13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating

DianaSelene

Medalist

anyanka

Record Breaker
:agree:

You buy CDs of movie soundtracks that you've enjoyed in figure skating even if you haven't seen or had no intention of seeing.

You play games in the car when a song comes on the radio, and your passenger (if he/she is a fs fan) jokingly asks, "Who skates to this?"

When you hear the name "Elvis," your first thought is the skater, not the singer.

When you hear the name "Honda," you think "Takeshi Honda," not the car company.

Your friends call you up on the phone to remind you when fs in on.

Your friends ask you about Olympic contenders every four years.

5/6 for me!!

gammarae

Rinkside
You see a thread like this on Golden Skate and you immediately copy the URL and send it to your friends.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I knew I was obsessed when I watched the movie Out of Africa after seeing Savchenko/Szolkowy skate to the soundtrack and liking really liking the music. Also, I have heard the East of Eden music so often that I feel like actually watching the movie -- that's on my to do list.

I also had my boyfriend try to wash my hair like Robert did to Meryl in Out of Africa ... except it ended up like on Sex & the City where Miranda was on her honeymoon and Steve did that, then she awkwardly yelled "ouch! I have shampoo in my eye! get it out!!" and it became painful and clumsy.

And oh yes I bought that theme and put in on my iPod. I play it to relax during work. But I think of S/S and not of Robert and Meryl when I hear it.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I got 4 out of 13: Points 2, 3, 6 and 13.

1. You can anticipate the judges’ score within a tenth of a point.

Erm, can anybody do that?! :laugh:

But, can I just be pedantic for a moment about the photo for number 8.

I was uncertain about whether or not a skater can drill a hole in the ice and fall through.

The photo of the skater spinning through the ice. That is clearly a purpose built ice rink in the photo. Ice rinks are normally built on solid ground. So it is not possible in this case.

HOWEVER, if it was a frozen lake with water underneath the ice, then theoretically it should be possible to spin through the ice. It would have to take a lot of time and effort from the skater, but...

ERM, COULD YOU COME HERE A MOMENT, LUCINDA...

I got three right. (We all know how to pronounce Ul-rik Sal-kov, right? :) )

THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS MATHMAN!!!! People saying "Sal-kow" has been annoying me for years!!!

Just like people saying Ashley "Wag-ner" rather than "Vag-ner" has been annoying me for years...

As for TontoK's suggestions, I only got 1 out of 6, namely:

You're very excited when skaters from countries like Brazil qualify for the Olympics.

Of course! We all love an underdog, don't we? ;)

As for the other suggestion lists, sorry to anyanka, edenlover, and iluvtodd, but I haven't got to the stage of any of your suggestions yet!

Well, I do check Golden Skate every time I'm online. But, that doesn't show you're obsessed, does it...?! :unsure:

When you hear the name "Honda," you think "Takeshi Honda," not the car company.

Erm, motorbike company. The cars are just a sideline. ;)

I will give them props for that Lego pairs JPG, though. (Also a nice tie-in since the Lego Movie also opened the week the article was published.)

THANK YOU FOR COMMENTING ABOUT THE LEGO!!! Because it has given me an excuse to post a link to a video I love!

During their run-in to the opening ceremony, the BBC showed a homage to memorable Winter Olympics moments re-created in Lego:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__zyDuSGXXk

IT IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!! Among the moments featured is Torvill and Dean winning the Ice Dance Gold in Sarajevo.

Enjoy!

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.. But, can I just be pedantic for a moment ...

Just like people saying Ashley "Wag-ner" rather than "Vag-ner" has been annoying me for years...

CL_fan, I (seriously :yes:) love it when you are pedantic.

But ... I highly doubt that Ashley herself and her family use the pronunciation of "Vag-ner."
Many (even most, I daresay) Americans with that surname call themselves, "Wag-ner" (no matter what pronunciation is correct in Germany). And the nickname "Wags" is pronounced like the verb for what a dog does with its tail.
I have two American friends named Wagner (who are not from the same family), and they both say, "Wag-ner."
(And of course, I believe that the correct way to pronounce -- or spell -- a person's name is the way that the person chooses for her/himself.)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CL_fan, I (seriously :yes:) love it when you are pedantic.

But ... I highly doubt that Ashley herself and her family use the pronunciation of "Vag-ner."
Many (even most, I daresay) Americans with that surname call themselves, "Wag-ner" (no matter what pronunciation is correct in Germany). And the nickname "Wags" is pronounced like the verb for what a dog does with its tail.
I have two American friends named Wagner (who are not from the same family), and they both say, "Wag-ner."
(And of course, I believe that the correct way to pronounce -- or spell -- a person's name is the way that the person chooses for her/himself.)

