Young talented skaters to watch | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Young talented skaters to watch

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Since karne has highlighted some of the promising skaters from her country, I thought I could do the same.

Unfortunately, there are not many young skaters from Northern Ireland competing. I can only think of one, and the only reason I know of him is because his mother is Margaret O'Neill (the driving force behind skating in the whole of Ireland over the past 30 years, and Jenna McCorkell's original coach)

Sam McAllister (Great Britain)

Sam finished 4th in the Advanced Novice Men category of the British Championships this year (Results). He was 5th in the SP (Results), and 4th in the FS (Results).

I have looked on YouTube, and unfortunately I can't find any videos of him. So, we'll just have to wait until he gets to compete in a more high profile competition to see if he has potential. ;)

So, I'll have to go beyond Norn Iron.

Most of the promising young Men’s Singles skaters that I know about have already been mentioned. So, I’ll move onto the other categories.

And I shall start with those that are already competing at senior level.

In Ice Dance, there was one suggestion that popped into my head as soon as I started thinking about promising up-and-coming couples. Then I looked them up to try to find videos to choose from, and discovered that they are actually a lot older than I thought. For goodness sake, the girl is less than a year younger than me!

Emi Hirai/Marien de la Asuncion (Japan)

You know, you have to feel sorry for Emi and Marien. The only time you ever get to see them on the international scene is at Four Continents, because the Reeds always win Nationals, and hence get sent to Worlds.

But, since they do not fit into the criteria of this thread, I will move on.

In Pairs, the obvious suggestion would be Annabelle Prölß/Ruben Blommaert (Germany). But, they are already well known as being stars of the future. So, I will go for a very new partnership that may still be a bit under the radar for now, but probably won’t be for long!

Amani Fancy/Christopher Boyadji (Great Britain)

I think it took everybody by surprise when this Anglo-French partnership won this year’s British Pairs Championship in their first season competing together.

When they competed at Europeans, I remarked:

I hadn't seen them before until today. And now that I have, I can see why they won British Championships. They were really good!

Since then I have watched their performances from Nationals. And they were even better! So, I would advise that you watch those performances! ;)

2014 British Championships SP
2014 British Championships FS

There are lots of young Ladies Singles skaters that have already established themselves in the senior ranks. But, I want to focus in on 2 that have not done too many senior competitions yet, but have still managed to stand out for me. Oh, and they both hail from Moscow… (Imagine that – me picking Russians!)

Anna Ovcharova (Switzerland)

I admit, I am totally biased when it comes to Anna. I have been a fan of her skating for a few years now, and over the past year or so I have become quite good friends with her.

Anna was a very promising Junior level skater. 2010 was definitely her best year. In Russian Juniors, she finished 2nd, coming back from a disappointing 8th in the SP to win the FS. It is worth looking at the results sheet to see the names that Anna beat! Then in Junior Worlds, Anna came 5th (behind Murakami, Zawadski, Agafanova and Shelepin). This time, she won the SP, but came 8th in the FS.

But the next few years were tough for Anna. First, she had problems with her leg, which ultimately needed surgery. Then her family decided to move to Switzerland, as Anna’s brother was at a private school there.

About a year ago, Anna did an interview with a Russian language newspaper in Switzerland (translation on FSU) and she admitted that she found it very hard to adjust to living in a foreign country, and getting taught in a foreign language and everything. I found it very upsetting to hear this and, after reading it, I just wanted to fly over there and give her a big hug!

But, things have improved since then. Anna has settled into life in Switzerland, and is actually enjoying living there now (I asked her about it myself). She entered Swiss Nationals in 2012, and finished 2nd at her first attempt. Then, in 2013, she won the title.

Anna competed for Switzerland at the World Championships this year, and although she made quite a few mistakes, and had a few falls, you could see how much she was enjoying the experience.

Nevertheless, for my choices of programmes to watch, I am going to go back to her Junior days. The SP in particular is brilliant!

2010 Junior World Championships SP
2010 Russian Junior Championships FS

The next skater is actually the girl that won the SP at Russian Juniors in 2010, but ultimately only finished 9th overall after a disastrous FS.

Kristina Zaseeva (Russia)

I have never really bothered with watching Junior competitions. So, the first time I came across Kristina Zaseeva was when she took part in a video that Adelina Sotnikova and some of her skating friends made to mark Adelina’s 17th birthday. They were dancing and messing about to “My Humps” by the Black Eyed Peas.

