Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran pair up. | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran pair up.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... I don't know what Marissa's ultimate goal is, and, for many people, and the federations, the Olympics is the ultimate goal. This is a four year sport, and popularity and momentum seems to hinge on the Olympic results or showing. But for pairs, sometimes maybe we should question that. And Mervin and Marissa's situation really is the perfect example.

Just how important SHOULD it be that a team go to the Olympics. Yes, very important, but at the expense of not skating with a decent partner, or being competitive? Perhaps those considerations should deal-break the Olympic ambition. Being a great team and being able to go to Worlds, and being fantastic on the ice has to be a close second, and (but where you are not going to be on a good team: ) maybe even better than skating in a crappy partnership going nowhere even if you get to go the Olympics.

Consider what JSF and Narumi did to get a Narumi team to the Olympics. (I have nothing against either.) One doesn't need a crystal ball to see that the Japanese team that Narumi is now on is never going to be as good on the ice as the Narumi-Mervin team. And inbetween, now and the next Olympics, there are going to be four years of okay skating, but Narumi-Ryuichi are never going to be podium except at the Japanese National level. JSF and Narumi made the choice that the Olympics were more important than continuing the Tran partnership. I respect that position, but I also disagree with it because it destroyed what could have been a team that potentially could have been super-great, and much more inspirational nationally and internationally for the discipline (imho).

As well, for Marissa in particular, is it worth skating four years in a partnership that causes you to be unhappy just to get to the Olympics? (Again, a personal choice, but, for me, especially after Sochi 2014, I am not so sure that the 2018 Olympics are such a fantastic event to gamble everything you have on at the added cost of spending four years in an unfulfilling partnership.)

I know the National federation system is important for funding, and that Olympics is the be-all end-all (ie the ultimate) for most teams, but, in cases such as Tran and Marissa, because of their individual personal experiences, it might be that their particular priorities are shifted to being on the very best skating team (that can still compete internationally, just not at the Olympics). To me, it is a breath of fresh air to see two skaters I adore take the road less travelled (but to me more rational) and they can be present enough, even without the Olympics, to make it worthwhile.

Let all of us skating fans rejoice.

For me, Tran's goal is a matter of greater interest, given that Castelli already is an Olympian with a team medal. As you say, heckuva lot easier for her not to dwell on dreams of 2018.

For both Tran's sake and Castelli's, I hope that their partnership is successful by whatever measures that they together choose for themselves. I agree that for any athlete, the Olympics should not be the only measure of success.

But I (an American who likes Team Canada too) do not rejoice that Tran will not be skating for Canada. And I do not rejoice that once again his path to the Olympics is (at best) extremely uncertain. The Olympics are much more than a competition. They are a life experience that virtually every Olympian (whether a medalist or not) holds dear.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
While I agree the Olympics aren't the be all and end all, most athletes do dream of it and would like to experience it, regardless of where they place. If Marissa and Mervin understand they're unlikely to go to the Olympics and are happy with the partnership anyway, all the power to them! I was just under the impression that Marissa wanted another Olympic experience and Mervin wanted his first; if that's the case, I'm sad to hear the US immigration law won't allow that.

Olympics vs. overall career depends on the team. If a team can become World champions, then sure, maybe it's worth skipping the Olympics in order to stay together. However, if a skater realizes that they are unlikely to reach the top, then maybe it's preferable to enter a poorer partnership that will nonetheless get them to the Olympics. It's not just about beautiful memories on the ice... they are athletes with their own priorities and goals. Maybe the difference between 6th place and 10th place at Worlds isn't too important to them, but becoming an Olympian or not very much is.

(I'm not directing the above at Marissa and Mervin. I don't know what medals they'll be challenging for, since we have not yet seen them in competition. Just saying, it's perfectly understandable why someone would leave a decent but non-podium partnership for a so-so one if that'll get them to the Olympics).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In any case, we're at the beginning of the Olympic cycle. A lot can happen in four years. The IOC could change its policy regarding citizenship. Immigration reform could happen.

There's no point of losing out on the opportunity to skate with a good partner the next several years over the prospect of doing one event. Especially, that even if you do get citizenship your ability to get into that event is not guaranteed.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
Hate to be cynical here, but success will have a lot to do with it. The seven years Tanith waited probably mattered a lot less than her and Ben's international success. If Castelli/Tran (Marissa/Mervin?) have good results early, would not be surprised if his citizenship gets fast-tracked. Any politician would love to take credit for an Olympic success . . .

tulosai

Record Breaker
Hate to be cynical here, but success will have a lot to do with it. The seven years Tanith waited probably mattered a lot less than her and Ben's international success. If Castelli/Tran (Marissa/Mervin?) have good results early, would not be surprised if his citizenship gets fast-tracked. Any politician would love to take credit for an Olympic success . . .