Oh, don't worry about it! Everybody looks at things in a slightly different way. Hey, the world would be a much more boring place if we all thought the same about everything! ;)

As somebody who has always had a soft spot for all things German, it just makes me cringe whenever I hear "Wag-ner". But, that's just me.

As you say, the important thing is what the person calls themselves. :agree:

Mind you, it still makes me laugh thinking of that (American) fella on one of those MTV reality shows a few years back that was obviously named after Björn Ulvaeus of Abba, but who pronounces his name "Be-jorn"!

I'm sure all the Scandinavian members of this forum are cringing just thinking about that! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

DianaSelene

Medalist
I also had my boyfriend try to wash my hair like Robert did to Meryl in Out of Africa ... except it ended up like on Sex & the City where Miranda was on her honeymoon and Steve did that, then she awkwardly yelled "ouch! I have shampoo in my eye! get it out!!" and it became painful and clumsy.

And oh yes I bought that theme and put in on my iPod. I play it to relax during work. But I think of S/S and not of Robert and Meryl when I hear it.

I also think of S/S when I hear the music, not Out of Africa movie. But the music did inspire me to watch it.

The shampoo scene is really beautiful and romantic :love:

By the way, I truly appreciate figure skating not just because I love the sport but I found out SO MUCH MUSIC that I never heard of before. Movie music and classical music which inspired me to listen to more of that composer's work.

edenlover

On the Ice
I think Lee Holdridge composed the music for the 1981 TV miniseries East of Eden.
And TontoK, I think it is based on Steinbeck's novel.

You are correct on both counts. The music is definitely from the miniseries, and Holdridge is the composer (I'm so obsessed I have two copies of this now hard to find CD).

Both the 1955 movie and the miniseries were based on Steinbeck's book, which is often seen as a modern day allegory for the Biblical story of Caine and Abel. The" good" characters names begin with A and the "bad" ones begin with C for example. The book is as wonderful as the music, and Michelle did justice to the masterpieces (book, miniseries and music). I did a pretty heavy research paper on it and Grapes of Wrath back in 1969 when I was a junior in high school.

There is a vocal rendition of the theme as well, and Underhill and Martini skated to Pavarotti's version back in 1986 at a pro am They were wonderful.

I am addicted. And I do buy soundtracks and watch movies based on what I see skaters skate to.

This forum is great.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I agree with golden411 here. The same debate goes on in F1 too. Daniel Ricciardo. Italian heritage, but Australian born and bred, and both he and his father say it "Rick-ardo" but you always get these people who think they know better than the person themselves and interject the "i". (Aside: the one that used to really annoy me was the Channel Ten commentators about Heikki Kovalainen. Heikki actually said in a press conference that it was "Hay-ki". The Channel Ten guy still, to this day, says "Hecky".)

I also add the music one. My "working" playlist includes David Garret's Nothing Else Matters (Brendan), and Tango Amore, The Godfather, King of the Forrest and Art on Ice by Edvin Marton. I have a LOT of instrumental music as well, including pieces from the soundtracks of Rush, Apollo 13, The Hobbit, Tangled and Frozen earmarked as "potential skating music". :laugh:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The photo of the skater spinning through the ice. That is clearly a purpose built ice rink in the photo. Ice rinks are normally built on solid ground. So it is not possible in this case.

HOWEVER, if it was a frozen lake with water underneath the ice, then theoretically it should be possible to spin through the ice. It would have to take a lot of time and effort from the skater, but...

ERM, COULD YOU COME HERE A MOMENT, LUCINDA...
:bow: :laugh: Simply no matter way of explaining this.

Lol, it'll probably take the skater all night. Maybe Lucinda and Stephane can take shifts? We'll bundle 'em up warmly, of course.

As you say, the important thing is what the person calls themselves. :agree:

What is the correct pronunciation of the name "Kerr" as in Sinead (Shi-NADE, right) and John? Americans with that name range through "Car" (actress Deborah Kerr, who was from Scottland), "Cur, and "Care" (that is, "Kehr."

DianaSelene

Medalist
You are correct on both counts. The music is definitely from the miniseries, and Holdridge is the composer (I'm so obsessed I have two copies of this now hard to find CD).

Both the 1955 movie and the miniseries were based on Steinbeck's book, which is often seen as a modern day allegory for the Biblical story of Caine and Abel. The" good" characters names begin with A and the "bad" ones begin with C for example. The book is as wonderful as the music, and Michelle did justice to the masterpieces (book, miniseries and music). I did a pretty heavy research paper on it and Grapes of Wrath back in 1969 when I was a junior in high school.

