Hersh: ISU boss has driven skating toward a ditch | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Hersh: ISU boss has driven skating toward a ditch

Ven

Match Penalty
Figure skating has the unique ability among sports to combine artistry with athleticism. People enjoy watching athletic endeavors, and they also enjoy art. Tens of millions of people watch Dancing With The Stars, and even more enjoy watching football/soccer matches and other popular sports. So where does figure skating fit in?

Well I argue against people who claim or accept that figure skating is only a "niche sport", because the evidence speaks to the contrary.
There is a large group of people willing to enjoy figure skating if the sport presents itself in an appealing way.

How should figure skating do that? Time has proven that this sport is not popular as an athletic spectacle alone. Whenever I see skaters jump and then do crossovers and jump at the other end of the rink, back and forth, all I can think of is they look like a dog doing tricks. I think a majority of people agree with me, because the more CoP has emphasized technical content at the expense of artistry, the popularity of figure skating has declined. Neither can figure skating survive as a pretty frolic around the rink ... difficult athleticism and competition enhances the artistry in a way that separates it from dance, ballet, music and movies, etc.

The path forward for figure skating is to emphasize both artistry and athleticism, equally.

-----

In order to demonstrate how much people love this combination of sport and art, let me use the following example. I'm not sure how many of you have seen the movie "The Last Of The Mohicans", but in the final scene directed by Michael Mann, there is almost no dialogue; instead, the music Promontory plays on the soundtrack, and the music accurately matches the action, which shows the good guys battling bad guy after bad guy while charging up a mountain, trying to save their friends.

You can watch the scene here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9SEFMIBwAs

About 15 years later, Nike and the NFL hired Michael Mann to recreate this concept in a football commercial, using the same music, Promontory.

The result was this "Leave Nothing" commercial, which proved to be the most popular in the NFL's history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55BZ2gSsSmY

What made this commercial special? Well, football players and fans connected with the brutal physicality and endurance the commercial portrayed. The athletic part of football -- physically running and banging into countless people, and having to get up and do it over and over again, regardless of physical fatigue. That's football.

But it was also more than that. The music really resonated with the audience. Just like in the movie, the music fit with the action ... charging up that mountain or across that field, having to get past bad guy after bad guy, in order to obtain some goal. I remember reading the Youtube comments for that commercial and many young football players said they would listen to this music or watch the commercial to get hyped up "in the mood" for play and working out. Think about it, how many people wouldn't love to have their own theme music while playing a sport, or doing anything throughout their day?

And that's what figure skating can offer ... the combination of art and sport. Other athletics can provide more entertaining sport, but they can't enhance sport by combining it with art. Seven triples or two quads are meaningless to most audiences as standalone athletic achievements, but when you combine those triples and quads with a beautiful artistic performance, then the sport dramatically enhances the art, and vice versa.

And that's what figure skating should be about...and if it were, I have no doubt that tens of millions of people would watch it, just as they enjoyed that football commercial, and just as they watch DWTS. There is an audience out there, but the leadership in the figure skating community refuses to tap into it.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Not all of them. ;)
I think that's part of the "game" also. I've given up since the early 90's (1991 I think?) at being mad with the judges.
I really do feel better and fully enjoy the skating since I did that. That's just me though.

I used to get really upset with the scores. Sometimes I still get a little peeved but for the most part I stopped caring about the results so much. I think not being 100% invested in any one skater also helps. I have so many skaters I cheer for that I'm usually happy for whoever lands on the podium. It really does allow me to enjoy watching skating rather than stress about it. A lot of people hated the Sochi games but thanks to the amazing performances from Mao, Carolina, Yu-Na and Adelina too, I've rewatched the competition several times and enjoyed every minute. :)

