Worth the money? | Golden Skate

Worth the money?

Bonnie F

On the Ice
Hello all,
I was wondering if subscribing to Icenetwork is a good idea. I live in the US and normally get to see the long programs of the grandprix events, US nationals, select programs from Europeans and Worlds on television. I would like to see more figure skating and I'm considering Icenetwork in the fall. Is the quality good, do they have a good selection of events, how are the commentators?
Also I am considering attending US nationals next year (I'm from North Carolina). I have never been to a live competition, only shows, so is it worth seeing live in the arena? If so, is it better to sit in the middle of the arena or at the end, do you need to be sitting fairly close to the ice to get a good view of things?
Finally, if you had to choose between attending US nationals or Skate America which would you pick?
Thanks for your input.

Amei

Record Breaker
I would say do Skate America, you are getting to see some of the international stars, not just the U.S. skaters.

I can't speak to the IceNetwork because it's not available with U-verse (at least in Texas)

noskates

Record Breaker
IceNetwork and it's efficiency is based totally on what kind of a computer you have - what size screen, what line speed, etc. I live in a fairly rural area and can only get 756KB line speed and watching skating is miserable - the screen is buffering all the time, the skating is disjointed and I won't subscribe to it again. During the Olympics and Worlds this year I was able to subscribe to the Universal Sports Network and I loved it. Of course, it isn't available in a lot of areas.

I've been to Skate America, Skate Canada and Nationals (several times) and I would pick Nationals every time. Not only do you see the elite skaters but you also get to see the skaters that are up and coming. AND it last 7 days instead of 4 days. But I will say that seeing Stephane Lambiel at Skate Canada was totally worth the price.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
IMO, competitions are worth spending the money to attend. Skating is always better live than on television.

I subscribe to IceNetwork and feel that it is worth the money. You get to watch a lot of skating 'on demand.' Therefore, you can watch, and re-watch, a lot of skating at times that fit your own personal schedule.

ManLady

On the Ice
can't answer most of your questions but i can say that the icenetwork commentary is very low-frills and bare-bones. mostly just announcing skaters, maybe calling some jumps, with very little analysis. also don't seem to use professional voice talent, as the voices are often low and seem to be basically reading lines.

on edit: type icenetwork into youtube you should be able to find some example videos of their coverage. i know there was a full broadcast of 2013(?) us nationals ladies sp(?) on there.

edenlover

On the Ice
Oh by all means go to Nationals, and volunteer to help! It's an experience of a lifetime. You'll be amazed at the number of former stars you'll see in the stands, in the hallways, in the hotels, and at restaurants. You'll see the future skaters as well as the current. I plan to go to the first one I can after I retire in two years. Ive been to 2 nationals, St Louis and Cleveland. I volunteered at Cleveland and met the organizer of the first Greensboro Nationals. I've been to a world championship (in Cincinnati--87) and while exciting, it didn't hold the thrill of attending a nationals.

Try to sit near the kiss and cry area, between 6 and 12 rows back. You can see the skaters as they enter the ice, then watch as they sit in the kiss and cry, It's a good vantage point, in my opinion. You'll be amazed at the speed of the skating, the size of the skaters, and the beauty and excitement of the sport when you see the competition live. Much different than a stars on ice or other show.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
IceNetwork may not be the top of the line in terms of commentary talent; however, it is decent. The skating coverage is not as good as what the major broadcast networks can provide; however, it is better than relying on YouTube videos. The price that you pay for IceNetwork is real cheap. Access to so much skating for such a low price is a bargain.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually enjoy finding a crappy live feed and commenting live on it right here at GS!!:yay: :hb:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you're in the US I'd say it's absolutely worth it. I'd have a different answer for you if you were outside the US.

Not sure what kind of icenetwork some of the posters in this thread have been watching, but there is definitely commentary and while sometimes it's not bad, Michael Weiss at US Nationals this year was ATROCIOUS. Yap yap yap yap yap.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You definitely should go to nationals if you live in NC! I've heard really awesome things about Greensboro as a venue. Also I agree with everyone else above, there's sort of an electricity in the arena because you're not only dealing with elite skaters but with skaters whose dream was to simply make it to nationals. And as noskates pointed out, it's great to see some of the up-and-comers.

I've been to Skate America once (Seattle, 2012) and it's definitely fun to see some of the top international stars there. And if you hang out at the host hotel, you get a chance to meet and talk to skaters and coaches (I got a chance to talk to Brian Orser for like 30 minutes at the hotel bar).