There is a vocal rendition of the theme as well, and Underhill and Martini skated to Pavarotti's version back in 1986 at a pro am They were wonderful.

I am addicted. And I do buy soundtracks and watch movies based on what I see skaters skate to.

This forum is great.

:rock: :party:

Absolutely, I love to know some of the background of the music that a skater uses.

And of Steinbeck's novels I have read Of Mice and Man and Grapes of Wrath. But I read that East of Eden is definitely worth reading, so I should get to that as well.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This forum is great.

You'll remember that one of my signs of addiciton is recalling that skaters from 20 years ago used music that others think is something original... here's a good example of that! I did not know that U/M had used this music before!

I've read East of Eden once when in High School and once just a year ago (and those two time periods are NOT close together LOL). I enjoyed the novel and sensed Biblical nuance, but did not make the connection to Cain and Abel. Of course, now that you're pointed it out for me, it is obvious!

Someone else mentioned Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men. I also recommend Cannery Row. I live in Steinbeck country a couple of years long ago, and it gave me the incentive to rekindle the love I had of his writing in my youth. Such good stories.

I know we're way off topic here, but I confess I love when a topic drifts into barely related strands.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I agree with golden411 here. The same debate goes on in F1 too. Daniel Ricciardo. Italian heritage, but Australian born and bred, and both he and his father say it "Rick-ardo" but you always get these people who think they know better than the person themselves and interject the "i". (Aside: the one that used to really annoy me was the Channel Ten commentators about Heikki Kovalainen. Heikki actually said in a press conference that it was "Hay-ki". The Channel Ten guy still, to this day, says "Hecky".)

I have to admit, with Daniel, sometimes I remember not to pronounce the "i", and sometimes I don't. It all depends on how much I'm thinking while I'm talking.

To further complicate matters, I'm no expert on Italian, but I remember somebody saying that a double c is pronounced with a "ch" sound. So, it could also be "Rich-i-ardo"...

No wonder the family decided to keep it simple with "Rick-ardo"!

As for "Hecky". Oh. My. Goodness. That just sounds awful! I can just imagine that being said in an Aussie accent. :eek:

By the way, is it just me or does Valtteri Bottas look a lot like Heikki Kovaleinen? At the start of last season, when they had all the rookie drivers doing the Drivers Press Conference, I could have sworn that Valtteri was Heikki!

What is the correct pronunciation of the name "Kerr" as in Sinead (Shi-NADE, right) and John? Americans with that name range through "Car" (actress Deborah Kerr, who was from Scottland), "Cur, and "Care" (that is, "Kehr."

"Kerr" is a very common surname here in Northern Ireland. (I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling that I heard one time that John and Sinead have relatives over here. Which probably explains why "Shi-nade" has an Irish name!)

Oh boy, this is a hard one to explain. A lot of people pronounce it "Kehr"; a lot of people pronounced "Kur". But the most common pronounciation is somewhere in between.

But I have NEVER heard it pronounced "Car"!

By the way, for those who do not go into Le Cafe often, I have posed a question about Sinead and John in the Football thread (of all places!) My query is in the last four paragraphs of this post

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have to admit, with Daniel, sometimes I remember not to pronounce the "i", and sometimes I don't. It all depends on how much I'm thinking while I'm talking.

To further complicate matters, I'm no expert on Italian, but I remember somebody saying that a double c is pronounced with a "ch" sound. So, it could also be "Rich-i-ardo"...

No wonder the family decided to keep it simple with "Rick-ardo"!

As for "Hecky". Oh. My. Goodness. That just sounds awful! I can just imagine that being said in an Aussie accent. :eek:

By the way, is it just me or does Valtteri Bottas look a lot like Heikki Kovaleinen? At the start of last season, when they had all the rookie drivers doing the Drivers Press Conference, I could have sworn that Valtteri was Heikki!

Valtteri is a bit rounder in the face shape than Heikki. Gets the rear of the car a lot looser too! (That wall-whack in Australia? I saw that coming all the way back in Practice 3 because both he and Felipe were sliding wide through there lap after lap, right in front of my grandstand.)

His dad once said the reason they kept it "Rick-ardo" was because the "i" was so often butchered in the Australian (particularly the West Australian) accent that it was just easier to drop it altogether.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, CarolLiza_fan for clarifying the info about Honda. I honestly thought cars were their #1 product.

I asked Sinead & John Kerr how to pronounce their last name correctly. They both responded "care."