Looks like confirmation that Meryl/Charlie will go pro (Link Inside) | Golden Skate

Looks like confirmation that Meryl/Charlie will go pro (Link Inside)

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
Here is the quote from the article that is about the fall in case it is hard to find in the rest of a long piece.

"Q. Will you be coming back to Ann Arbor in the fall?

A. Charlie and I will be busier than we thought we’d be in the fall. Initially, our plan was to be on campus full time, but now it looks like we’ll be taking some online classes. We’re going to be really busy – lots of skating shows, which is really exciting for us, and other opportunities and engagements as well."

The reference for the quote is in the post above.

I'm thrilled that we'll get to see more skating from Meryl and Charlie! What good news. And they're managing to keep up with classes, too, which I am very happy about. Slow and steady, and they'll get their degrees.

gmyers

Record Breaker
They could do all of this stuff as amateurs in competition but leaving college is just dropping out!

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
They aren't leaving college, they are taking classes online. My school does both and I am on all online classes this quarter. They count the same as a campus class, but they actually require more hours of work in my experience.

I've never quite understood this....and don't know what the "rules" are concerning this are, but... If they are truly "going pro," then does that mean they can't come back and do "amateur" skating again?

ozmodiar

On the Ice
Doing shows doesn't necessarily mean they are turning pro. Skaters lose eligibility when they participate in an unsanctioned event, but there aren't too many of those around these days.

It's still possible they are only taking the year off after being so busy for so many months. All we really know is that they're not likely to compete next season.

....It's still possible they are only taking the year off after being so busy for so many months. All we really know is that they're not likely to compete next season.

Thank you for the explanation!! :) I didn't see where they said they were going pro, but that's what others were saying - so I was curious! :eek::

GF2445

Record Breaker
You have to wonder if Boston 2016 is a goal for them. Pyongchang might be too far for them but you can imagine that to finish their career with a win in their home nation would be a plus.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's interesting that Meryl refers to "in the fall."

She did not say where they would be in the spring semester, or whether or not they would on campus in the spring.

They have entered a strange, new place in life and seem to be making decisions incrementally, commitment by commitment.

Meryl is in her senior year-I'm sure she will graduate eventually.

It's interesting that Meryl refers to "in the fall."

Quite so. I think they realize that fame is fleeting, especially once-every-four-years type of fame. Meryl and Charlie (especially Meryl) got an extra bonus boost out of Dancing with the Stars, which extended their fifteen minutes of fame by ten more weeks. Make hay while the sun shines, then it's on to the rest of their lives. :yes:

GF2445

Record Breaker
I wish that more of America got to know these two better before Sochi...anyway, they used their time in the spotloght very well and the 'Meryl and Maks' mania is something that will sort of stay in the conscience of DWTS because people will remember that she was simply the best! In saying that, they are always going to be big names in the skating world with Tessa and Scott as the dancers who took ice dance to a somewhere truly special.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish that more of America got to know these two better before Sochi...anyway, they used their time in the spotloght very well and the 'Meryl and Maks' mania is something that will sort of stay in the conscience of DWTS because people will remember that she was simply the best! In saying that, they are always going to be big names in the skating world with Tessa and Scott as the dancers who took ice dance to a somewhere truly special.

I too wish that more people had been following Meryl and Charlie, and also Tessa and Scott, in Sochi. If they liked seeing the dancing on DWTS, imagine the enjoyment they would get out of ice dance. But you're right: among skating fans and aficionados, our four pioneering North American ice dancers have earned a permanent place in the annals of skating.

KLMH

Spectator
Newbie here, and I'm here because Davis and White caught my interest in Sochi and I followed them to DWTS. I may be an oddball, but I became as much a fan of Charlie's as Meryl's during the TV show. Meryl is wonderfully talented and her work ethic divine, but I found Charlie's graceful personality equally captivating. (I also loved his dancing and wanted a longer season to see his growth.)

I think they won new fans during the show who are now investigating their ice dance catalog on YT.

desertskates

Medalist
Quite so. I think they realize that fame is fleeting, especially once-every-four-years type of fame. Meryl and Charlie (especially Meryl) got an extra bonus boost out of Dancing with the Stars, which extended their fifteen minutes of fame by ten more weeks. Make hay while the sun shines, then it's on to the rest of their lives. :yes:

Strongly agree. To say this is a once in a lifetime opportunity is a huge understatement. All the best to them :)