13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating

edenlover

On the Ice
:rock: :party:

Absolutely, I love to know some of the background of the music that a skater uses.

And of Steinbeck's novels I have read Of Mice and Man and Grapes of Wrath. But I read that East of Eden is definitely worth reading, so I should get to that as well.

The book is like Michelle's performance. It is timeless. It draws you in and challenges you with the realities of life and the ties to the past. It is a book I read every ten years, it seems, and each time I get something new from it, just like I do when I rewatch
Michelle's performances of East of Eden. You won't go wrong to delve into it. And before you do, reread the story of Caine and Abel directly from the Bible, then look for the parallels. The theme is about the gift of free will--and the choices we make between good and evil in our lives.

edenlover

On the Ice
You'll remember that one of my signs of addiciton is recalling that skaters from 20 years ago used music that others think is something original... here's a good example of that! I did not know that U/M had used this music before!

I've read East of Eden once when in High School and once just a year ago (and those two time periods are NOT close together LOL). I enjoyed the novel and sensed Biblical nuance, but did not make the connection to Cain and Abel. Of course, now that you're pointed it out for me, it is obvious!

Someone else mentioned Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men. I also recommend Cannery Row. I live in Steinbeck country a couple of years long ago, and it gave me the incentive to rekindle the love I had of his writing in my youth. Such good stories.

I know we're way off topic here, but I confess I love when a topic drifts into barely related strands.

It's fun to be off topic once in a while. I would love to go into Steinbeck country. One of the characters in the book--can't remember which one without rereading my paper, which has long disintegrated (I wrote it in 1969), supposedly represents Steinbeck's maternal grandfather, who lived in the Salinas valley of California.

Yeh, I do agree with you; If you can recall skates to music from more than 20 years ago, you are addicted. Now, do you remember Tai and Randy's skate in 1980 Nationals where they incorporated a section from La Biadere (can't spell it) that Sarah Hughes used in either her Olympic free skate or for 2003? Tai and Randy did it with real passion--it was their slow section. It would have been in their Olympic Skate had Randy not been injured.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=EEAFDDF9C48973C01F02EEAFDDF9C48973C01F02

This has been a real walk down memory lane for me. I love this thread. THanks to everyone.

PS Here is the link to U/M https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zcYZASVFzQ It's to die for. Pavarotti is the artist.

I also have the piano sheet music--talk about addition.

76olympics

On the Ice
* You bought figure skating t-shirts for shows you couldn't attend ( SOI never came to my town and COI cancelled twice)

* You have a library of figure skating videos on your computer

* You have a HUGE library of figure skating books - ( two autographed!)

* I even have a cheesy figure skating magazine SPECIAL ISSUE that I found at the grocery store in 2000. It has little blurbs about skaters from 1900 to that point. Evan Lysacek and Sasha Cohen are pictured at the end as skaters to watch.

I just went to get it. The title is "Ice Queens and Kings: Their Triumphs, Tragedies, Scandals and Secrets." Lots of photographs..I still look at it from time to time.

http://www.amazon.com/Queens-Kings-Specials-Magazine-April/dp/B004EET2OI

* I had my sister bring me a bottle of Katia's perfume from NC because we didn't have a Target in our town then.

I am getting embarrassed. I have to stop!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks everybody for the laughs. Love threads like this. More humour to the forum :rock:

Better indicators:

You still debate the outcome of the Ladies Olympic event... from 1980.

You can name all the Soviet/Russian Olympic Champions, as well as the Americans and Canadians, from all skating events, off the top of your head.

Although a piece of skating music may seem original, you recall that a junior used it 20 years ago.

You're very excited when skaters from countries like Brazil qualify for the Olympics.

You have actually kept up with the goings-on of Charlie White's and Jason Brown's hair.

You care about Meryl and Maks.

Six out of six for me!
Really? I'm not sure I believe you :confused: If these are the signs I'd only get 1/6, the excitment for Brazil thing..

I had #8 happen to me once.
Skating on thin ice then???

Other indicators:

You check in with figure skating boards daily, sometimes even two or three times a day.
This is my obsession sign, skimming/checking for interesting news/information every other day. Or looking for funny threads like this or the great 'stupid questions thread'.

Absolutely, I love to know some of the background of the music that a skater uses.

And of Steinbeck's novels I have read Of Mice and Man and Grapes of Wrath. But I read that East of Eden is definitely worth reading, so I should get to that as well.

Music, yes, I get to know so much versatile music from this forum.
(I read Steinbeck at school, bu not East of Eden, though I saw the film, great author)

I got three right. (We all know how to pronounce Ul-rik Sal-kov, right? :) )

As I'm living in Sweden number 13 got me my 3rd point easily. I doubt many english spoken people can pronounce Salkow. The a is pronounced as the u in sun, and then a light l. Correctly W = double V, though I hear it more and more here pronounced as in English… ouebb… oueiskey... sounds weired to me.

Better sign: you are most useful to your friends every four years, during the Winter Olympics.
So true, kudos to us :laugh:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
You spend quite a lot of time watching videos (fluff/interviews/documentaries...even tv commercials) in languages you don't understand, just to see your favorite skaters.

