Trivial FS Pursuit | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Trivial FS Pursuit

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: Trivial FS Pursuit- more questions

10 points a piece

The Grand Prix events have had different names in the past.

What was the name for Skate America before it was Skate America?

What was the name for Cup of Russia before it was Cup of Russia?

What was the name of Bofrost before it was Bofrost? (this one is easy)

dpp

B

berthes ghost

Re: Trivial FS Pursuit

David Jenkins is not the right answer.

I think that Lily Kronberger was the one who brought her own band, but I wouldn't doubt it if others soon copied.

Bofrost was Nations Cup and something like Spartakans.

R

rgirl181

Goodness gracious! I go away for 48 hours and this thread goes from 2 to 4 pages!

Doris: I think Bofrost Cup was Sparkessun (sp?) Cup until just last year. In any case it's held in Germany. I should know (or be able to look up;) ) what Skate America and Cup of Russia were since these changes were relatively recent (w/i last ten years), but I'm too tired.

BTW Dee, the only reason I was Trivial Pursuit pairs champ at the UofU in '85 was because we played a lot of Trivial Pursuit on tour, I used to have a good memory, and only five other teams entered. We really just wanted the T-shirts you got if you won.

Rgirl's question: Who is the first skater to land 3Lutz/3loop in competition and what competition/year was it?
Rgirl
BTW Doris, if I'm right, you don't have to give me any points. Between you, Berthes, and Donna, I won't even make the Q round.
Rgirl

B

berthes ghost

3z/3r Irina at 2000 GPF 2nd LP.

M

mathman444

Doris and Donna, Sonja Henie probably did hire bands, but she is not the one I was thinking of, so I will reword my question:

What Hungarian skater brought her own band to the 1911 World Championships?

For 15 points, what is the oldest figure skating club in North America, in what year was it established, and why does it have the words "Humane Society" in it's name?

Mathman

T

tdnuva

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">What Hungarian skater brought her own band to the 1911 World Championships?</blockquote>

Ok - there is a chance of 1 out of 3 - I'll give it a try with Lily Kronberger (after all she won <g>)...

D

dlksk8fan

The Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club founded in 1827 and then there is the oldest skating club in the US- the Philadelphia Skating Club and Humane Society founded in 1849. At a time when skating was done outside on frozen lakes a lot of people would fall through the ice and the Humane Society was there with ropes to pull them out.

D

dlksk8fan

Lily Kronberger not only won the World Championship in 1911 but also in 1908,1909, & 1910. Another Hungarian won the next 3 years -who can name that person?

D

Dee4707

All I can say is you all are just so amazing!!

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>At a time when skating was done outside on frozen lakes a lot of people would fall through the ice and the Humane Society was there with ropes to pull them out.[/quote]
:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Sorry, but I just found that so funny!!

Dee

T

tdnuva

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">Lily Kronberger not only won the World Championship in 1911 but also in 1908,1909, & 1910. Another Hungarian won the next 3 years -who can name that person?</blockquote>

Opika von Meray-Horvath who was already 2nd in 1911... :)

M

mathman444

Apologies to Berthes Ghost. who already answered the Lilly Kronberger question before my last post, but I missed it. Double congratulations to tdnuva for the last two answers.

And of course, to dlk for the humane society! I thought that was pretty funny, too. But probably deadly serious in those days. They no doubt saved many people from drowning in the Schuykill (say "sky-kl") River.

Mathman

T

tdnuva

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">Double congratulations to tdnuva for the last two answers.</blockquote>

Thanks. :))

On the other hand I'm still waiting for the solution which US oly gold medalist was coached by another one. I really searched for it, but the nearest thing I came was that Tara Lipinski was said to wear a t-shirt with Peggy Fleming on it for good luck.... ;-)

D

DORISPULASKI

Philadelphia Skating Club and Humane society was originally founded to rescue dogs that fell through the ice among other things, still exists, and I have been told it is more exclusive than it's name would imply.

Sparkassen or Nation's Cup is right for Bofrost. 10 pts to berthe's ghost

Does anyone know Cup of Russia or Skate America?

dpp

D

DORISPULASKI

mathman, Is Opika von Meray-Horvath the Hungarian Ladies World Champion you wanted? Edited to say sorry, I didn't get in before tdnuva.

Doris

T

tdnuva

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">Edited to say sorry, I didn't get in before tdnuva.</blockquote>

That's the advantage or disadvantage (depending when a question is posted) of different time zones... ;-)

B

berthes ghost

Museum of Horror

Easy bonus questions worth 2 points each

1. Which Oly champ had polio as a child?
2. Which Oly champ had internal organs which refused to grow as a child?
3. Which Oly champ had foot problems (pidgeon toes IIRC) as a child?
4. Which World champ had part of her foot cut off by a lawn mower as a child?
5. Which Oly champ gashed her leg during a fall in Oly practice?
6. Which Oly champ gashed her leg during a collision in Oly practice?
7. Which US National champ had asthma?
8. Which US National champ had a legally blind mother?
9. Which Oly champ was a fat kid who's first coach predicted would never learn to skate?
10. Which World champ was the first to win with (yuck!) his own sister as partner?

T

tdnuva

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">2. Which Oly champ had internal organs which refused to grow as a child?</blockquote>

Scott Hamilton?

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">10. Which World champ was the first to win with (yuck!) his own sister as partner?</blockquote>

My listings say it must the pair of Phyllis and James Johnson from Great Britain - in 1909 (and again in 1912)

B

berthes ghost

#2 Correct

#10 Incorrect. The Johnsons were husband and wife.

T

tdnuva

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">10 Incorrect. The Johnsons were husband and wife.</blockquote>

Hmmm. I have never seen anything of them - I just read somewhere they were brother and sister.

But anyhow. The next team I have identified as siblings are Karol & Peter Kennedy, Worlds 1950.

Special remark: They only won once, they "lost" (2nd) the next two worlds to "our Germans" Ria Baran & Paul Falk... :)