Top Knot Bun: Not Only Practical But Big Fashion Impact Too | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Top Knot Bun: Not Only Practical But Big Fashion Impact Too

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
shows how much impact Gracie is making in US Figure skating, she is setting a trend for ladies figure skaing
also trend, fashion seems to follow her, IMG, Vogue, Pandora, Cover Girl :)

Hah, yes, because she's clearly the first person to ever wear a top knot bun. :laugh:

Nevertheless, I think GG's bun looks very elegant and suits her. :)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I didn't mind Gracie's new do. It worked well with the look Frank cultivated for her last season. It was elegant and simple and helped tie the new packaging together well.

But top knots/buns are not new to skating at all. So I wouldn't necessarily say Gracie has started a trend...you can't "start" something that was there from the beginning.

I am interested in seeing what direction Gracie's skating will take. Her whole image was manufactured last year b/c they needed to turn her around and make her a contender for Sochi. Mission accomplished. It was a definite step up. But now that she has the positioning she needs to be at the top, I wonder if she will develop an actual style or personality on the ice, or if she/Frank will stick with the pwetty ice pwincess image.

desertskates

Medalist
Honestly, the more I though about it, my preference would have been this: short program with red dress, keep the lips (if she must) and lose the bun for a braid. For the long, I can see why the bun works in most opinions, it showed off the unique closures on her dress. But the red lips were jarring against the delicate blue. I think what bothered me about the bun the most is that is not all her hair. There's some mesh-y donut thingamajigger in there.
I'm excited to see what she brings next season, I hope it truly suits her and gives her confidence.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Honestly, the more I though about it, my preference would have been this: short program with red dress, keep the lips (if she must) and lose the bun for a braid. For the long, I can see why the bun works in most opinions, it showed off the unique closures on her dress. But the red lips were jarring against the delicate blue. I think what bothered me about the bun the most is that is not all her hair. There's some mesh-y donut thingamajigger in there.
I'm excited to see what she brings next season, I hope it truly suits her and gives her confidence.

Yeah, those help the bun to keep it's shape. She probably has enough hair to do a bun but the donut is probably necessary given all of the spinning and jumping she has to do.

louisa05

Final Flight

Gracie's lipstick is the wrong shade of red for her skin tone. I think that is what is so jarring about it.

As for the mesh thing in the bun--I think that is to secure it without hairpins that could fall out on the ice and lead to disaster if a blade hit them.

desertskates

Medalist
I think a lot of skaters who wear buns use those. I remember Michelle always wore one. Keeps everything in place. For darker haired people, it was never that noticeable. Maybe on blond hair it looks a little awkward?

Hmmm, I wouldn't have guessed Michelle had one, her bun always looked so natural. You're probably on the right track with the hair color thing. I tried one once (and I'm blonde) and it looked awkward and artificial.
But, I'm sure Gracie, like all young girls, likes to change up her hair, so who knows what we'll see next :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
That is a very pretty pink. People with pale skin tone always pull off the pink shades nicely. Darker skin looks great with orange or earth tone I think.

I hope it stays this way too. ;) These two-pages shows us the possibilities that people could have different opinions in a very constructive way. Talking about hair-style and make-up is fun and put us in lightening moods.

Absolutely -- let's hear it for the girly-girls! :clap:

(This girly-girl wants Charlie's mop to make a come-back... :biggrin:)

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Hmmm, I wouldn't have guessed Michelle had one, her bun always looked so natural. You're probably on the right track with the hair color thing. I tried one once (and I'm blonde) and it looked awkward and artificial.
But, I'm sure Gracie, like all young girls, likes to change up her hair, so who knows what we'll see next :)

I had to go back and edit my post. I saw "mesh" but didn't pay attention to the "donut" part you mentioned. :)

The mesh thing I was talking about in this post is a little cover Michelle used to fit over her bun. She didn't wear the donut, which is why she used the mesh.

desertskates

Medalist
I had to go back and edit my post. I saw "mesh" but didn't pay attention to the "donut" part you mentioned. :)

The mesh thing I was talking about in this post is a little cover Michelle used to fit over her bun. She didn't wear the donut, which is why she used the mesh.

Ok, the cover makes a lot of sense. I see the donut's purpose, but when I tried it, it was clunky and weird. But, to each their own :) I use these things: http://www.folica.com/tools/hair-ba...id=005124-BL&gclid=CMu2rvSL5r4CFQiUfgodJzcAFQ
They make a bun mega secure. But, If Gracie likes the donut, then so be it. And god knows, I'll never test my 'do at the level she does.

And yay :clap: for the girly girls having a normal chat. Very nice :)

noskates

Record Breaker
The other thing, and I could definitely be wrong about this, but don't a lot/most of the elite figure skaters have stylists? We're all making the assumption that bright red lipstick is Gracie's color of choice....maybe she's been told that's what she should wear?

And I'm all for Charlie's hair having it's own hashtag. LOVE the curly mop.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The other thing, and I could definitely be wrong about this, but don't a lot/most of the elite figure skaters have stylists? We're all making the assumption that bright red lipstick is Gracie's color of choice....maybe she's been told that's what she should wear?

And I'm all for Charlie's hair having it's own hashtag. LOVE the curly mop.

Long before her CoverGirl contract, Gracie Gold already had given lots of "circumstantial evidence" ;) (IMHO) that bright red was her very own choice ... based on random off-ice selfies and other spontaneous off-ice photos in non-official settings, and based on comments here and there in interviews.

Has Charlie White's hair not had one or more hashtags ... in the days since his new summer 'do, if not before?? (I don't know either way.)
It already has had at least two Twitter accounts. Dunno whether the perpetrator is/are the same as for the Twitter accounts for Jason's ponytail and Poje's hair.
(OTOH, I believe that Meryl Davis's hair -- distinctive in its own right -- has been Twitterless so far. :eek: Go figure (no pun intended). Mrs. P, correct me if I am wrong.)

This: https://www.etsy.com/listing/100725037/poppin-pink-peach-lip-gloss-10-ml-tube
along with a lower braided bun would look lovely on her. And Ashley, for that matter.

Love this lip color, DS. :)

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
I spent a long time looking at pictures of Gracie trying to figure out why I didn't like her look. It was a classic red lip and a classic top knot on a pretty girl, whyyyyyyyyyy.... do I not like this? I should like this.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Gracie's hair or lips individually, but they look too severe when put together with the high collar of the blue dress. If she had kept the lip but loosened or lowered the bun, or kept the high and tight bun but had a more natural lip, it would have looked much softer. I DO think her eyebrows are too dark if she's going to be a light blond. Also, if her roots had not been so obvious the look would have gelled better. (Aside: Gracie had more important things to worry about, but I'm honestly flummoxed that Cover Girl didn't do anything about that. I know they're a makeup and not a hair company, but hair and makeup play off each other and you don't want your spokesperson going on international TV looking anything less than shiny penny polished.)

I liked Radionova's bun because it was a little too large- it looked off kilter and spunky, which matched the wild costume she was wearing.

Ashley rocked the hell out of that high ponytail in the SP, but I felt the bun in the LP elongated her already long face. It was a good choice to wear it loose.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't think there's anything wrong with Gracie's hair or lips individually, but they look too severe when put together with the high collar of the blue dress.

:agree: Spot on! I kept thinking it was just the dress that made her look too old, but you're absolutely right that the real culprit was the combination.