Hyperspecialization Is Ruining Youth Sports—And The Kids Who Play Them -- | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hyperspecialization Is Ruining Youth Sports—And The Kids Who Play Them --

ice coverage

Record Breaker
But of course! If baby bro or sis ends up loving skating, so much the better! :yay: My comment was really about the kids who would rather be playing baseball or chess (trying to think of extremes here :)) or doing whatever else. The point being that it's not fair to support one kid's passion at the expense of the other's.

And I think that is an important point. Especially if one kid becomes the family "star," that can be difficult for a sibling who also needs attention or even, perhaps, funds for a particular pursuit.

Could not agree more with the point that the endeavors of all siblings deserve equal support. :yes:
[ I did not mention it in my post above not because it is unimportant, but because I thought it was a matter of "it goes without saying." ;) ]

reaal1

Rinkside
food for thought you keep saying rich parents dont think of cross training but maybe its a time issue too. Our one son plays hockey he is 11 and is very gifted at it, he started late by hockey standards he was 9, but has flown up the ranks and from September to April is on the ice a minimum of 5 times a week. You ask what he is doing when not playing ice hockey? He goes to public skating, plays street hockey or rollerblades all his choice. His sister is in competitve gymnastics and trains 12 hours a week she is 9, and when she isnt at the gym she is doing flips on the grass. Both of these 2 have no interest in joining another team and honestly I dont have time for another team where would I fit it in? and as for the money we struggle to keep them in their sports of choice, I couldnt afford another one. 10 thousand at least a year go out of my wallet every year, if I had money I might push harder for another sport for 2 months in their off season than I do but then again maybe not, kids still need time to just be kids. My only form of cross training is insisting they take 2 months off in the summer.