I don't think so. Does anyone know of an athlete who had theirs expedited in the USA for the Olympics who hadn't lived here 5 years? Does anyone know of an athlete who got citizenship in the last 20 years who hadn't lived in the USA at least 50% of the time?

Again, I am not trying to be facetious or contentious or a joy kill. I'd actually like to be wrong about this. But this sounds like wishful thinking to me. I don't think Tanith would have gotten citizenship if she had been waiting only 4 years instead of 7. It was close as it was.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think so. Does anyone know of an athlete who had theirs expedited in the USA for the Olympics who hadn't lived here 5 years? Does anyone know of an athlete who got citizenship in the last 20 years who hadn't lived in the USA at least 50% of the time?

Again, I am not trying to be facetious or contentious or a joy kill. I'd actually like to be wrong about this. But this sounds like wishful thinking to me. I don't think Tanith would have gotten citizenship if she had been waiting only 4 years instead of 7. It was close as it was.
Our immigration system is terrible just like every other thing in this country. It's bloated and is filled with nothing but bureaucracy and endless paperwork and rules. The fact that Tanith even with spending over 7 years in this country had to get a special act of Congress to become a citizen before the Torino Olympics is ridiculous. Here was some one who played by the rules and actually was living in this country and she had to practically beg to get to the Olympics.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree the Olympics wouldnt be the be all and end all for Marissa now after having gone to an Olympics as National Champion, skated the best she ever had in her previous partnership, and winning an Olympic medal in the team event. That is pretty much the fulfillment of her dreams (the realistic ones anyway). For Mervin, well he was already willing to keep going in a partnership he was never going to be able to skate at the Olympics anyway, while his former partner threw away a potential career of numerous medals just to skate at the Olympics and come almost last, but atleast fulfill her dream of being an Olympian which if that was her ultimate goal is her perrogative. So it isnt a new sacrifice for him. It is a personal thing, but for these two it makes sense even if they cant skate at an Olympics.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
This new season will be great!! :yay:

Well with all the musical chairs it will certainly be interesting to say the least!

I'm very very curious to see how the two meld their styles together, which are very different indeed...

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^okay, does "apply to be release" mean it'll be granted though? Still the probably of citizenship if he wants to go to the Olympics, but hopefully they'll be able to enter other major competitions ASAP.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
^okay, does "apply to be release" mean it'll be granted though? Still the probably of citizenship if he wants to go to the Olympics, but hopefully they'll be able to enter other major competitions ASAP.

According to Tran himself today, Skate Canada will release him in time for the 2015-16 season.

Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo
@amyrosewater @SkateCanada has been kind in allowing my release as soon as I'm eligible which will be for the 2015-2016 season. Many thanks
10:29 AM - 9 Jul 2014
https://twitter.com/skate_moivo/status/486925099727990784

ETA, interesting that the fine print can be tricky even for the skaters. His immediately preceding tweets:

@amyrosewater isu rule 109; I need to have not competed 12 Consecutive months before the July 1st prior to my first competition.

@amyrosewater unfortunately we misread and thought it was 12 months from the last international.

charmblade

Final Flight
Excellent news, I'm really excited to see this pair. So what US competitions can we expect to see them at this year? Nationals? Anything else?

Sequinedream

Match Penalty
According to Tran himself today, Skate Canada will release him in time for the 2015-16 season.

Mervin Tran ‏@skate_moivo
@amyrosewater @SkateCanada has been kind in allowing my release as soon as I'm eligible which will be for the 2015-2016 season. Many thanks
10:29 AM - 9 Jul 2014
https://twitter.com/skate_moivo/status/486925099727990784

ETA, interesting that the fine print can be tricky even for the skaters. His immediately preceding tweets:

@amyrosewater isu rule 109; I need to have not competed 12 Consecutive months before the July 1st prior to my first competition.

@amyrosewater unfortunately we misread and thought it was 12 months from the last international.

Thank you Golden411!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not too thrilled that skating means shopping for a partner and a nation. Representing a country should be an honor like buying a new pair of socks that you throw out if you don't like the color. But that's just me. I am a bit surprised Canada is so nice since they lost their no. 2 and 3 teams and their top team is rather aged.