(For the discussion about the video, see from this post downwards in Adelina’s Fan Fest thread. Unfortunately, all the abuse people have been throwing around since the Olympics has led Adelina to cancel her vKontakte account. As a result, this brilliant video can no longer be viewed. Thanks a lot! :sarcasm: )

Out of the group, there were 2 that stood out as being absolutely brilliant dancers – Adelina and Kristina.

We all know where Adelina went on from there. But, I am surprised that Kristina hasn’t become a contender for a spot on the Russian team. Like, she didn’t even qualify for nationals this season! (She only got 1 point)

Looking through her results, Kristina seems to be a strange case. At Nationals, she ALWAYS does better in the SP than the FS. But, when competing in other countries, she tends to do better in the FS.

That she does not do so well in the FS at Nationals probably explains why we don’t get to see her competing internationally too often. It places her too far down the order in the overall results to be considered for an international slot. But, when she does get one, she does tend to do well, regularly finishing in the Top 5 (although, to be fair, there do not tend to be many big names at the competitions Kristina gets sent to…)

For the videos to watch, I have chosen the programmes where Kristina has scored her PB. Please be aware that the SP is from a Junior competition, while the FS is from a Senior competition.

2010 Russian Junior Championships SP
2011 NRW Trophy FS

Moving into the Junior ranks, and I could bore you by going on about all the promising Russian teenagers that are coming along the production line. But, instead I’m going to do things a bit differently. There are some young skaters that I’ve already talked about on the forum a few times. So, I will add them into this conversation.

Sini has already got in with the first skater I was going to suggest - Jenni Saarinen! (Good to see that I'm not the only one that likes her! ;) )

You can already see that Jenni is highly talented, and is going to be somebody to keep an eye on for the future. But, for my other suggestions, I am going to look a lot further down the Junior ranks. These skaters probably won’t make it to the same level as Jenni, but I thought I would throw them in anyway to see if anybody saw some potential.

Tena Čopor (Croatia)

I first saw Tena during the Gala at the 2013 European Championships, and I was really impressed with her. Next time I saw her was during the Gala at the 2013 Golden Spin, and I was very disappointed - she was totally upstaged by the younger girl that was on the ice with her (Hana Kosić)

Tena finished 29th (out of 31) in the Slovakian round of the Junior Grand Prix in 2013. I have to be honest, I can see why she was so far down. These were not great performances at all.

Unfortunately, I can’t find any videos of her at other competitions. So, it's hard to tell whether Tena is actually as good as I thought the first time I saw her.

2013 European Championships Gala
2013 JGP Kosice SP
2013 JGP Kosice FS
2013 Golden Spin Gala

The next skater is actually the girl that finished one place below Tena at the 2013 Kosice JGP.

Kristina Dubrovskaya (Cyprus)

You probably don’t realise it, but I have talked about Kristina D on this forum before. However, I deliberately made a point of not naming her at the time. Kristina D is the skater I was referring to as “the Russian” in my original post in the “Figure Skating On Ice Rinks In Shopping Centres” thread.

Unfortunately, both of Kristina D’s segments in her 2013 JGP appearance were a disaster. So, maybe it is better not to watch them! Instead, watch her performances from her 2012 JGP appearance. Although she finished in a lower position than in 2013 (due largely to a bigger entry in 2012), her performances (and hence her scores) were far better in 2012.

Kristina is by no means the best skater in the world. It may be VERY rough around the edges, but you can see that she has the same characteristics that all the other Russian teenagers have. It needs a LOT of polishing, and a LOT of hard work on Kristina’s part, but she has the potential to be a half-decent skater, who could qualify Cyprus for a slot at the big competitions.

That said, I really do feel that if she wants to progress in this sport, she needs to stop practicing her skating in Cyprus, and get training with a proper coach in Russia.

2012 JGP Zagreb SP
2012 JGP Zagreb FS

Incidentally, when you do a search for her name on YouTube, if you scroll down the page, you will find quite a few videos of a girl singing in Russian and playing guitar. This IS the same girl!!! So, if the skating doesn’t work out, she can fall back on her music.

