Davis and White to sit out 2014-15 season | Golden Skate

Davis and White to sit out 2014-15 season

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
(6/6/14) - Olympic ice dance champions Meryl Davis and Charlie White announced today they will not compete in the 2014-15 figure skating season.

"We're so grateful for the support we've received through this truly amazing year in our lives," Davis and White said. "Trying to stay in the present, we've decided not to look too far ahead regarding our competitive careers. We'll be taking the 2014-15 season away from competition. We will not make any further decisions until a later date."

Michigan natives Davis and White began their partnership 17 years ago and are the most-decorated ice dance team in American history. Together they have won the last six U.S. titles, two World Championships (2011, '13), five consecutive Grand Prix Final gold medals and the 2010 Olympic silver medal. Undefeated the past two seasons, Davis and White capped the 2013-14 campaign by becoming the first American ice dancers to win an Olympic gold medal at the 2014 Games in Sochi, Russia. They also won a bronze medal in the first Olympic Team Event alongside six of their teammates.

http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=50235&type=media

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
can't say I'm shocked about this. What a year they've had -- they're probably too exhausted to think about topping it!

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I'm not surprised at all. I'd honestly be pretty surprised if they DID compete again. There's nothing left for them to win!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Absolutely predictable! I think it is just a confirmation of what we all already expected...

Enigma256

Rinkside
What's the point of winning if you don't take some time to appreciate that victory?

I'm hoping that they'll do what Yuna did--take some time off, and then come back for the Olympics in 2018.

(In the meantime, they can have some fun with Belbin and Chmerkovskiy. ;))

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I expected to hear this, but still hope they make a comeback, no matter how brief, the next season. They're just too amazing to leave yet. :3

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm not surprised. Maybe a little that they just didn't out and out retire.

TMC

Record Breaker
They need the time for Charles to grow his locks back ;)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Honestly, I am only surprised they took so long to announce this. The writing has been on the wall, especially with Meryl making statements that they had planned for some time to spend n ext fall on campus full time (though that plan has now changed).

I wish them well. I am kind of saddened, as I do think this is it for them competitively, but that is how it goes.

Honestly, I am only surprised they took so long to announce this. The writing has been on the wall, especially with Meryl making statements that they had planned for some time to spend n ext fall on campus full time (though that plan has now changed).

I wish them well. I am kind of saddened, as I do think this is it for them competitively, but that is how it goes.

I agree.... *long sigh* ....I totally expected it, but it doesn't make it any less sad. I hope they'll come back for at least 2016 worlds, but my hopes aren't too high. They seem ready to have a more normal life. Ice dance won't be the same without them, but I do wish them all of the best! :)

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
They've earned a break from competition. They may come back even better than before. I want a Davis and White/Virtue Moir showdown in 2018.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Given they've been competing non-stop since the last quad, I'm not surprised at this.

I hope they enjoy their year off! Even if they don't come back, they'll have left us with tons of great skates and memories. Thanks Meryl, thanks Charlie!

slider11

Medalist
Perfect! Really I love them but this is the right thing. Enjoy your success, explore other options, breathe...

VirMo

On the Ice
I feel like they should have thought this through and and a decision before Sochi and announced it. I feel like athletes who announce their retirement kinda falls into a limbo state and ends up not getting the respect and attention they deserve when they actually retire. Yuna Kim also was dragging after winning OGM and constantly mentioned how she suffered from lack of motivation, and that she only decided to go to Sochi to not only give her coaches and her fellow Korean skaters Olympic experience but to put a nice end to her career, thus gold was not necessarily important but participation itself mattered. I was surprised and awed that Yuna actually held up against competition. I hope the two ice dance couples and Mao and other skaters can be able to do the same so that we fans can send the off properly.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wonder if Tessa and Scott will skate next season, maybe for a shot at one last world title? Have they announced their plans yet?

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I wonder if Tessa and Scott will skate next season, maybe for a shot at one last world title? Have they announced their plans yet?

A second article that I read about Meryl/Charlie says that Tessa/Scott have yet to decide/announce on 2014-15 yet. I kinda hope they skate so that they can win the GPF since that is the one thing missing on their resume.