Medal Contenders (Favorites) For 2018 PyeonChang Olympics | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Medal Contenders (Favorites) For 2018 PyeonChang Olympics

sk8in

Match Penalty
Mao's jumps are not getting any bigger. If she continues (after taking this season off) she is going to be like the Japanese Ashley Wagner.

Random comment: Does anyone notice how Gracie Gold has like no knee bend on her jumps? Where is her knee bend? She's like a barbie doll who's leg joints only pivot to an obtuse angle.

loiza

On the Ice
I just think it will be very difficult some russian lady win gold.
Pairs and Dance I have no idea.
Men: Yuzuru, Javi and maybe Nam or Pitkeev?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Frankly I think any Japanese skater, man or lady, will have to skate their heart out just to have a little (a very little) chance on the bronze only. Silver or gold? I am not that optimistic. Remember the hatred for Japan would never die out in Korea. :laugh: anyways it's just my thoughts, doesn't mean it's true. :)

I am just curious if any Russian lady will receive the same amount of dislikeness. Russian men? I am not sure. The Koreans might not care much about Kovtun, but...who knows.:scratch: wait... Kovtun is very close with Adelina. :biggrin: and he's Tarasova's student. Not good for him.
Yeah, pretty much. Hatred for Japan runs way deeper than hatred for Russia. I'm not sure if the latter will still be severe by 2018, especially if Korea doesn't have their own candidate in a certain discipline (likely for everything outside of ladies). More like "hatred for Sotnikova." The one thing Mao has going for her (just Mao, not any other Japanese skater) is that she may have earned a little bit of grudging respect from Korea. While some of them will only see her as "that Japanese girl Queen Yuna beat in Vancouver," others may not hate her nearly as much as Adelina, since they think, "If somebody is going to beat our Queen, at least let it be Mao and not some 'nobody.'" Note that I stand by my point: Mao will have a uphill battle skating in Korea. But she could fare better than Adelina (doesn't mean she'll necessarily fare better than Yulia/Radionova/Pogo/whoever).

Lol, if your second paragraph is true, then Pitkeev/Petrov (or Voronov/Plush if they're still around :laugh:) will have better chances than Kovtun.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I just think it will be very difficult some russian lady win gold.
Pairs and Dance I have no idea.
Men: Yuzuru, Javi and maybe Nam or Pitkeev?
Yuzuru is Japanese, remember? He will have little chance in Korea. Bronze might be generous for him.

Javi might be too old by that time.

Nam is Orser's student. Sorry, remember the fiasco between Yuna and Orser? Still, it's too early to say anything because he is just 16.

Pitkeev is still Russian, and I am not sure any Korean would like to see a Russian on top of the podium, regardless of that being men or lady. But I can't tell for sure if they dislike Russian that much. And frankly he is just 16 so I can't say anything beforehand. We will have to wait and see.

Anways, things seem to be not good for Kovtun. For his coach is Tarasova and he is pretty close with Adelina. :laugh:

Ps: just my funny thought, doesn't mean it's true. :laugh:

loiza

On the Ice
Yuzuru is Japanese, remember? He will have little chance in Korea. Bronze might be generous for him.

Javi might be too old by that time.

Nam is Orser's student. Sorry, remember the fiasco between Yuna and Orser? Still, it's too early to say anything because he is just 16.

Pitkeev is still Russian, and I am not sure any Korean would like to see a Russian on top of the podium, regardless of that being men or lady. But I can't tell for sure if they dislike Russian that much. And frankly he is just 16 so I can't say anything beforehand. We will have to wait and see.

