How Much Does Choreography Cost? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How Much Does Choreography Cost?

Icey

Record Breaker
So let's crown Joshua Farris the World Champion and have done with it already then shall we?

:eek:World championships are determined by much more than points given for choreography. You know that so why make a statement like that?

Icey

Record Breaker
Quote from Averbukh "I will say a shocking thing, perhaps, but the choreography in competitive figure skating is just in its infancy."

I see no reason for a skater to not be able to do their own choreography. Some would probably do quite well and others would faulter. I however do not like setting a rule one way or the other. It seems too constrictive IMO and some skaters may not even have interest in doing it. What is good for one is not always good for all. Some people just aren't creative and need someone to help them. Lets not forget how many hours these atheletes are already logging in.

True, some people are not as creative as others and they would suffer the consequences of that, just as skaters suffer the consequences of not being as flexible as another skater, or as good a spinner as another skater, or as artistic as another skater. The rules are not changed to adjust for those differences in ability, so why single out choreography for that kind of treatment.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think if they started requiring skaters to do their own choreography we will probably get a few Milli Vanilli's; where there is 'oh yeah xyz skater did this all their own' - then a year or 2 down the line we find out otherwise and then we are getting into stripping titles away and awarding somebody else the gold 2 or more years later - like track.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:eek:World championships are determined by much more than points given for choreography. You know that so why make a statement like that?

I was joking in response to a really rather ridiculous suggestion.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Yes - and they do this whether they did the program themselves or whether they hired a professional to do it for them. Joshua is obviously not a fool and neither is Jeremy but according to you they are because they did their own programs.

And some professional choreographers just aren't the best choice for a skater. By season's end I would rather have seen Max ad-lib his own version of Carmen than watch him try to put energy into that rubbish Nichol gave him.

:agree: