Ashley Wagner's popularity | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's popularity

TMC

Record Breaker
That's certainly an opinion you're entitled to. Ashley is pretty blunt and honest... if her candidness comes across as obnoxious instead of being the prim, proper, pageanty princess that other skaters pretend to be for the cameras/interviews, then I'd rather she stay just the way she is. I don't find it obnoxious at all - if anything it's refreshing to hear an opinion that doesn't come across as rehearsed or saying it because it's the PC thing to say.

:agree:

bronwynsings

Rinkside
^ I think your imagination is working overtime. ;)

I doubt that Gracie Gold "loathes" Ashley Wagner or anyone else. I do not know whether Gracie wishes Ashley would shut up or whether she couldn't care less what Ashley says or doesn't say. (My imagination says the latter. :) ) I doubt that Gracie is dying to say anything in particular. I do think that Gracie looks forward to the competitive season and that she envisions success. As does Ashley -- or so I imagine. :)

Ashley and Gracie definitely do not like each other though, lol. After Nationals, when Ashley was announced to the Olympic team, Gracie clearly rolled her eyes. Also, Ashley's TSL interview shows that the feelings are mutual. I agree that Gracie wants to stay as number one and Ashley is hungry to get her title back. There really hasn't been a full-blown rivalry yet, but one might happen. They both better keep an eye out for Polina, though...

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
I didn't get the sense that Ashley doesn't like Gracie, just that she finds it tacky to name a two arms over your head lutz after yourself when Rippon showed you how to do it. My opinion anyway.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley and Gracie definitely do not like each other though, lol. After Nationals, when Ashley was announced to the Olympic team, Gracie clearly rolled her eyes. Also, Ashley's TSL interview shows that the feelings are mutual. I agree that Gracie wants to stay as number one and Ashley is hungry to get her title back. There really hasn't been a full-blown rivalry yet, but one might happen. They both better keep an eye out for Polina, though...

I know right. When Ashley was announced and went on and on about her Federation having confidence in her to name her to the team even with her bad Nationals performance Gracie was clearly not impressed. LOL I liked also how at the press conference after the LP how both Mirai and Polina made it clear they should be named to the team. Polina may have been only 15 but she was having none of it with people saying she was to young or inexperienced to go to Sochi. Like she said those 3 were the ones who got it done when it counted and she had been skating for over 13 years and her dream was always to make it too the Olympics too.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I know right. When Ashley was announced and went on and on about her Federation having confidence in her to name her to the team even with her bad Nationals performance Gracie was clearly not impressed. LOL I liked also how at the press conference after the LP how both Mirai and Polina made it clear they should be named to the team. Polina may have been only 15 but she was having none of it with people saying she was to young or inexperienced to go to Sochi. Like she said those 3 were the ones who got it done when it counted and she had been skating for over 13 years and her dream was always to make it too the Olympics too.
Wow, so much drama. Personally I like Ashley the way she is, very daring and brave.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Like she said those 3 were the ones who got it done when it counted and she had been skating for over 13 years and her dream was always to make it too the Olympics too.
Being in the Top 3 at Nationals "counted" for SOME of the selection process for Olympics; not for ALL. It also "counted" to do well in the previous Grand Prix and at the previous Worlds, which Mirai obviously did not do.
And Ashley did.

TMC

Record Breaker
I didn't get the sense that Ashley doesn't like Gracie, just that it's tacky to name a two arms over your head lutz after yourself when Rippon showed you how to do it. My opinion anyway.

Whaaaaaaat? :unsure: She renamed Rippon Lutz? Where, when, what and why would she think that was a good idea?

I remember reading that she'd actually asked Rippon for "permission" to do it, but never came across any Gold or Gracie Lutz anywhere... :scratch:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry, I just can't agree that Ashley is arrogant. What's she supposed to do? If she aims too high, she's arrogant; if she aims too low (e.g. being happy with bronze at GPF), she's not competitive. She's not going to please everybody. ...

