Politics and economics of the 2022 Olympic Winter Games | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Politics and economics of the 2022 Olympic Winter Games

makaihime

Final Flight
He will be 28, I think he will not miss unique opportunity to take part at home Olympics. By the way, Plushenko was 31.

You can't compare others to Plushenko since he is the exception, not the standard. Many usually retire by that age and Ten seems prone to injury, although it would be nice if he does get a home Olympics :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Competing at 28 would probably be unlikely. But D10 can skate in the gala. ;) (What's the precedent for this, anyway? Have any retired skaters skated when their country became a host?)

anyanka

Record Breaker
^Competing at 28 would probably be unlikely. But D10 can skate in the gala. ;) (What's the precedent for this, anyway? Have any retired skaters skated when their country became a host?)

Plushy aside, in recent games we had Fusar-Poli & Margaglio at Torino (6th) but that's all I can think of. Anyone else?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^I meant, have retired skaters been invited to galas held in their countries, without competing?

Z

znhurston

I agree with you about NYT being biased. Who are we as Americans to be lecturing any country about human rights?
I am rooting for Almaty. It is a beautiful city near the high mountains. It will draw tons of tourists from Russia. D10 could compete at home Olympics :)

NYT article is biased. "Almaty, Kazakhstan, a city of 1.4 million in a nation with an autocratic government and a dubious human rights record..." Really? Of course, Lviv in a country-bankrupt with a permanent jumble would be a good place.

BusyMom

Medalist
^^ Actual sport fans will probably not really care about the issues but the activists loves to make a big deal about them. The medias sometimes love to feed these kinds of aspects.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think its time for bids to look at the resources they have rather than what they can build. With a lack of cities hoping to bid, it is the perfect time for an American city with infrastructure and support in place that just needs a jump-start. Detroit would be perfect. Rather than focusing on infrastructure, focus on crime and getting the city to where it once was.

I'm not sure if your comment is a joke.

What resources does Detroit already have that would make it a good choice? I'm not sure, but I believe, at a minimum, they'd need major sports venues... ski jumping, luge/bobsled tracks, speed skating ovals... that require pretty large investments. Are there some of those in Detroit that I'm unaware of (a serious question... I really don't know for sure)?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure if your comment is a joke.

What resources does Detroit already have that would make it a good choice? I'm not sure, but I believe, at a minimum, they'd need major sports venues... ski jumping, luge/bobsled tracks, speed skating ovals... that require pretty large investments. Are there some of those in Detroit that I'm unaware of (a serious question... I really don't know for sure)?

No. My comment about landfills was no joke. They actually ski on old landfills :yes: I think that the poster who originally brought up Detroit was just throwing out a dying city in hopes that the games would save it. Detroit would be a good city in that aspect. Maybe summer olympics instead would be a better option.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
The Detroit thing is amusing me.

Did you know Detroit actually bid for the Olympics 7 times between 1944 and 1972? It's the most times a city has bid without ever winning the Games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_Olympic_Games

The backstory is that the longtime president of the USOC, I believe it was, was from Detroit.

Frankly, given Detroit's financial straits, I doubt they will be bidding any time soon. Although they certainly have the land for redevelopment, who would fund it?

I think we're likely to see Los Angeles advanced as the US bidder for 2024.

cooper

Medalist
^the detroit suggestion also amuses me.. i thought they still have a problem with their local economy and the whole auto industry emergency bailout years ago..

desertskates

Medalist
Most Olympic skiers don't want to ski on landfills. :laugh: I like the concept of saving a dying city although don't sell Detriot short. It's growing in very very unique ways. I'm thinking Reno/Tahoe. In all honesty for the foreseeable future it would make sense just to revisit past venues and cut costs that way.

I think Reno/Tahoe is an excellent idea!! Detroit has about as potential with this as Las Vegas!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Did you know Detroit actually bid for the Olympics 7 times between 1944 and 1972? It's the most times a city has bid without ever winning the Games.
Ouch. Poor Detroit. Or maybe not, considering how costly hosting the games are.

While I kinda like the theory--using the games to save a dying city--I just don't know how Detroit call pull it off. In terms of both finances and facilities.

I think its time for bids to look at the resources they have rather than what they can build. With a lack of cities hoping to bid, it is the perfect time for an American city with infrastructure and support in place that just needs a jump-start. Detroit would be perfect. Rather than focusing on infrastructure, focus on crime and getting the city to where it once was.

When Paris bided for 2012 Summer Games, almost everything was already built. Yet, London did good the last two days and Chirac his usual crap. They lost because their budget was higher when London just lied about theirs. In the end, London never could stop going wild financially.

The crisis is helpfull to lots of people. I remember even Cinquanta used it during the 2009-10 season.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Most Olympic skiers don't want to ski on landfills. :laugh: I like the concept of saving a dying city although don't sell Detriot short. It's growing in very very unique ways. I'm thinking Reno/Tahoe. In all honesty for the foreseeable future it would make sense just to revisit past venues and cut costs that way.

I LOVE this idea. :)

About Detroit, they would not have to built ski slopes and bobsled tracks in the city. Michigan is a winter sports Mecca with all kinds of skiing and related stuff available.

As for the money, the city is broke, but is the host city expected to foot the whole bill out of local taxes and local business contributions? Who paid the bills for Sochi?

Amei

Record Breaker
As for the money, the city is broke, but is the host city expected to foot the whole bill out of local taxes and local business contributions? Who paid the bills for Sochi?

Most likely government taxes. I would bet that if Detroit were to get the Games, the bill would come from state and even national taxes. Which I'm against, there are far better things for our tax dollars then pouring them into 1 of the most corrupt cities.

About Detroit, they would not have to built ski slopes and bobsled tracks in the city. Michigan is a winter sports Mecca with all kinds of skiing and related stuff available.

They would have to probably build a good amount of structures, clean the streets, and the corrupt policefore. And Detroit is heavily unionized (I don't mean this to sound political) so they are going to drive up the cost even more.

Panpie

On the Ice
There are no mountains in the Midwest, so I don't know how Detroit could host the winter Olympics. I doubt that Detroit (or the state of Michigan, for that matter) would be able to put together a successful bid for the summer Olympics, at least not now or in the near future. Detroit was a booming city when the American auto industry was thriving. Detroit's population peaked at over 1.8 million in 1950. The population is now about 700,000. I write that with no acrimony toward Detroit or toward Michigan. The decline of industry in the United States, and particularly in the Midwest, is very sad to me. :cry:

Panpie

On the Ice

Well, Mathman, I guess you're the expert, but would it be possible to do downhill skiing, slalom and such in Detroit or the immediate environs? I know that there is lots of cross country skiing, that hockey is popular, and so on, in Michigan, but would it be possible to do the Alpine skiing events there?

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Well, Mathman, I guess you're the expert, but would it be possible to do downhill skiing, slalom and such in Detroit or the immediate environs? I know that there is lots of cross country skiing, that hockey is popular, and so on, in Michigan, but would it be possible to do the Alpine skiing events there?

For the Olympic Winter Games, FIS World Championship, or FIS World Cup events, you must have a downhill skiing course with a vertical drop of at least 800 m.

I don't think Michigan has such a course.