Brian Joubert training in pairs discipline? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert training in pairs discipline?

glam

On the Ice
Seeing the video made me realize how much I'm going to miss him!
I don't think we'll see him compete at pairs, he just likes to try it for fun. He has back problems and I doubt pairs skating would do any good for his back. But I would love to see him at least in some minor competition.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Joubert was in Caen training with Popova for a few days, because they both had some free time and he wants to try pairs. Popova reportedly had a tryout lined up with someone else (source, in French). My understanding is that Joubert is still considering his options - shows, a reality TV, maybe some pairs (not necessarily at a competitive level), coaching - maybe a bit of each.

So sorry to disappoint, but it doesn't look like Popova/Joubert will be a thing, beyond some fun clips.

gold12345

Medalist
Joubert was in Caen training with Popova for a few days, because they both had some free time and he wants to try pairs. Popova reportedly had a tryout lined up with someone else (source, in French). My understanding is that Joubert is still considering his options - shows, a reality TV, maybe some pairs (not necessarily at a competitive level), coaching - maybe a bit of each.

So sorry to disappoint, but it doesn't look like Popova/Joubert will be a thing, beyond some fun clips.

Yeah it seems that Popova has a Ukrainian partner lined up (or at least is trying out with him). I read his name somewhere, but had no idea who he was. Her skating with Joubert was to help keep her in shape and to allow him to try a bit of pairs.

LRK

Record Breaker
Ah, but who knows, maybe she will discover that she enjoyed skating with Brian more - and he had enough fun that he feels he wants to do more of this "trying a bit of pairs" thing. (dreaming unrealistically)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I wish him luck in whatever he's going to do, if he's going to do pairs that's good, if he's doing it to help keep her in shape, that's also super nice of him.

He may be almost 30 but I'm sure if he shaves he'll look the same age as all the other skaters :p

chiyori

Spectator
Hi! I almost never post here, but I thought I could add something... the news program never said they were partnering, but that Daria was "initiating" Brian to pairs.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think it would be great to see Brian with a partner if it is something he can enjoy and be happy with whatever skills he and his partner can achieve. Brian certainly seemed to be enjoying himself in that video. I hope something works out for him!

FS.Addict

Rinkside
Well there are some news :)

Article about Joubert

To sum up, it talks about Joubert skating with Popova. Then it says Joubert is thinking about pair skating since 10 years ago. He says he as well ended his career in Sotchi and that he wants to partner with an experienced skater to make it to Olympics.

OMG so excited to see what will happen !!

LRK

Record Breaker
Well there are some news :)

Article about Joubert

To sum up, it talks about Joubert skating with Popova. Then it says Joubert is thinking about pair skating since 10 years ago. He says he as well ended his career in Sotchi and that he wants to partner with an experienced skater to make it to Olympics.

OMG so excited to see what will happen !!

Oh, me too! Thanks for sharing that - to Brian fans - cheery news! More Brian, yay! - okay, hopefully, anyway, depending on if he finds someone. Well, at least he is French, and there's room, I believe, for a 3rd French pair team (supposing Savchenko/Massot choose to skate for France, I'm counting them as one team.)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
He's really considering this? YES! Go Brian! Doesn't matter what the results are--I'll be happy to see him live out his childhood dream of skating pairs.

Btw, seems like everyone is chasing that historic fifth Olympics. It'll really be something if they all make it.

noskates

Record Breaker
Actually, this kind of makes sense. I'm anxious to see how they do. Brian has always appeared to be a strong man, upper body strength, etc. and we know he has the individual skills. I hope it works out.

FS.Addict

Rinkside
This is what the article seems to say, but i wonder if he will really be able to find that experienced female pair skater. Remember he has never skated in pairs.

He also says he has a lot of work to do at the gym.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is he serious? He's going to be 30 years old in a few months and he wants to start over in another discipline at that age when it usally takes years to become a top Pairs skater? :unsure:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am impressed he was able to do al ift with good technique but it takes to develop a pairs mentality let alone the skill. I think he had his 15 minutes of fame. I hope he finds new life after competitive skating.

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, why shouldn't he? Either he succeeds - or he fails. No harm in trying.

He intends to become a coach - maybe he doesn't feel like beginning quite yet. He'll have the rest of his life to be a coach anyway - it's not like that is a possiblilty he must seize now or it will be gone for ever.