Agree. :agree:

So here is my impression of Ashley after meeting her at Nationals this year:
She stayed after the pre-arranged media photo op/autograph signing to take photos with fans while the other ladies left. My partner was so nervous, he couldn't get the photo without it being blurry, and had to retake it several times. She was gracious, funny, and stayed for the photos even though she could have left after he snapped the first one. I had a brief conversation with her....and I thought she was a sweetheart!
I was a fan before...and became more of one after.

Thx for your wonderful first-person anecdote, Markus. Always love to hear about skaters like Wagner who appreciate supporters and go the extra mile to treat them well.

I found Ashley entertaining and saw clearly that Gracie loathed her. Gracie looked like She wished ash would just shut up. Gracie seemed dying to say she was number one. Ashley wants that title back. I expect a great rivalry this year amongst the top ladies.

Like Mathman, I too find it hard to believe that Gracie Gold loathes anyone. Gold simply is an elite athlete who has a game face/persona when in competitive mode. So what?

Whaaaaaaat? :unsure: She renamed Rippon Lutz? Where, when, what and why would she think that was a good idea?

I remember reading that she'd actually asked Rippon for "permission" to do it, but never came across any Gold or Gracie Lutz anywhere... :scratch:

A quote from Gold re the "Gold lutz":
In a near flawless run-through of her short program during practice on Wednesday, Gold was particularly pleased with her "Gold lutz" which is a "Rippon lutz" (a triple lutz with both hands raised above the head, named after U.S. skater Adam Rippon).
"We call it a 'Gold lutz' because I'm a female and Adam Rippon is a guy," she said with a smile. "That's what Adam and I negotiated."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2013/01/23/gracie-gold-ready-for-nationals/1860325/ (Jan 2013)​

But ... hard to tell from a print story whether or not Gold was only joking about the name of the lutz.
I don't know whether she ever has made an on-camera reference to the "Gold lutz." If so, I hope that it was in a humorous way to signal that the jump obviously did not originate with her.

TMC

Record Breaker
Ok that sounds more reasonable and I too hope that she was joking. In fact I'm pretty sure she was, a little inside joke between her and Adam. :think:

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Agreed. That's one of the reasons I like Ashley so much. She's not afraid to express herself, whether people want to hear what she has to say or not. In figure skating it's so taboo for a female skater to behave as though they have brain of their own. Everything is smile and "I just want to do my best" and look pretty and prim and proper and give standard cookie cutter answers to any question. It's boring and trite and I'm over the ice princess skaters.

I love that Ashley speaks her mind and that she had confidence in herself and her abilities. Maybe her own image of herself is out of sync with what other people see but I like that she believes in herself. Ashley has a personality and I see that when she speaks. I love the Russian skaters b/c of their competitiveness and the way you can see that they are competitive--when they are unhappy with their performance or scores, you can see it. I like that. To me that makes them more interesting. Same goes for Ashley.

I love Ashley's skating because it is dynamic, but her personality is what makes her really special. She's one of the few skaters I can imagine getting a drink with and having a great time. She seems like a fun, intelligent woman with opinions of her own, and arguably less sheltered than other skaters her age (had to support herself after the age of 18 with a job, etc).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Adam is a good sport and so is Gold. It's obviously joking between friends and in no way was Gold trying to make it seem like it was hers (especially when everyone knows that Rippon originated it). People are reading into that way too much, and it's hugely ridiculous to suggest Gold is taking credit for it or something like that.

I'm sure Sakhanovich doesn't call it a Sakhanovich-toe, when she does a Tano 3T on her combinations.

If Gold did want to have her own lutz, maybe she could try a 3Z with one arm in front and one behind her, some pairs do in throws/twists.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think Adam is a good sport and so is Gold. It's obviously joking between friends and in no way was Gold trying to make it seem like it was hers (especially when everyone knows that Rippon originated it). People are reading into that way too much, and it's hugely ridiculous to suggest Gold is taking credit for it or something like that.