The most promising thing about these 2 skaters is that they are representing countries that are not normally associated with figure skating. And that in itself is a good sign for the future of the sport we love…

CaroLiza_fan

ahy

Final Flight
Marin Honda, Miyu Hona and their younger sister were really talented. Miyu went to Russia and met Plushenko for a TV show.
DaBin Choi of SK seems promising too.
Jun Hwan Cha of SK is really talented.

ericpkh98

Rinkside
Even though most of the fans in GoldenSkate Forum cannot see, there was an upload of short video clip of Soyoun Park's 3Lz-3T combination in her South Korean official fancafe website a year ago. I think she will focus to perfect the combination in her off-season training in U.S. I would love to see her 3-3 combination in her grand prix circuit. If she is able to put the combination and keep being consistent with her jumps, she will definitely be one of the frontrunners in the figure skating world.

hanca

Record Breaker

CaroLiza_fan

I like Anna Ovcharova very much too, but unfortunately technically she is not the skater she was in 2010. I loved her SP this season - she really went for it. Her FS did not have the same attack. She has got something that draws me in and make me want to watch her. I can't put a finger on what it is. Charisma, X factor? Anna is an example how injury, puberty and relocation can play such a havoc with skating. It is sad. In 2010 I could imagine her having the potential to be medalling at Europeans and perhaps first five in the worlds. At the moment what I saw it looked more like potential to get to first ten at European with a bit of luck, but not better. We will see. Hope she will prove me wrong.

Kristina Zaseeva is probably not going anywhere any more. There is too big competition for spots and she would be somewhere at the bottom of the Russian Federation priority list, based on her results last season. I think she will do a few Russian competition and then slowly disappears from the skating within the next few season.

ahy

Final Flight
Even though most of the fans in GoldenSkate Forum cannot see, there was an upload of short video clip of Soyoun Park's 3Lz-3T combination in her South Korean official fancafe website a year ago. I think she will focus to perfect the combination in her off-season training in U.S. I would love to see her 3-3 combination in her grand prix circuit. If she is able to put the combination and keep being consistent with her jumps, she will definitely be one of the frontrunners in the figure skating world.

Can i have the link please :D

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
She has got something that draws me in and make me want to watch her. I can't put a finger on what it is. Charisma, X factor?

I know what you mean - you can't help but like Anna. There is just something really infectious about her. Personally, I reckon it is her smile. It is just so beautiful! :love:

A photo she uploaded 3 weeks ago
A photo she uploaded yesterday

Either that or the fact that she is alway happy no matter how she does in her programmes.

I like Anna Ovcharova very much too, but unfortunately technically she is not the skater she was in 2010. I loved her SP this season - she really went for it. Her FS did not have the same attack.

Anna is an example how injury, puberty and relocation can play such a havoc with skating. It is sad. In 2010 I could imagine her having the potential to be medalling at Europeans and perhaps first five in the worlds. At the moment what I saw it looked more like potential to get to first ten at European with a bit of luck, but not better. We will see. Hope she will prove me wrong.

Unfortunately, however much I may want to, I can't argue with that assessment.

Most girls her age have only had to deal with puberty. But Anna had to deal with injuries, and huge upheaval in her personal life. So, for me, it is a great achievement that she has managed to get back to competing at international level. And, now that she has got that monkey off her back, she can focus on moving higher in the rankings.

When you think about it, this was really Anna's first season back after a long lay off. There are not many people who can come back after a few years away from their sport and immediately carry on from where they left off. Kim Yun-A did it, but she is a totally different level of skater. Plushy has had quite a few lengthy lay-offs. Sometimes he has come back strong, other times he hasn't.

Personally, I do have hope. If she puts the work in, I believe that Anna has the potential to become a regular Top 10 finisher not just at Europeans, but perhaps even at Worlds.

But, as I said before, I am totally biased where Anna is concerned... ;) :biggrin:

Kristina Zaseeva is probably not going anywhere any more. There is too big competition for spots and she would be somewhere at the bottom of the Russian Federation priority list, based on her results last season. I think she will do a few Russian competition and then slowly disappears from the skating within the next few season.

Can't argue with that assessment either.

HOWEVER, I don't think Kristina will disappear completely. She has got other options. Like, just today, we have seen that Sofia Biryukova is switching to Pairs skating (thread here). So, could we see Kristina Zaseeva do the same?

Having seen what she can be capable of, it would be a real shame if she just faded out of the picture completely.

CaroLiza_fan

hanca

Record Breaker
HOWEVER, I don't think Kristina will disappear completely. She has got other options. Like, just today, we have seen that Sofia Biryukova is switching to Pairs skating (thread here). So, could we see Kristina Zaseeva do the same?

Having seen what she can be capable of, it would be a real shame if she just faded out of the picture completely.

