Why is Skating the Only Sport Where the Athletes Await their Scores with their Coaches ? | Golden Skate

Why is Skating the Only Sport Where the Athletes Await their Scores with their Coaches ?

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Why is Skating the Only Sport Where the Athletes Await their Scores with their Coaches ?

I find it particular that we are the only sport where athletes wait their score with coaches. For me, the coaches do not have their place in the kiss & cry. I think most coaches play in the promotion of their work being in the kiss & cry and it does not make sense to me, there is only in this sport that we see this . I prefer to see the playful ski await the verdict of the judges alone and have a genuine emotion of his notes. Coaches are like circus for me on the kiss & cry.

I think a revolution skating begins slowly, I saw skaters like Caroline Zhang who waited in the kiss & cry alone. This is a good thing for me, I think we credit too much on coaches. They should not be in the foreground waiting for scores, the athlete should be the person who has this concern.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, for the most part, coaches stay there on the Kiss&Cry to comfort their skaters (if the results were not good) and congrats their students if the results were good. I think most people need someone by their sides at that critical moments. ;)

Icey

Record Breaker
I don't know why skaters can't wait for their scores the way gymnasts, divers, etc do. The first formal off-ice waiting area at the Olympics appeared in Sarajevo 1984.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Is it such a big deal if the athlete waits alone or with their coaches? The latter makes for better theatre anyway. :laugh:

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
Um..Caroline Zhang's situation is hardly enviable.
Does she even have a coach anymore?

There is no point comparing other sports to skating. It is what it is. Do other sports have costumes? Makeup? Choreography? Exactly..

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Um..Caroline Zhang's situation is hardly enviable.

I love her and feel for her but the girl's skating and placements have gone downnnnnnnnnn after a short resurgence at Nationals in 2012. I was afraid when I saw her alone that she maybe couldn't even afford a coach anymore..
Skating is expensive, she has no endorsements, hasn't done a major tour in awhile, hasn't won any major competitions in awhile...And she's getting older...

There is no point comparing other sports to skating. It is what it is. Do other sports have costumes? Makeup? Choreography? Exactly..

This is maybe a reason why skating became less popular every year.
Maybe people find skating not to be a serious sport with all of these comedy with the coaches and emotion cry, joy etc. in the kiss & cry. If we would remove the coaches from kiss & cry, I think every skater would have the advantage to be taken more seriously by their sport and everyone will have more respect for boy skating.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
This is maybe a reason why skating became less popular every year.
Maybe people find skating not to be a serious sport with all of these comedy with the coaches and emotion cry, joy etc. in the kiss & cry. If we would remove the coaches from kiss & cry, I think every skater would have the advantage to be taken more seriously by their sport and everyone will have more respect for boy skating.

Um.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yeah, how about we take away music, costumes, choreography...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I like figure skating because it's different from other sports. I wouldn't watch it if it were more of the same.

Horse racing is another sport where the skittish and temperamental athletes are always accompanied by their handlers.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I distinctly remember when Dorothy Hamill skated in Innsbrook, she just skated off the ice and stood around squinting at the scoreboard while the flower girls heaped her arms with bouquets. It seemed pretty matter-of-fact.

What would make for good drama would be for them to announce the scores like they do on DWTS:

"The judges' scores! Carrie Ann Inaba... "

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Horse racing is another sport where the skittish and temperamental athletes are always accompanied by their handlers.

They are accompanied by their handlers even if they're the least bit skittish and temperamental. And they are pampered, groomed, dressed and equipped with the utmost care, or they would not perform. As well, they are not shy about throwing a tantrum. The divas!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yeah, how about we take away music, costumes, choreography...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I like figure skating because it's different from other sports. I wouldn't watch it if it were more of the same.

I couldn't agree more! I like the tradition and all the little quirks that set skating apart. And I think it's always interesting to see the dynamics between skater and coach. You can observe so much about their relationship in the kiss'n'cry. Especially when you notice things like: a certain coach tends to have a lot more crying going on than most others...:slink:

GF2445

Record Breaker
You also have to keep in mind that now judges and the technical panel have to go through so much footage and make sure all the elements are marked correctly. They give themselves about three minutes after the program to comb over and readjust their marks, so its a long wait and tthe kiss and cry is probbly the best option today. Its also exciting to hear the announcer reveal the marks whether its a 6.0 or 200.00pts for a mens free skate.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
^ I just wanted to say the same about RG. And plus they also have a big kiss and cry area where ALL the athletes and coaches sit together after they are done with their routines for the day. Which is a kind of strange, but it's a tradition or something like this.