13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

13 Signs You Are Obsessed With Figure Skating

edenlover

On the Ice
Well, let's see. Charlie's and Jason's hair. Check. Shipping Meryl and Maks. Check. The rest, OK, maybe not. ;)

Here's a personal one for me.

(a) You are more interested in the governor's race in Rhode Island than in your own state.

(b) You understand (a). :)

This tops them all. I do understand a.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Well, let's see. Charlie's and Jason's hair. Check. Shipping Meryl and Maks. Check. The rest, OK, maybe not. ;)

Here's a personal one for me.

(a) You are more interested in the governor's race in Rhode Island than in your own state.

(b) You understand (a). :)

:p

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
this, as well as the people you follow on Twitter who only speak Russian...you have learned Cyrillic through osmosis (the vocab & grammar are another story)

Tell me about it! And google translate is helpful but I find myself scratching my head sometimes..

desertskates

Medalist
I only got 4. But I think what pushes me over the edge is that when my neighbors are choosing to be "high-volume" at midnight, I replay some of my favorite calming skating programs in my head :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
this, as well as the people you follow on Twitter who only speak Russian...you have learned Cyrillic through osmosis (the vocab & grammar are another story)

I can totally relate to the learning Cyrillic through osmosis comment! I'm not on Twitter, so in my case, it was mainly through looking at results for Russian Nationals!

But, I have lots of Russian and Ukrainian contacts on Facebook, and I am on the Russian social networking site vKontakte, so I get lots of practice in attempting to read Cyrillic messages (with varying levels of success! ;) :laugh: )

A few days ago, I bought a Russian desk medal on eBay. I knew from the item description that it was to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the foundation of the Udmurt ASSR. But, it arrived today. And the scary thing is, I can read nearly everything on it! :eek:

Mind you, I wouldn't even attempt to actually write something in Cyrillic on my own! :laugh:

Hey, I spent 3 years at school learning German, and I never got the hang of the grammar. And it didn't have the added complication of using a different alphabet!

CaroLiza_fan

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I can totally relate to the learning Cyrillic through osmosis comment! I'm not on Twitter, so in my case, it was mainly through looking at results for Russian Nationals! But, I have lots of Russian and Ukrainian contacts on Facebook, and I am on the Russian social networking site vKontakte, so I get lots of practice in attempting to read Cyrillic messages (with varying levels of success! ;) :laugh: ) A few days ago, I bought a Russian desk medal on eBay. I knew from the item description that it was to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the foundation of the Udmurt ASSR. But, it arrived today. And the scary thing is, I can read nearly everything on it! :eek: Mind you, I wouldn't even attempt to actually write something in Cyrillic on my own! :laugh: Hey, I spent 3 years at school learning German, and I never got the hang of the grammar. And it didn't have the added complication of using a different alphabet! CaroLiza_fan

I need to learn this! I can never understand it!

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
Well, posting in GS forum in the middle of June is an indication that needs no comments :yes:
I think I can beat my personal obsession record by posting here (complaints about refs) during the soccer WC.

About the original article:
You don’t trust any sports that don’t involve glitter.

This one is priceless! :rofl:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I need to learn this! I can never understand it!

I can read all my faves' names in cyrillic. I got Plushenko first, but I can also read Gachinski, Menshov and Voronov now. Still working on the others. ;)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yup! Although in PA, we're got to get rid of our governor (Tom Corbett), because he's been killing public education across the state! If he had his way, every school would become a charter school.

I grew up in PA. Haven't been following the gov race there (nor Rhode Island :)) & was dismayed to see your post re: pub educ. Very upsetting.

Icey

Record Breaker
You fired off a letter to the talk show host who referred to Michelle Kwan as Nancy Kwan.

DianaSelene

Medalist
You fired off a letter to the talk show host who referred to Michelle Kwan as Nancy Kwan.

When I was in grade school, there was a girl who actually took skating lessons and once told the teacher that she wants to be like Elizabeth Kwan. I shouted out that her name is Michelle after which I lost points for the day... :mad:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
When I was in grade school, there was a girl who actually took skating lessons and once told the teacher that she wants to be like Elizabeth Kwan. I shouted out that her name is Michelle after which I lost points for the day... :mad:

Assuming that your classmate was confusing MK w/ someone else, now you've got me trying to remember skaters of MK's era named Elizabeth. Talk about obsession...

FWIW re: your shout-out, I would have done the same thing! :laugh:

96skiluvr

On the Ice
You find it perfectly reasonable (read: sane) to stay up all night to watch skating when it's in a completely different time zone from where you live

There was a young skater named Elizabeth Kwon (note spelling) who won the U.S. Novice title in 1998. She was featured in Christine Brennan's book The Edge of Glory as being the next big thing after Michelle. Elizabeth moved up to juniors the next year but her career was cut short by injury. (You are obsessed with figure skating if you know that. ;) )

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Probably if you post on this website you are obsessed with skating lol. I mean some of the things we talk about - Charlie White's haircut?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
There was a young skater named Elizabeth Kwon (note spelling) who won the U.S. Novice title in 1998. She was featured in Christine Brennan's book The Edge of Glory as being the next big thing after Michelle. Elizabeth moved up to juniors the next year but her career was cut short by injury. (You are obsessed with figure skating if you know that. ;) )

I was going to say that I don't meet the criteria for being obsessed but I guess I am obsessed b/c I totally knew that. :p