The difference is that Biriukova is 160cm tall and Zaseeva is 170 cm tall. While Biriukova is small enough for pairs, Zaseeva belongs among the taller ladies and has no chance getting into pairs.

Saying that, pairs are currently so competitive in Russia that Biriukova will struggle to even qualify to the nationals. While in Russia they have 18 ladies competing at the nationals, they allow only 12 pairs to compete. Out of my head I can name 12 pairs that are now better, plus plenty of other pairs that may or may nor work out.

ericpkh98

Rinkside
Even if I post the link in this forum, you guys can not see it immediately because you have to login firstly(probably sign up the Korean website), sign up the fancafe, and satisfy certain standards provided by the fancafe. Korean websites are kind of closed to foreign users; I'm sorry :( Just wait until the grand prix circuit or four continents!

Eclair

Medalist
US:
Has Karen Chen already been mentioned? :) very mature presentation for her age
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqxWK1DOEd8

Or Nathan Chen (are they related?? ...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHVKoCPmxNA

Candada:
Canada's big hope is Nam Nguyen

South Korea:
Da Bin Choi
also they have a new ice dance and pair skating pair who are apparently very promising, but I forgot their names -_-'

Japan:
I think Shoma Uma looks promising
and the newly formed Team Takahashi/ Kihara, formerly Takahashi/Tran just need some time

China:
Xiao Yu/ Yang Jin looked talented few years ago, I have stopped following them but I believe they're still one of the top juniors/ young seniors in China

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Karen and Nathan Chen aren't related. But I do agree that their skating is really good and I hope both of them get over their injuries.... (I think it's them?)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Last night, my news feed on Facebook was getting inundated with videos of Lisa Nugumanova (Russia).

Unfortunately for those that are not on Facebook, the videos that were being shared around last night had been uploaded directly to her Dad's profile. However, there are quite a few videos of her on YouTube.

I can tell you something, for somebody so young, she looks impressive!

So, perhaps this is somebody we should keep an eye out for in the future.

CaroLiza_fan

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Something recently occurred that made me want to bump this thread. I noticed that in discussion of the Philadelphia Summer Championships, a US club competition, everyone was talking about a young man named Andrew Torgashev. He is referenced in Lynn Rutherford's article here:

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/07/21/85572800

Anyway, I went to go search for some programs of his and was pretty impressed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9-b1lRkuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrjOdUw--WQ

ETA: Noticed Andrew is listed as an alternate for the first JGP event.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Last night, my news feed on Facebook was getting inundated with videos of Lisa Nugumanova (Russia).

Unfortunately for those that are not on Facebook, the videos that were being shared around last night had been uploaded directly to her Dad's profile. However, there are quite a few videos of her on YouTube.

I can tell you something, for somebody so young, she looks impressive!

So, perhaps this is somebody we should keep an eye out for in the future.

CaroLiza_fan

Impressive, indeed! :clap: YouTube indicates that this was uploaded by her dad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XThW9qB2aUU

Aside from everything else, her arm movements caught my eye -- so fluid, graceful, and natural. I bet she's had a lot of ballet training.

Country
Russia

I admit, I am totally biased when it comes to Anna. I have been a fan of her skating for a few years now, and over the past year or so I have become quite good friends with her.

Anna was a very promising Junior level skater. 2010 was definitely her best year. In Russian Juniors, she finished 2nd, coming back from a disappointing 8th in the SP to win the FS. It is worth looking at the results sheet to see the names that Anna beat! Then in Junior Worlds, Anna came 5th (behind Murakami, Zawadski, Agafanova and Shelepin). This time, she won the SP, but came 8th in the FS.

But the next few years were tough for Anna. First, she had problems with her leg, which ultimately needed surgery. Then her family decided to move to Switzerland, as Anna’s brother was at a private school there.

About a year ago, Anna did an interview with a Russian language newspaper in Switzerland (translation on FSU) and she admitted that she found it very hard to adjust to living in a foreign country, and getting taught in a foreign language and everything. I found it very upsetting to hear this and, after reading it, I just wanted to fly over there and give her a big hug!

But, things have improved since then. Anna has settled into life in Switzerland, and is actually enjoying living there now (I asked her about it myself). She entered Swiss Nationals in 2012, and finished 2nd at her first attempt. Then, in 2013, she won the title.

Anna competed for Switzerland at the World Championships this year, and although she made quite a few mistakes, and had a few falls, you could see how much she was enjoying the experience.

Nevertheless, for my choices of programmes to watch, I am going to go back to her Junior days. The SP in particular is brilliant!

2010 Junior World Championships SP
2010 Russian Junior Championships FS
Some addition.
Anna Ovcharova was 2nd at Russian JrNats 2010, after Agafonova. She was ahead Shelepen, Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova, Radionova. Lipnitskaia and Radionova that season were very young but well known as very talented skaters.
She did not compete at season 2010/2011 because of medical reasons.
At season 2011/2012 RusFed was good for her. Anna had two Russian Cup Events (6 and 8 places) and SeniorB (Coupe de Nice 2011 - 3rd place). She was also an Nationals (by solution of RusFed, 6 and 8 places of Russian Cup Events were not high enough) and was 17th of 18. Anna had chance to return in Russian top, but skated not so good.
After that she went to Switzerland (with her parents) and at season 2013/2014 competed for Switzerland at four SeniorB's and Worlds.

There is absolutely unofficial info that she may retire.

She retired at autumn 2013.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Has anyone mentioned Rebecca Peng, Vivian Le, Pooja Kalyan or Tessa Hong? (All USA. First 2 Novice, second 2 Intermediate last season)?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Some addition.
Anna Ovcharova was 2nd at Russian JrNats 2010, after Agafonova. She was ahead Shelepen, Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaia, Sotnikova, Radionova. Lipnitskaia and Radionova that season were very young but well known as very talented skaters.
She did not compete at season 2010/2011 because of medical reasons.
At season 2011/2012 RusFed was good for her. Anna had two Russian Cup Events (6 and 8 places) and SeniorB (Coupe de Nice 2011 - 3rd place). She was also an Nationals (by solution of RusFed, 6 and 8 places of Russian Cup Events were not high enough) and was 17th of 18. Anna had chance to return in Russian top, but skated not so good.
After that she went to Switzerland (with her parents) and at season 2013/2014 competed for Switzerland at four SeniorB's and Worlds.

There is absolutely unofficial info that she may retire.

Don't worry - I know most of that stuff. I was deliberately trying not to lay it all on this time. You see, any time Anna has come into the conversation in other threads, I have tended to go on and on about her, because I like her so much. So, I didn't want everybody to be getting bored by me again! :laugh:

Unless something has happened within the past month, Anna is definitely not retiring. A few weeks ago, she sent me a PM asking if I knew of any competitions in August. This prompted me to start a thread on here asking that very question, but I was very dismayed and upset that there was only one proper reply.

Anyway, apart from this, she was really excited about her GP allocation at the NHK trophy. And she has been posting quite a few photos of her on the ice at Oberstdorf recently.

Oh, how I hope this rumour isn't true!

She retired at autumn 2013.

That is a real pity, as I really thought Kristina had a lot of potential.

Back in December, I posted a link in Adelina's Fan Fest thread to a video that some of the CSKA skaters had made to mark Adelina's birthday. Unfortunately, that particular link doesn't work any more, but somebody posted the same video to YouTube a few months ago.

Сборы 2013)

For me, Adelina and Kristina were the standout stars of this video. So, it is a real shame that while one of them is now an Olympic Gold Medallist, the other has just quietly disappeared from the skating scene.

All the best to whatever Kristina gets up to in the future

CaroLiza_fan

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Has anyone mentioned Rebecca Peng, Vivian Le, Pooja Kalyan or Tessa Hong? (All USA. First 2 Novice, second 2 Intermediate last season)?

I know Tessa piqued some interest last season thanks to TSL. Rumor was Frank didn't attend NHK with Gracie b/c he'd already had plans to be with Tessa for sectionals/regionals (whichever one it was). She's a lovely skater for someone so young. Nice lines and presentation...it will be interesting to see how she progresses.

I'm ready for the JGP season to get started. I love watching the junior ladies not only b/c many of them are so fearless and haven't succumbed to the pressure of expectation, but b/c it's always fun to say, "Well I've been watching so-and-so since their junior days." :biggrin: For some you get to watch them grow/mature and succeed, for others you watch them struggle...especially with the ladies. I've watched so many promising skaters teeter out once they hit the senior level. It's always a toss up.

I'm wondering who will emerge as the one to beat this year? Last year the Russians ruled (as per usual) but no one really dominated. In seasons past, there's been a clear cut favorite (Adelina, Julia, Elena) but last season there wasn't one. None of the top Russian juniors from last year will be competing seniors this year so it's likely there will be a round two of last season. I'm excited to see what happens. The first event is less than a month away...wonder when the ISU will post the official entries list?