2nd piano concerto after a long depression and numerous visits to psychologist because of previous failures. If we think about the context, Mao's LP performance at Sochi is very fitted to this piece. And personally I think her performance is the strongest Rach 2 LP ever. :) still not my favorite piano concerto, though.
Rach 3 played by Horowitz from 1951, Rach 2 played by Richter from 1959 (Wislocki, Warsaw Philharmonic). Period. Both played in a way that made me see the pieces in a bit of a new light, especially with Richter; I highly recommend listening to these two recordings, even if you think Rach 2 is cheesy :biggrin:
the op 23 no 5! I'm actually working on it right now so I have an affinity towards it. Stephane skated to it, actually, I don't know if you've seen it before. (I don't like the interpretation he used, but whatever, I'm too picky :slink:)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Rach 3 played by Horowitz from 1951, Rach 2 played by Richter from 1959 (Wislocki, Warsaw Philharmonic). Period. Both played in a way that made me see the pieces in a bit of a new light, especially with Richter; I highly recommend listening to these two recordings, even if you think Rach 2 is cheesy :biggrin:
Thank you, I've listened to all. Horowitz and Richter are my favorite so of course I have lots of their recordings. Russians again, you can't run away from them because they are so talented. :cool:

the op 23 no 5! I'm actually working on it right now so I have an affinity towards it.
Of all Rach's works, I like this piece very much, it sounds...manly yet intimate at the same time. Best wishes for you working with this piece. Have you ever listened to Lungansky performed this piece? Russian pianist again. :laugh:

Stephane skated to it, actually, I don't know if you've seen it before. (I don't like the interpretation he used, but whatever, I'm too picky :slink:)
Thank you for the link. And... Oh no Lambiel, I love you very much but...this piece doesn't suite your interpretation. :bang:

Re: GoT, since it's so current, I wonder if any copyright/performance rights issues might be involved?

Brahms is one of my favorite composers. I agree about the Requiem and the Liebeslieder Waltzes. By the way, have you ever heard his choral piece Rinaldo, for male soloist and men's chorus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zT569ie3VY

Brahms's chamber music is one of the richest troves in the repertory, and there's so much that could be used for skating. Ditto for Schubert, Dvorak, and Faure. The Schubert quintets (the "Trout" piano quintet and the Great C Major string quintet) are two of the crown jewels of chamber music.

Meoima, I too love the story behind Rach's second piano concerto. If one wants to branch out for skating music choices, he wrote three symphonies (the second is my favorite) and a sublime cello-piano sonata that could make you cry at least once in each movement.

jimeonji

Final Flight
Thank you, I've listened to all. Horowitz and Richter are my favorite so of course I have lots of their recordings. Russians again, you can't run away from them because they are so talented.
Richter is my favorite and my go to for most pieces; very glad that you know those recordings. Many don't dig deep enough to get to those old recordings.

Of all Rach's works, I like this piece very much, it sounds...manly yet intimate at the same time. Best wishes for you working with this piece. Have you ever listened to Lungansky performed this piece? Russian pianist again.
thank you, it's a very difficult piece :scowl: I have and I like it - but maybe a teensy bit too fast. (I have to say that I prefer Richter. is my bias showing through?) Indeed, those Russians. Especially the dead ones. :biggrin:

Thank you for the link. And... Oh no Lambiel, I love you very much but...this piece doesn't suite your interpretation.
agreed. there are a few okay moments (spins spins spins) but otherwise... :slink:

juppiter

Rinkside
Did not like Kim Yuna re-using Turandot for her exhibition. In my mind, that music belongs to Shizuka Arakawa; she absolutely nailed it in 2006 and nobody could do it better than she did. I love Kim Yuna but she shouldn't have used that music.

NQShamrock

Rinkside
Did not like Kim Yuna re-using Turandot for her exhibition. In my mind, that music belongs to Shizuka Arakawa; she absolutely nailed it in 2006 and nobody could do it better than she did. I love Kim Yuna but she shouldn't have used that music.
I don't think so. Yuna has her own style and she makes me feel the passion with her Turandot. She can choose what she wants and I'd love to watch something renewable. In fact, Yuna used it for ex, not for competitive program because of Shizuka Oly's Turandot

begin

Medalist
Popolo di Pekino/Nessun Dorma. The Swan as well (though I'm not sure if it's actually overused or if it's just so generic to a ladies' program that it feels overused).

Shen/Zhao? If Turandot is anyone's music it's absolutely theirs.