Anways, things seem to be not good for Kovtun. For his coach is Tarasova and he is pretty close with Adelina. :laugh:

Ps: just my funny thought, doesn't mean it's true. :laugh:

I do not think what happened to Yuna and Orser, will harm their students.
And the rest is just guesses, since it is still too early to more realistic predictions.

makaihime

Final Flight
Nam is Canadian, and is coach by another Canadian....the curse runs deep there. :biggrin:

Based on the comments here, it seems like "Koreavengence" will knock all the top contenders off the podium and both the ladies and men will have 3 mid-teir skaters winning the Olympics. :laugh:

Well that would certainly be entertaining to watch :popcorn:

sk8in

Match Penalty
Hardly. Her PCS would be amongst the highest of the field regardless how she jumps, and she is attempting jump layouts far harder than practically any other women even if she makes mistakes. Her spirals and spins are probably the best in the world (other than Julia in spins probably). She also has full support as Japanese #1 until something truly great comes along (which hasnt yet), and if she is struggling somewhat at the same time. None of this is true of Ashley.
But all the female skaters currently coming up have 4 years to build up their reputations, and be anointed as "the next" Yuna Kim's and Mao Asada's. And Mao can barely land that 3A anymore. It is great that she does the 3F+3Lo, but the field is only going to get deeper technically. Did you see Polina Edmunds' layout at Sochi? She has a triple-triple, and a triple-single-triple combination.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I do not think what happened to Yuna and Orser, will harm their students.
And the rest is just guesses, since it is still too early to more realistic predictions.

I definitely agree with your first statement. I even searched about it in her fan forums (English and Korean), and it seems that Orser is respected in S. Korea due to his works with Yuna. On another note, yes they can dislike him for the breakup but it would be thoughtless for them to not give him the respect he deserves for helping her achieve what she wanted. Besides, I don't remember anyone in S. Korea "hating" Orser in Junior Worlds 2011.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I definitely agree with your first statement. I even searched about it in her fan forums (English and Korean), and it seems that Orser is respected in S. Korea due to his works with Yuna. On another note, yes they can dislike him for the breakup but it would be thoughtless for them to not give him the respect he deserves for helping her achieve what she wanted.
Thank you for the information.
Then I'd say Canada and China and US all have better chances than Japan and Russia, especially Japan. :biggrin:

chalk5

Match Penalty
I think in all honesty, South Korea rather see Mao get her Olympic Gold medal because they already have what they wanted to achieve, which was for Yuna to win Vancouver 2010 Gold Medal, as it was her wish as well. Their rival was a beautiful story, and I think many South Koreans feel sentimental about that as well. Yes they understand that it was hard for Yuna to come where she is today because of her weak federation, and Mao had her own ice rink, sponsors advantage, etc., but I think they truly respect and like Mao as a person. It's like almost seeing your daughter's friend growing up together. But that's for the South Korean fans, but if you are talking about the federations, then of course the South Korea Federation sure would not like to see a Japanese flag hovering over a Korean flag. What I'm saying is that Koreans are classy and don't blatantly do things like the Russian Federation or even people for that matter. It's all about having a mutual respect, and I think Mao can get that in 2018 if she does her best.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think in all honesty, South Korea rather see Mao get her Olympic Gold medal because they already have what they wanted to achieve, which was for Yuna to win Vancouver 2010 Gold Medal, as it was her wish as well. Their rival was a beautiful story, and I think many South Koreans feel sentimental about that as well. Yes they understand that it was hard for Yuna to come where she is today because of her weak federation, and Mao had her own ice rink, sponsors advantage, etc., but I think they truly respect and like Mao as a person. It's like almost seeing your daughter's friend growing up together. But that's for the South Korean fans, but if you are talking about the federations, then of course the South Korea Federation sure would not like to see a Japanese flag hovering over a Korean flag. What I'm saying is that Koreans are classy and don't blatantly do things like the Russian Federation or even people for that matter. It's all about having a mutual respect, and I think Mao can get that in 2018 if she does her best.
1) for sure many Korean fans are classy. I have made friends with some of them on Instagram and I can see their warmness towards all skaters, regardless of their nationalities.:) they are very cute and supportive.

