Broadmoor Open 2014. June 25 to 28 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Broadmoor Open 2014. June 25 to 28

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Mirai was third in the SP behind Ashley Cain and Mariah Bell. Just about every one of her jump landings was wonky. Her final spin was spectacular and her interpretation of the music was wonderful. Overall I think Mirai's SP shows a lot of promise. Ashley Cain looks better every time I see her skate.
She attempted 3T+3T and 3Lo, right? And what about Mariah?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Mirai was third in the SP behind Ashley Cain and Mariah Bell. Just about every one of her jump landings was wonky. Her final spin was spectacular and her interpretation of the music was wonderful. Overall I think Mirai's SP shows a lot of promise. Ashley Cain looks better every time I see her skate.

Protocol sheet for Ashley Cain's SP:

TMC

Record Breaker
Oooh anyone got video of Ashley? I hate to ask as I really wanted to buy the subscription and watch legit but my money was no good :(

humbaba

Final Flight
Ashley might be making a good case for herself to get that last US ladies' spot at Skate America.

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't surprised that she did well here because I had seen the vid of her skate at Dallas. She's looking really strong this summer.

Just saw Jason Brown's skate. His scores were tech, 61.61, PCS 79, total score 217.91. He fell on the triple axle (at least I think it was the triple axle) and doubled another jump. Other than that it was a good skate. IIRC, he had problems with the 3A on each of his programs at this competition--turned out of it in the first SP, two footed it in the second SP, and fell on it in the long.

I'm very excited about Jason's new LP. It's intense and dramatic, quite a departure from Riverdance. I think it will be a real stretch for him and I'm looking forward to watching how he grows and develops with this program.

willdu

On the Ice
From twitter:
#BroadmoorOpen Sr Ladies FS: @icegirlash (Ashley) debuts her Evita program w/ lyrics & went for 6 triples incl. a spiffy 2A3Lo! 109.35 FS, 176.76 1st
#BroadmoorOpen Sr Ladies: @mirai_nagasu just debuted her Madame Butterfly FS w/ lyrics incl. the famous soprano aria (choreo by @Adaripp)
Gorgeous clean FS from @mirai_nagasu and spectacular choreography from @Adaripp at the #BroadmoorOpen
Good jumping day for @mirai_nagasu :) she landed 3F2T, big 2A2T, 3Lz, 3Lo2T, 3F, 3Lo, 2A(hung on) & scored 117.29 to win FS. #BroadmoorOpen
#BroadmoorOpen Sr Ladies 1-5 unofficial: Ashley Cain 176.76, Mirai Nagasu 170.48, Mariah Bell 145.17, Clare Untalan PHI 126.02, Craze 112.45
-@sylviaunseen

humbaba

Final Flight
Well, Nagasu made quite a comeback. She won the FS. Can't say if all the jumps were fully rotated, but she stood them all up. Ashley Cain won the competition, followed by Mirai in second and then Mariah Bell.

Ashley scored 54.25 for TES, 56.24 for PCS and 176.76 total. She started strong in the FS but had some mistakes on jumps in the second half of her program. I think stamina may have been a factor for her. She seemed quite winded at the end of the program. Still, a good performance for so early on. She's looking great and I think this will be a strong program in time.

Mirai skated to music from Madame Butterfly. She scored 54.73 for TES, 62.56 for PCS and 170.48 total.

Mariah Bell scored 38.79 for TES, 49.68 for PCS and 145.17 total. She had an up and down performance. Some very nice jumps, but some errors too. I have a soft spot for this girl. She has such a fluid, gentle, elegant style.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thx for all your Broadmoor reports, humbaba.

Question re Nagasu:
Does the Broadmoor Open video feed show the skaters in the Kiss and Cry?
And was Tom Z sitting there beside Nagasu?
(I am aware of his FB comment and videos involving her ... just wondering whether they now officially have been seen together at a competition as a skater/coach team.)​

humbaba

Final Flight
Thx for all your Broadmoor reports, humbaba.

Question re Nagasu:
Does the Broadmoor Open video feed show the skaters in the Kiss and Cry?
And was Tom Z sitting there beside Nagasu?
(I am aware of his FB comment and videos involving her ... just wondering whether they now officially have been seen together at a competition as a skater/coach team.)​

There isn't a K&C per se. You can see the skaters at the gate with their entourage. I don't recall seeing Mirai talking to anyone who appeared to be a coach.

Marisha92

Rinkside
I was there in person, loved Jordan's and Jason's programs- can't wait to see how they develop throughout the season. Marai's long was amazing- she skated last and got a standing ovation out of the 3 1/2 people who were in the audience! Too bad about Jordan's problem with the music- he finally got it on his iphone and that's how they played the last part of his program music.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I was there in person, loved Jordan's and Jason's programs- can't wait to see how they develop throughout the season. Marai's long was amazing- she skated last and got a standing ovation out of the 3 1/2 people who were in the audience! Too bad about Jordan's problem with the music- he finally got it on his iphone and that's how they played the last part of his program music.

Thanks for the report, Marisha! You're so lucky to have such access to such talented skaters. :)

amc987

On the Ice
Are there any videos of this competition yet? I couldn't watch the live feed but I'd love to see Jason Brown, Mirai and Cain's performances.

noskates

Record Breaker
So what were the results of the men's competition yesterday? Did I miss it? And I think people are being a bit critical of Jason's short since this is the first time he's competed it. He brings a lot of his personality to the ice and I think some of his moves are just always going to be part of what he does. From what I saw - before the vid was taken down - it looks like there is a lot of room to grow that program. I'm anxious for Skate America!!!!

Glad Mirai had a good freeskate. And I'm also glad she kept Adam Rippon as her choreographer. He really seems to "get" her and her skating style and makes the most of it.