What Do You Do To "Quench" Your Figure Skating Thirst In The Off Season? | Golden Skate

What Do You Do To "Quench" Your Figure Skating Thirst In The Off Season?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
What Do You Do To "Quench" Your Figure Skating Thirst In The Off Season?

It's that time of the year again. The competitions are over and other than discussing past events, what other activities do some of you do to pass the time until next season?

I'm going through my skating videos, watching them again, and this time, color highlighting them according to skaters (I already have them labeled for year and event.) I know it sounds a bit "lame", but it does keep me in touch with a sport I truly love. Anyone else? 42

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
It doesn't sound any lamer than what I do! I go right from skating season into renaissance faire season, and back again come October. The first thing I did after Worlds was pull out my costume box to see what needed fixing or upgrading.
Everyone needs hobbies, I guess!
Rave

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I moderate this and a few other boards... the off season = stupid flame wars so it makes me so sick of skating I don't even care about it LOL (ok maybe not that bad... but it keeps me busy!)

euterpe

Medalist
After Worlds, I switch my interest to thoroughbred horse racing just in time for the Triple Crown, then follow the horses straight through to the Breeders' Cup. There's a slight overlap in September and October, but it all shakes out just fine.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I am the director of our Girl Scout summer day camp scheduled for the last week of July. Since the Olympics will be held in Athens we are having a Greek themed camp this year. So, now that cookie season is over I am officially in day camp planning mode trying to research all things Greek to put my program together.

Piel

mariana

On the Ice
I always become a huge tennis fan during this time of the year, and on this particular year I'll be glue to the TV during the Summer Olympics:D

Last edited:

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
Obviously I am going to surf the Internet and watch skating videos. Other things, non-skating related, that interest me include horse racing and the Summer Olympics also. So we have quite a few things in common. :)

andrealm

Rinkside
Ravyn Rant said:
It doesn't sound any lamer than what I do! I go right from skating season into renaissance faire season, and back again come October. The first thing I did after Worlds was pull out my costume box to see what needed fixing or upgrading.
Everyone needs hobbies, I guess!
Rave

That doesn't sound lame at all to me - of course I am doing the same thing myself.

Luckily my skating rink is open all year, so world's always inspires me to start working on my olympic dreams right now. (Okay so I am 28 and only a beginner but that is why they are dreams right!)
One year I was interviewed for the local paper about what it was like to be inside skating while all my friends were at the beach.

Otherwise, I also swim a lot and teach a lot of skin care classes! And walk walk walk.:D

Jill

On the Ice
I do what I did yesterday, go out and buy a new book about skating. This time, it's The Second Mark. Since it looks like I might need an operation soon, I'm saving it for my hospital stay.

I'm also looking forward to the summer Olympics, tennis, horse racing, and swimming and diving competitions.

wvgal57

On the Ice
I show Tennessee Walking Horses and we have a show somewhere just about every weekend from now till October. If I really, really want to stay busy I can work my butt off getting my two horses ready to show and hit the shows up.

I got a new 6 year old Gelding for Xmas and I'll also show my old 16 year old who's won numerous World titles.

Besides that we use the lake and enjoy the outside from now till late October.

Lucy25

Final Flight
I look forward to Skate Detroit in late July! This year we have the summer Olympics, and I have a lot of house painting to do. As a teacher, I value every second of summer vacation, so in a way I always dread the coming of the new skating season because that means another school year!:p

Ximena

Final Flight
After the season is over, hmm well to start I finally realized that I started univeristy a month ago so I'm trying to pay attention.. LOL j/j.

Hm I watch Soccer and Formula 1 and by the time I realized it's already July so I go out on vacations and by August I usually already know something about Plush and Mishin's training camp in Spain.

N

nthuz

For me, this is the season. Club level competition starts now!

edited to add:
Now I turn my attention to unseenskaters.com

Last edited:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I joined this forum immediately after worlds because I couldnt bare the thought of weeks without figure skating conversations!!! I'll focus more of my attention into my last semester of college, and I plan on picking up recreational skating this summer as a new rink is opening near my home.

I'm also working on a few childrens books that deal with themes of sportsmanship and accomplishment.

starshinexavier

On the Ice
I work throughout the summer, saving money so that I can once again semi-afford school. I have a lot of plans with my friends get together and go different places, plus their birthdays are mostly in the summer. I will be assisting my coach with her students in during spring school, so that I can complete the coaching course I'm working on. The skating message boards and summer competitions help fill the voids too.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow, so many of you have such worthy pursuits this off-season. I'm impressed. I'm dusting off my golf clubs and heading for the golf course as soon as it warms up a bit. I'm one of those golfers that only golfs when the weather is between 70 and 80 degrees. (I'm really limited as to a time frame, but that gives me about three months in the spring-summer, and then three months late summer-fall)........:\ 42