2) but as you say, the Korean fed wouldn't like to see Japan flag on the podium. That is very likely. So I am not optimistic about the chances of Japanese skaters getting gold or silver medal. Bronze might be already generous.
Well, it's politicking, it's not the fans' wishes. We all know that. The problem of this sport is, all the federations have different ideas to the fans :disapp:

3) same thing might be applied to the Russian girls. I am very curious if Korean fed would rather let a Japanese girl on the podium than Adelina Sonitkova or any of Tarasova's students? :frown:
As for the Russian men, I am not sure how much dislikeness they will get from Korean fed, though. Maybe Korean fed will not care too much, but who knows.

4) I don't think Mao will continue to 2018, though. She doesn't seem to show much motivation at this point.

Last but not least, It's just my wistful thinking about the politicking of the federations. We all know how dubious all the feds are. But that doesn't mean it will happen that way. Things might be much much better than Sochi.

The actual fans of figure skating, are in fact, very supportive of all skaters, regardless of their nationalities. It's all the feds I am worried about. :frown:

sk8in

Match Penalty
Mao got her world record. She is the only woman under the IJS to have a clean 3A. That is her legacy. If any woman wants to set the new standard for skating they will have her record to contend with.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What I'm saying is that Koreans are classy and don't blatantly do things like the Russian Federation or even people for that matter.

Oh yes, bombarding a 17 year old with death threats because she dared to beat their skater is SOOOOOOOOOO classy.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh yes, bombarding a 17 year old with death threats because she dared to beat their skater is SOOOOOOOOOO classy.
Those people who sent death threats are not true fans of figure skating, you can see it that way. ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
That's the thing. People who are figure skating fans are generally appreciative of all skaters (doesn't mean they like all skaters or agree with all results, but they usually at least respect them as athletes). But there are also a) crazy ubers b) nationalistic sports/Olympics watchers who aren't FS fans (crazy nationalistic Japan-hating Koreans/Chinese, the Sochi "Rossia!!" crowd, ect.).

We're all human. No group of fans and no Federation is really better than the other. ;) Every country has lovely fans and every country as crazy ultra-nationalists. Sadly, I feel like the latter could take over Pyeongchang and work against Japanese skaters + Adelina on the 1% chance that she shows up.

Meoima

Match Penalty
That's the thing. People who are figure skating fans are generally appreciative of all skaters (doesn't mean they like all skaters or agree with all results, but they usually at least respect them as athletes). But there are also a) crazy ubers b) nationalistic sports/Olympics watchers who aren't FS fans (crazy nationalistic Japan-hating Koreans/Chinese, the Sochi "Rossia!!" crowd, ect.).
We're all human. No group of fans and no Federation is really better than the other. ;) Every country has lovely fans and every country as crazy ultra-nationalists.
Totally agree, and even in each Federation, there are plenty kinds of "professional views" which could differ from "members that love figure skating itself" to "crazy nationalistic members". :slink:

I am sure there are coaches and judges from Korean fed who like Mao's style, but dare they go against their federation to give her good scores, if she actually came back and performed well? Having said that, I don't think Mao will come back for 2018, though.;)

Same thing could be applied for any other skater from Japan and Russia federations. I mean surely the supportive members of Korea fed would love to give fair scores for the deserving skaters regardless of their nationalities.
But can they go against the nationalistic side that never want to see Japanese and Russian skaters on the podium? That I can't tell. :scratch:

chalk5

Match Penalty
Ok. I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings but I'm not saying Russians were rude or anything else, but I said people seem to be blatant there. And although you can see it as an insult but I think it's just a cultural thing. It's a perspective of things. Look at all the czars and people living in the harsh cold winters etc., I can agree that that can change people's perspective on things, and Russians are not afraid or timid to show that. That's just how it is in Russia. But, when I'm talking about the people, that is hard to say. Because we can get all bewildered up here about nationalities, but at the end of the day, there are good people and bad people. And with Putin coming in power to their neighbors and the West not liking him, I can understand how the Russians felt during that night. I don't mean to be rude to anyone.

chalk5

Match Penalty
@Meioma, I do agree with the South Koreans about Tarasova. There is something about there that I don't like. I don't know if that' just how it is (old styled, tough love), but she really didn't seem to like Yuna, although she respected him, or maybe it was just Orser. There is something about her that I just quite cannot get to like her.