Virtue/Moir - Davis/White | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Virtue/Moir - Davis/White

KLMH

Spectator
I so agree. I knew he'd told her that (and it looked to me like she said it back to him) but I haven't been able to get a handle on meaning, but I think this was probably it. Thanks! :biggrin:

TMC

Record Breaker
The one time they got close to doing anything remotely close to doing what V/M do was (I THINK) the first time they skated to Notre Dame and Charlie picked up Meryl and held her in his arms as he spun around - and - just as I react when I see V/M do this kind of thing - I cringed because it felt so false to me. I hated it. It's something I don't like in V/M either, but I understand this is their schtick, and I ignore it as much as possible because I really do enjoy them as ice dancers.

Sometimes less really is more.

I so agree with this.

I have a problem - and always have had - with what I think of as "over-the-top fake acting" which makes an appearance pretty often in FS but especially of course in ice dancing. I love to watch the skilled skaters in action but I really sometimes have to fight my knee-jerk cringe-reaction and physically remove my palm from my face with my other hand.

If anything, some of the angsty faces by Meryl were a bit much, but her joyful face at the playful part of Shez was very natural, as well as her seductress face (see, already found three different faces that that sweet porcelain doll managed to make during that dance...). But then at 1st watch my eyes are 90% on Charlie so I don't even see Meryl that much unless I rewatch (and I do rewatch ;) ). Charlie's angsty/angry facial expressions on the other hand I felt were his best in that dance - even in the DWTS latin dances they gave me cringe-chills (it is a concept! And I just made it up!) because he's such a happy person and it takes a long stretch of the imagination to think of him as a headsman's-axe-happy sultan :laugh:

TMC

Record Breaker
Oh I just had a horrible thought in my head - can you imagine if both of these teams had had the exact same schtick? Both would have been SO IN LOVE or SO THEATRICAL in all their stories in all their dances for all those years...Even imagining that gives me (bad) shivers!

It was so good that they both had their own thing and they did what came naturally to them. We were the ones who benefited from V/M going from "Eternal and ethereal love with 100% chemistry" (Mahler) to "Want-to ravish-you-on-ice-right-now with 100% chemistry" (Carmen) and D/W going from "Fierce angsty imminent-death-on-ice" (Phantom) to "Sparkling lightness and physical embodiment of light-heartedness and happiness" (Fledermaus).

Thank you Tessa & Scott & Meryl & Charlie!

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
Oh I just had a horrible thought in my head - can you imagine if both of these teams had had the exact same schtick? Both would have been SO IN LOVE or SO THEATRICAL in all their stories in all their dances for all those years...Even imagining that gives me (bad) shivers!

It was so good that they both had their own thing and they did what came naturally to them. We were the ones who benefited from V/M going from "Eternal and ethereal love with 100% chemistry" (Mahler) to "Want-to ravish-you-on-ice-right-now with 100% chemistry" (Carmen) and D/W going from "Fierce angsty imminent-death-on-ice" (Phantom) to "Sparkling lightness and physical embodiment of light-heartedness and happiness" (Fledermaus).

I totally agree. I like the diversity between the two teams and the world would be a boring, colorless place without people being different and having different styles and personalities. I think it works for skating as well.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice

Exactly! That's one of the reasons I think it was something that may have been planned out by Marina. Tessa and Scott can pull that off and look somewhat natural, though it still comes across as an act. Tessa is a very cute girl-next-door type and Scott can come across as bad boy. A perfect combination for sexual tension between a male and female. Charlie is happy-go-lucky, nothing bad boy about him, but can come across as dynamic and strong, against Meryl's classy, somewhat aloof-looking, petite young woman. Two different 'acts' that appeal to people for different reasons. Neither couple could pull off eliciting the emotions the other couple was able to stir up in us, their fans.

Marina knew what she was doing. There was a reason she had Charlie dye his hair blonde and leave it longer so he would stand out. I think she was going for the swashbuckler look.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Marina knew what she was doing. There was a reason she had Charlie dye his hair blonde and leave it longer so he would stand out. I think she was going for the swashbuckler look.
Wait! What?! Charlie´s dye his hair????!!!!! Nothing is real in this world

Exactly! That's one of the reasons I think it was something that may have been planned out by Marina.....

So true, Plays! :) Honestly, what she did with both of those teams is why Marina (and Igor) will always be a favorite of mine. People can say what they want about her, but for having two top teams for so many years they were always very different and brilliant on ice, which is in part due to her (and Igor). She really did a lot with transforming Meryl and Charlie's looks whenever they took them on; and now I see old pictures and videos of them and I'm just like :eek: - I sometimes forget that they went through a transformation period, haha