actress Carrie Snodgress dies :cry: | Golden Skate

actress Carrie Snodgress dies :cry:

humbaba

Final Flight
Actress Carrie Snodgress has died from heart failure. Those of you who love movies and are too young to remember her performance in "Diary of A Mad Housewife" might want to rent the video. She gave a moving and memorable performance.

Snodgress projected honesty and vulnerability and truly made you empathize with her characters. She also had this wonderful husky voice.

After making a big initial splash, Snodgress turned her back on Hollywood to live a private life with significant other, musician Neil Young, and raise their disabled son.

I can understand why she made the choice she did; but I wonder what she might have accomplished had she continued to act.

Pati

On the Ice
wow. I am a huge fan of Neil Young, but I don't know who she is. I think I'll go see if I can't find a pic. I know I've heard her name.

"Diary of a Mad Housewife" was a society-shaking *independent* film before there were indie films. ITA, Humbaba, Snodgrass was extraordinary. Younger folks, those under 30, might find it hard to imagine what a ruckus was raised over what now seems like such a tame film ("Diary" came out in 1970). A lot of people I know who've seen it in the last 10 or 15 years can't understand the ending either, that is, why Tina (Snodgrass) does what she does.

If you were born after 1970 and want to understand what a lot of middle class mothers went through, "Diary of a Mad Housewife" is a very interesting movie to see.

Thanks for the post, Humbaba; I didn't know Snodgrass had died. Being my age and having my interests, I knew about her life with Neil Young. Ironic that she died of heart failure. Back in the '60s, '70s, and even the early '80s doctors didn't believe women died of heart problems. Heart disease was a man's problem. In face heart disease is the number one killer of women.

Also, speaking of actresses with disabled children, Laura San Giacomo, who I know mainly from "Sex, Lies, and Videotape," but whom others probably know from TV, has a son with cerebral palsy. Unlike Neil Young, San Giacomo's actor husband left her after their child was born "broken." San Giacomo is another amazing actress, but being the single mother of a disabled child, she hasn't been able to take the chances she might have otherwise. I'm sure Snodgrass felt similarly.
Rgirl

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Actress Julie Newmar ("Catwoman" from Batman, "L'il Abner") had the same thing happen to her: I believe her son was born with Down's during a time when often, children like this were institutionalized. Julie insisted on keeping the child at home and raising him, and her husband also decided he couldn't deal with this and left. Julie ended up doing quite well in real estate, IIRC, and still does some acting. She's also still quite the "hot bod" and is proud that she can still wear her Catwoman suit from the sixties!!! :D

I loved "Diary," and a couple of years ago, Vanity Fair ran an Annie Lebowitz photo of Neil, Carrie and their son in the Hollywood issue. They looked blissful. I'm sorry for the family's loss. Carrie was a great actress and a great lady. :( :cry:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Yazmeen said:
I loved "Diary," and a couple of years ago, Vanity Fair ran an Annie Lebowitz photo of Neil, Carrie and their son in the Hollywood issue. They looked blissful. :( :cry:

That photo was published less than a year ago in Vanity Fair, which is why I am confused about the bio blurb I read elsewhere that said they split up years ago. The VF photo was accompanied by a blurb about how she worked hard on behalf of an organization to benefit children afflicted like her son.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
IIRC several years ago Bruce Springstein participated in a concert to benefit "The Bridge School" where Neil's son attended.