Kiira Korpi ready for comeback! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kiira Korpi ready for comeback!

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I am very happy for her and glad to hear she is doing well! I have missed her. She is a lovely skater.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Will this mean she will take a run at 2018? Or will she just skate a couple of years and close her career off on a good note (a la Sarah Meier at 2011 Euros)?

Good luck Kiira!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Will this mean she will take a run at 2018? Or will she just skate a couple of years and close her career off on a good note (a la Sarah Hughes at 2011 Euros)?

Good luck Kiira!

Sarah Hughes?

Do you mean Sarah Meier?

desertskates

Medalist
I'm so happy she's returning. I enjoyed following her career and hate to see any athlete's career end on terms that are not their own. All the best to Kiira :yay:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
she has passed her prime, and isn't getting any younger
she is 26 years old something ?

besides there are fresh, young , beautiful girls already who will pass her at Europeans

Too bad she is also not enough of a decrepit loser to take up disparaging achievers.

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
she still can do 7 triples (5 at least) in her FS.. and with a clean SP she can get +68, her skating skills are really good, all spin and step sequence are level 4.. she still is a competitive skater... podium in euros, for sure...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kiira will turn 26 in September.

Her competitive record:

Olympics:
11th, 2010
18th, 2006

Worlds:
9th, 2011
19th, 2010
9th, 2008
14th, 2007
10th, 2006

Euros:
2nd, 2012
3rd, 2011
3rd, 2007

GPF
4th, 2012-2013

GP
2012-2013 1, 3
2011-2012 5, 6
2010-2011 1, 4
2009-2010 8, 2
2007-2008 4
2006-2007 6, 7

Brenda

On the Ice
Will this mean she will take a run at 2018? Or will she just skate a couple of years and close her career off on a good note (a la Sarah Meier at 2011 Euros)?

Good luck Kiira!

Since Helsinki is bidding for 2017 Worlds, I'd imagine that would make a good retirement spot, or even if Stockholm wins the bid--close enough for a lot of Finnish fans to be there and her sponsors would like her visibility in Sweden (remember she went to Japan for Finnair this year even though she wasn't competing). Although that's only one year away from the Olympics and she's one of the more popular foreign skaters in Korea...

she has passed her prime, and isn't getting any younger
she is 26 years old something ?

besides there are fresh, young , beautiful girls already who will pass her at Europeans

Two words: Julia Sebestyen. Never give up on anyone.

As for fresh, young, and beautiful, I think Korpi qualifies for this description. Twenty-six is "old" only in the world of figure skating, but not when it comes to beauty. Korpi doesn't take a back seat to anyone in that department. And her jumps seem pretty solid, too. Go, Kiira, as far as you can take it!

pohatta

On the Ice
I think Kiira has a good chance of skating a career best at Worlds, if she reaches her top form. Yes, Russia is very strong, but who outside Russia is beyond her reach? Gold, Wagner, who else? She could finish Top 6 at Worlds and even Top 8 would be a personal best.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think Kiira has a good chance of skating a career best at Worlds, if she reaches her top form. Yes, Russia is very strong, but who outside Russia is beyond her reach? Gold, Wagner, who else? She could finish Top 6 at Worlds and even Top 8 would be a personal best.

Zijun
Edmunds
Kanako
Satoko
even Meite

noskates

Record Breaker
I think I'd have to say Kiira is making a comeback to what? She's a beautiful young woman but hasn't exactly torn up the ice in competition. She hasn't had a stellar career to come back to. But more power to her if she can.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think I'd have to say Kiira is making a comeback to what? She's a beautiful young woman but hasn't exactly torn up the ice in competition. She hasn't had a stellar career to come back to. But more power to her if she can.

She can come back to her "not so stellar career" whether to make it more stellar, to continue as it was, or just to stake a Finnish presence in FS.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I would like her to have a good comeback even if she doesn't have spectacular results just to bring a bit of class and elegance to the ice in the middle of a teenagers battle :biggrin: as others said, she'll be the only "woman" competing next season, alongside with Wagner... Good luck to one of the most (physically and stylistically) beautiful skaters in the world! :clap::yes:

Crystallize

On the Ice
I still think she has more to offer, plus she's a solid jumper. I don't get the whole "retire once you're 24. you're too old to be skating. you're past your prime" thing. You'd think that more people would like to see older, well-rounded skaters. :think: So good for Kiira for wanting to continue. And it would be wonderful if she could get to Helsinki and skate lights out.