Alba

Record Breaker
I used to get really upset with the scores. Sometimes I still get a little peeved but for the most part I stopped caring about the results so much. I think not being 100% invested in any one skater also helps. I have so many skaters I cheer for that I'm usually happy for whoever lands on the podium. It really does allow me to enjoy watching skating rather than stress about it. A lot of people hated the Sochi games but thanks to the amazing performances from Mao, Carolina, Yu-Na and Adelina too, I've rewatched the competition several times and enjoyed every minute. :)

I agree. I still might get angry a little bit but it doesn't last more than one good night sleep. :laugh:
Michelle Kwan not winning the Olympic was the last stroke I guess. Not that I was angry with the judges even then, but it was like Peter O'Toole never winning that damn Oscar. :bang: :biggrin:

The only thing I can't get used to it is how bad and sad I feel when my fav. skater doesn't do well. I get so emotional that is becoming ridiculous with time. I sometimes can't even watch them live.
I still can't re-watch ladies in Sochi because Yulia was not good there, and I only watch Asada's free & Ladies Team event. :slink:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I agree. I still might get angry a little bit but it doesn't last more than one good night sleep. :laugh:
Michelle Kwan not winning the Olympic was the last stroke I guess. Not that I was angry with the judges even then, but it was like Peter O'Toole never winning that damn Oscar. :bang: :biggrin:

The only thing I can't get used to it is how bad and sad I feel when my fav. skater doesn't do well. I get so emotional that is becoming ridiculous with time. I sometimes can't even watch them live.
I still can't re-watch ladies in Sochi because Yulia was not good there, and I only watch Asada's free & Ladies Team event. :slink:

Awwww. :no: That's how I used to be watching Michelle. I do NOT miss that! I couldn't eat, I'd get nervous thinking about it...half the time I couldn't watch.

Now I'll feel bad for a skater but rather than days on end feeling sad, my sadness wears off in a few hours. It's so liberating to watch skating like that.

Alba

Record Breaker
Awwww. :no: That's how I used to be watching Michelle. I do NOT miss that! I couldn't eat, I'd get nervous thinking about it...half the time I couldn't watch.

Now I'll feel bad for a skater but rather than days on end feeling sad, my sadness wears off in a few hours. It's so liberating to watch skating like that.

I know and I hate that. :bang: I was not like this at all before. I loved to see the competition, especially those who I loved most.
Now....:disapp: I'm becoming old. :scratch:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not since 2005 have I felt like that, really. Back then I used to feel that way before the big comps (Nationals, Worlds). It came back in a fleeting way when Cohen took the ice for her Nats SP in 2010, and to a lesser extent, just before Wagner took the ice for her Team SP in Sochi. I can't really tell you why that inner anxiousness has been all but lost...

Alba

Record Breaker
Not since 2005 have I felt like that, really. Back then I used to feel that way before the big comps (Nationals, Worlds). It came back in a fleeting way when Cohen took the ice for her Nats SP in 2010, and to a lesser extent, just before Wagner took the ice for her Team SP in Sochi. I can't really tell you why that inner anxiousness has been all but lost...

I even stop watching FS for quite a while, the period from 2010 to 2012. It didn't help. :laugh:

Mafke

Medalist
That stuff is temporary. Harding and Kerrigan were gone for years when interest peaked around the millenium. People who were interested only in the sideshow quickly left, but others were exposed to a sport they found beautiful and interesting. They didn't stick around to keep watching figure skating in '99 because of The Whack that happened 5 years earlier, they stuck around to watch the figure skating itself. And then they started to feel like the competitions were rigged, and when they spoke out against it, the ISU changed the judging process in order to confuse them and hide the cheating, and now they don't know what's going on and they no longer care.

As good a summary as any. FS judging lost credibility in 2002 and has not gotten it back.

All the rest is justification and rationalization and denial.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I even stop watching FS for quite a while, the period from 2010 to 2012. It didn't help. :laugh:

I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to that point...I'm really starting to get fed up with the judging. Sochi just proved in my mind nothing's changed since 02! Little use in watching if you know what's going to happen...or NOT going to happen for that matter.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I follow FS mainly for my favorites, I will support them no matter what scores they receive. :)