Marshall's Cheesefest Pairs and Dance Exhibition | Golden Skate

Marshall's Cheesefest Pairs and Dance Exhibition

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Right after the men skated, and without even refinishing the ice, the announcer introduced Rena Inoue and John Baldwin, Jr., the US Pair Champions, would be giving an exhibition.

Rena and John skated out. Rena was wearing a simple and attractive costume with spaghetti strips and a deeply low back, down to the waist, but secured with a built in bra strap across the back. It was in an a color somewhere between turquoise and teal blue, with some spangles vee-d up under the bust line.
John wore a black jump suit with a regular shirt style collar, open at the neck. The collar was the same color as Rena's dress.

They started with a nice pair spin. The closeness and speed of their pair spins have improved a lot this year. He dragged her out of the spin for a while until they settled down to do about 1/2 death spiral. Very interesting move, and I liked it. They executed a nice one arm lift, and followed up with a throw 3S (I think). And she landed it! She was so pleased she stumbled a bit afterwards, but the throw and landing were clean. Then they did a face to face spread eagle, alternating which one was leaning backward, again, an unusual move, followed by a really, really good combination pair spin. They built up speed down into the corner and did SBS 2A's. This looked very smooth, and I think they both landed them, but I always wonder whether John has taken off one revolution. They do a skid spiral style into a lift where she is standing on his shoulder in an arabesque and then she drops down and is supported all curled around on his one arm over his head. I really liked this, and very good for them to have performed such a nearly clean program.

Belbin and Agosto were then introduced as US dance champions, and as a team who had scored the highest finish for a US team since 1991? (5th at Worlds) That was probably Wynne and Druar. Agosto was dressed in overalls ala hillbilly. He skated around with great speed, doing nice comic footwork to the beginning of the theme to the old Green Acres program (which starred Eddie Arnold and Eva Gabor). The lyrics are Green Acres is the place to be. Farm living is the life for me, land spreading out so far and wide, you take Manhattan just gave me that country side. Chickens clucking and cows mooing have been added to the song mix. Then Tanith skates out in what looks like a red raincoat with a patterned head scarf on. She is the Eva character, skating separately to the New York is where I'd rather stay. I get allergic smelling hay. He catches her by the scarf and they come together to perform an amazing hydroblading lift...How Do They Do That?? She whips off the rain coat and scarf. Her hair is in a ponytail and she is wearing overall shorts. The music changes to the Orange Blossom Special (Duelling Banjos) and they do a spirited country stomp style of footwork.

My husband says, that was fun, but only Americans could like it.
I kind of agree with him. I hope they ditch this exhibition after COI.

At this point, the Zamboni came out and I rushed off to have a bathroom break, meet friends, and buy a diet coke. When I got back, the women were already warming up.

Last edited:
"Darling I love you, but give me Park Avenue!

"The chores!

"The stores!"

Oh, now I have to see this! Do you think they'll show the exhibitions on TV? "Green Acres" is the all-time great TV theme song.

No, wait..."Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip...Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour (a three hour tour)."

Mathman

PS. Wait, wait! "Come listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed."

We can keep Belbin and Agosto in material for years!:laugh:

jessyxyz

Rinkside
I was there too! You're right, though, B&A's exhibition was something that only Americans would enjoy. :D

(I was sort of annoyed with the judges during the ladies event...:mad: )

Jessica

Hi, Jessyxyz, pleased to meet you and thanks for your post.

I am curious about your take on the judging, too. I wasn't there, but most of the opinions that I saw on skating boards were that Irina should have been placed ahead of Miki in fourth, and maybe even ahead of Michelle in third. What did you think?

Mathman

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Mathman, I would have had Irina over Miki, definitely. Over Michelle, maybe. I am in the process of writing up my notes on the ladies, but haven't finished yet.