Seeing skating live is great because there are just some things that don't translate well on television, such as speed and height of jumps. There were certain skaters I had more appreciation for after seeing them live. Mae Bernice Meite in the ladies and Bobrova and Soloviev come to mind for me.

I've been a subscriber to Ice Network for several years and I definitely it's worth the money if you are not able to go to competitions and want to see competitions in real-time. I do think Ice Network has improved its video over the years; I think the quality is decent.

kefelsted

Rinkside
Totally worth the money to go--my mom and I have been to 2 nationals, 4 Skate Americas and one GP final--we loved all of them. You're lucky to be so close to Nationals so that might be a reason to go there but with SA, you do get the international skaters. We sit in one of the middle sections on the long side of the rink about 11-12 rows up. Some people really prefer the rows closer to the ice but we like the view you get from a little higher up. At one of the competitions we were right behind the judges which impaired the view a little when the skaters did something right for the judges but maybe this isn't a problem in every rink and it would depend on how high up you are. Have fun--I'm jealous--we can't do any live competitions this year.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
ITA

And I'd add that Greensboro did a great job putting on Nationals in 2011. Hotel prices were quite reasonable, too!

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I would definitely go to Nationals. I live outside of Philly and I have always had regrets on not going to 98 Nationals. I think this years Nationals will be exciting! Definitely go for it if you can.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Icenetwork is an OK deal IF you live in the US and IF you have decent internet. I do hate the fact that they deep-sixed their archived video from 08 and 09. The commentary is usually low key and unobtrusive. Sometimes there is no commentary at all, which I actually prefer.

I'd chose Nationals over Skate America-more skating, and a great view into what skaters are on the way up.

If you ever get the chance to go to Worlds-do it.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Icenetwork is an OK deal IF you live in the US and IF you have decent internet. I do hate the fact that they deep-sixed their archived video from 08 and 09. The commentary is usually low key and unobtrusive. Sometimes there is no commentary at all, which I actually prefer. I'd chose Nationals over Skate America-more skating, and a great view into what skaters are on the way up. If you ever get the chance to go to Worlds-do it.

Ice Network is ok if you watch the events. I have pretty good internet and still can have issues with feeds. Since TV lacks good coverage anymore I look at it like it's better than nothing. I miss the champion series fluff pieces:(

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If I'm having trouble with the live feed, I wait for the On Demand video to be posted. IN does a good job of getting the On Demand video up quite promptly, unless they have to wait for the TV coverage to air, due to contractual arrangements.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
If I'm having trouble with the live feed, I wait for the On Demand video to be posted. IN does a good job of getting the On Demand video up quite promptly, unless they have to wait for the TV coverage to air, due to contractual arrangements.

Agreed. I tend to go back and watch the skates that had sketchy feed issues.

charmblade

Final Flight
I've been thinking about the Ice Network thing as well. I didn't have it last year and was usually able to watch competitions live or later depending on when/where they were happening, although sometimes that involved YouTube or bad feeds. But I was wondering just how easy Ice Network makes things. Do they have every major competition- GPs, Euros, 4CC, Nationals outside of the US, Worlds? I remember some people on here complaining that their coverage of Nationals cut off when NBC started their broadcast of the ladies free program, but what about the other disciplines? If I knew that they would have every competition that I'm interested in available on demand for all four disciplines I would be willing to cough up the money. But if I'm still going to have to do my own looking online I might as well not bother, especially since I didn't really miss anything this past season anyways.

So what does IN show and what do they skip? And is it always all four disciplines?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'm in Atlanta so we rarely get any close events here (though I may see about going to NC if money/time permits). They held nationals here back in 2004...I wish they'd come back. :(

Anyhoo, as for Ice Network, I love it. I have a pretty fast internet connection though so I don't have to deal with overly choppy feeds that much. I've had a season pass for Ice Network since the 2008-2009 season and I will say each season it's gotten better and better and with all of the live coverage they have now as well as rights to all of the major events (IIRC) it's well worth the $40 or $50 they charge for the year. In addition to the major events you can watch regionals, sectionals, synchronized skating, adult championships, and even all of the speed skating events (I've never bothered but they are there).

In addition to all of that you get access to the archived videos so you can go back and watch events for past seasons. All in all I think it's well worth the money if you have a decent internet connection.