You plan your schedule around major competitions so you can watch them live, even if they happen in the middle of the night in your time zone.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
add few:
Whenever you hear a nice piece of music, you wanna make a fan montage video of your favorite skater.
Whenever your favorite skater announced program music, you started to edit or even suggest music right after the end of previous season.
you transfer every bit of your favorite skater's skating moment into a GIF picture and upload onto Tumblr.
You try to copy your favorite skater's moves both on and off ice.
You work butt off to save money, fly cross country to see your favorite skater.
You join skating forums of all sorts of languages and translate Your favorite skater's info from one language to another for free and really enjoy doing it.
You volunteer to every event of your local rink and secretly wish to work in the skating industry, such as a receptionist of your favorite skater's ice rink.

2 extreme obsession turned pro examples.
1: a well-know skating journalist learned all the languages of major skating countries including Chinese.
2: Akiko Suzuki worked as rink receptionist before make it big.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You download your favorite skater's music for her SP and when she crashes and burns in the Olympics refuse to listen to it ever again. Then she nails her SP at Worlds and you can't listen to it without the worlds biggest grin. Hypothetically speaking of course:biggrin:

DianaSelene

Medalist
You download your favorite skater's music for her SP and when she crashes and burns in the Olympics refuse to listen to it ever again. Then she nails her SP at Worlds and you can't listen to it without the worlds biggest grin. Hypothetically speaking of course:biggrin:

I know what you are talking about. :biggrin:

Speaking of which, an example of my obsession has to do with the 2010 Olympic men's event. I was so upset that Plushenko did not win that I vowed to never watch any performances from that night ever again. I haven't broken it yet...
Way too upsetting for me to go through those emotions a second time. :cry:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I know what you are talking about. :biggrin:

Speaking of which, an example of my obsession has to do with the 2010 Olympic men's event. I was so upset that Plushenko did not win that I vowed to never watch any performances from that night ever again. I haven't broken it yet...
Way too upsetting for me to go through those emotions a second time. :cry:
Alternative obsession test: You rewatch the competition over and over, trying to figure out why the result happened. But you cannot reach an understanding, so you decide to never watch it again... (I can still watch the SPs though).

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alternative obsession test: You rewatch the competition over and over, trying to figure out why the result happened. But you cannot reach an understanding, so you decide to never watch it again... (I can still watch the SPs though).

The only skate from Sochi [individual :)]I will ever watch again is......Send in the Clowns :love:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The only skate from Sochi [individual :)]I will ever watch again is......Send in the Clowns :love:

Really? There were heaps better or more interesting performances. I have Brooklee's and I will watch that again and again, but both of Yuna's programs were a yawnfest for me. (I didn't like Carolina's Ave Maria that much either.)

The only skate from Sochi individual I will never watch again is Brendan's. Because it still hurts too much, knowing what he can do.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really? There were heaps better or more interesting performances. I have Brooklee's and I will watch that again and again, but both of Yuna's programs were a yawnfest for me. (I didn't like Carolina's Ave Maria that much either.)

The only skate from Sochi individual I will never watch again is Brendan's. Because it still hurts too much, knowing what he can do.
Brooklee at Worlds!!! Her layback spin :love: I'd watch C/L SP from Sochi but honestly....Sochi ...meh. Worlds was much better IMO and there aren't umpteen threads full of yawn:slink:

Really? I'm not sure I believe you :confused: If these are the signs I'd only get 1/6, the excitment for Brazil thing..

Well, let's see. Charlie's and Jason's hair. Check. Shipping Meryl and Maks. Check. The rest, OK, maybe not. ;)

Here's a personal one for me.

(a) You are more interested in the governor's race in Rhode Island than in your own state.

(b) You understand (a). :)

anyanka

Record Breaker

Never stopped me from listening to it on repeat no matter what. ;)
Although a certain Saint-Saens piece has forever been tainted for me ...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's a personal one for me.

(a) You are more interested in the governor's race in Rhode Island than in your own state.

(b) You understand (a). :)

Yup! Although in PA, we're got to get rid of our governor (Tom Corbett), because he's been killing public education across the state! If he had his way, every school would become a charter school.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Yup! Although in PA, we're got to get rid of our governor (Tom Corbett), because he's been killing public education across the state! If he had his way, every school would become a charter school.

I am in PA as well and I agree 100%!!

I would also like to add: you debate on taking a Russian language class you you can understand the commentary on YouTube videos:)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would also like to add: you debate on taking a Russian language class you you can understand the commentary on YouTube videos:)

1/1.... :slink:

Also:

- your mood for the entire day is directly influenced by how your skaters skate
- you started skating because of your favourite skater
- your web browser bookmarks are 90% skating related (or more)
- you check for skating news on your breaks at work... :slink:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
1/1.... :slink: Also: - your mood for the entire day is directly influenced by how your skaters skate - you started skating because of your favourite skater - your web browser bookmarks are 90% skating related (or more) - you check for skating news on your breaks at work... :slink:

4/4.....

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I am in PA as well and I agree 100%!!

this, as well as the people you follow on Twitter who only speak Russian...you have learned Cyrillic through osmosis (the vocab & grammar are another story)