Zijun Li vs. Kaetlyn Osmond: The Unsung Rivalry | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Zijun Li vs. Kaetlyn Osmond: The Unsung Rivalry

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She might have done better, but even if she had fallen in just the SP, she still would have placed off the podium given Kim/Kostner's perfect skates and Sotnikova obviously being the Russian favourite once Julia erred in the SP.

The men's field is more inconsistent, but this is due to the demands of high difficulty (most attempting 2-3 quads, and a quad in the SP being practically mandatory unless you're Jason Brown).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^What if she'd skated both programs perfectly? More likely than a well-skated men's competition, that's for sure. :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
^What if she'd skated both programs perfectly? More likely than a well-skated men's competition, that's for sure. :laugh:

Well, depends... if Julia beat Sotnikova (which isn't likely, given a clean SP/7-triple FS Sotnikova does better than a clean SP/7-triple FS Lipnitskaia) then she would be the one vilified by everyone for beating Kim and Kostner. Her team event total was just over 214 points which wouldn't have earned bronze, however it's obvious that Lip's PCS would have sky rocketed if she went clean in the individual skate, just like Sotnikova's did, enough to surpass Kostner and maybe even Kim.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think Yulia's win would've been better accepted for the general public (vs. Adelina's) after she wowed everyone with the Team Event.

That being said, I'd rather she didn't have a controversial gold attached to her name, so I'm happy she got team gold instead (with zero controversy--in fact, great respect).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Yulia's win would've been better accepted for the general public (vs. Adelina's) after she wowed everyone with the Team Event.

That being said, I'd rather she didn't have a controversial gold attached to her name, so I'm happy she got team gold instead (with zero controversy--in fact, great respect).

I think it might have been more palatable if she skated clean (Adelina's hop out on the 3-jump combo beating a clean Kim/Kostner are what drew a lot of ire... similar to how B/S won with a stepout while S/P skated clean in SLC). However the reality is, Julia's PCS score should be nowhere near Kim and Kostner's, just like Adelina. The assumption is, if Kim skates clean, she must win (and to knowledgeable skating fans the same applied to Kostner if she ever managed to skate clean which she finally did) over the Russian girls, due to artistic superiority. It still would have been outrageous.

Another thing, Julia didn't have to face Kim in the team FS, so she was possibly viewed as a potential "winner" going into the individual event. Sotnikova, to many viewers, came out of nowhere and beat Queen Yu Na.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Artistry is subjective, though, and the general public seems to have connected with Yulia a lot more than Adelina.

What rankled me was the SP scores. Why on earth should someone who did 3T-3T tie with someone who did 3Lz-3T? (Even if Yuna missed a level on the step sequence, it shouldn't be enough to make up the difference in jump content). Unless the first person is Michelle Kwan, I can't accept this. :p

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Exactly. There was a thread earlier if an Olympic team gold is even worth as much as an individual silver or bronze. Well in this case I would much rather Julia's Team Gold which made her a darling to the public than Adelina's forever soiled individual one which has made her an albatross of sorts outside of Russia.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Exactly. There was a thread earlier if an Olympic team gold is even worth as much as an individual silver or bronze. Well in this case I would much rather Julia's Team Gold which made her a darling to the public than Adelina's forever soiled individual one which has made her an albatross of sorts outside of Russia.

I certainly don't consider her an albatross outside of Russia, as do several people on this board. She skated well, regardless of where the judges placed her.

Anyone with common sense knows it was the judges and not Adelina who should be vilified for the bogus Sochi win.

No matter how many more whiney rants you spew attempting to disparage Adelina, shestill has an OGM and a pretty strong Olympic SP/FS to show for it (even if Kim/Kostner were more deserving).

Even more delusional to think her winning the Olympics and having that title has made her an "albatross" outside of Russia, when she has fans all over the world (hah, well, maybe not as many in Korea).