Politics and economics of the 2022 Olympic Winter Games | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Politics and economics of the 2022 Olympic Winter Games

anyanka

Record Breaker
Well, I know that Los Angeles should get the 2024 Games. We actually have our business together.

That's going to be so exciting! They were the first Olympics I ever saw when I was very young and they captured my imagination. Those were wonderful games. (Well, maybe not to a Soviet-bloc audience, but to a kid in North America they were the most spectacular thing ever.)

nocturnalis

Medalist
That's going to be so exciting! They were the first Olympics I ever saw when I was very young and they captured my imagination. Those were wonderful games. (Well, maybe not to a Soviet-bloc audience, but to a kid in North America they were the most spectacular thing ever.)
I actually wasn't alive but my family lived near one of the stadium sites and my mom Sid she kept having to move people that were working in the driveway. Now they have parking passes so during events only people with them can get past.:)

NMURA

Medalist
Sure, Beijing should be avoided. One of the most polluted city in the world, and another "patriotic" campaign by the communist dictatorship.

(Far) East Asia hold 2018 and 2020 Olympics. It could be a big disadvantage for Beijing. If Olso is fully committed, there won't be a serious competition. Kazakhstan is also counted in Asia. The IOC should have strong interests to prove that Winter Olympics is not VERY costly (like Sochi).

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I think Oslo would be the best choice but a lot of people from that area apparently don't want it, however it would raise a lot of eyebrows if 3 Olympics in a row were held in Asia

waxel

Final Flight
As others have mentioned, I don't get the Olympic hate on this thread. Want to see figure skating fade completely from the landscape? Have no Olympics. Think NBC and its sister stations (or any network) will continue to support skating at all without an eventual Olympic payoff? Nonsense.

I agree the largesse of the games has become unwieldy. How about some creative ingenuity and some serious thought put forth before taking the flame and sending the Olympics to the ash heap?

No Olympics means skating (and MANY other sports) will be vanquished to grass roots and sketchy internet coverage, if that.

You Olympic naysayers be gone.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Ugh, last time it was in Beijing I remember a lot of the US swim team got super sick because of the pollution and it's conditions. And Almaty would have a path like Sochi - building a city from the very dirt up. Either choice is bad.

I know that France wanted the 2024 games because it would be 100 years since Paris 1924, but they would have been a great choice for this. They wanted 2018 but it was given to Pyeongchang and now they're only interested in the summer games. It's truly disappointing.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Totally expected. Norwegian citizens just didn't want the games in Oslo.

Beijing will get the games then because there is no way the IOC will let Almaty become the next Sochi (financially) and scare off future bidders.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed with that entire thing. A return to SLC would have been a good option with the state of the bids now. Sucks that the USOC decided to focus for 2024 or 2026 instead.

I agree. The US should have made a bid for 2022. At the very least it will be 22 years if the US gets the games in 2024 which is ridiculous.