I'm sure Sakhanovich doesn't call it a Sakhanovich-toe, when she does a Tano 3T on her combinations.

If Gold did want to have her own lutz, maybe she could try a 3Z with one arm in front and one behind her, some pairs do in throws/twists.

But does Sakhanovich make jokes -- during interviews for public consumption -- about calling the jump a Sakhanovich toe?

As I said above, I hope the Gold lutz quote from GG was mostly lighthearted.
OTOH, Gracie did have the chutzpah to joke to the press as if her name also should be associated with the jump. She knew that it was likely for her quote to be read by the entire skating community, so I understand why some people raised their eyebrows.
I think it is fair to say that Gold was displaying some ego -- without intending any real harm.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Like I said, Gold's lutz quote was indeed lighthearted.

It's a variation of an element... which another skater has already done before. I don't think she's trying to associate herself with the jump. If people want to raise their eyebrows at an innocuous joke like that and make a mountain out of a molehill, well, that's their own prerogative.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Like I said, Gold's lutz quote was indeed lighthearted.

It's a variation of an element... which another skater has already done before. I don't think she's trying to associate herself with the jump. If people want to raise their eyebrows at an innocuous joke like that and make a mountain out of a molehill, well, that's their own prerogative.

We are in agreement that Gold's joke about associating herself with the jump was a molehill.
I would say that my posts above were making a molehill out of a molehill, LOL. ;)
Like you, I am not in favor of making a mountain out of a molehill.

Some of the posts in this thread have [ETA: unfairly, IMO] criticized Wagner's ego. My point is that nothing is wrong with athletes at the highest levels of their sport (Gold, Wagner, etc.) who have some ego.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you don't have a ego in sports you will never become a champion. These girls are not off saving small animals or hugging a tree they are ferocious competitors who want to win behind those beauty pageant smiles. You can't get to where Ashley or Gracie are by not being tough.

desertskates

Medalist
I just spoke with an old friend who recently moved near Ashley's home (coincidence, not a stalker :)), and apparently in the shops and restaurants around the 'hood, she's extremely outgoing and well liked. Very nice to hear.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Sorry, I just can't agree that Ashley is arrogant. What's she supposed to do? If she aims too high, she's arrogant; if she aims too low (e.g. being happy with bronze at GPF), she's not competitive. She's not going to please everybody.

I'm not interested in seeing athletes get "media training," and saying humble general platitudes they don't mean. What's she supposed to say after Nationals? "Send Mirai, I don't want to go"?? Ashley clearly had the best results of any of the US ladies this season leading up to Sochi. Especially with the new team event (one Jeremy Abbott was bad enough!), it's reasonable to send her, because she has proven herself more reliable than Mirai. You send the person who is a) more reliable for the team event b) is likely to place better. It's not like Mirai won nationals outright or something.

Again, no. I don't expect anyone to give up their spot for the Olympic team. That would be silly. I'm just stating the fact that she was placed on the team vs winning her spot.

As for media training, I think the attitude that that training in some way equates to "pageanty" is incorrect. Most public figures do media training and learn the art of phrasing and communicating to the masses. This would be a benefit to Ashley. Here's the deal: the ability to communicate to a larger audience equates to cash and opportunity. All top athletes have media trainers as part of their team and by "top" I mean those with endorsements. From a professional standpoint, this can only help Ashley... esp since skating seems determined to cling to its outdated political shenanigans.

But whatever. You are correct in that everyone is not going to like everything and one person's arrogant is another person's sassy confidence and that's cool. As a Kwan fan, I've spent many anight discussing, debating and flat out arguing if she was a hardcore champion, a judges' pet or just flatout boring so to each their own...

I do however, stand by my opinions and hope to see growth from all the American skaters this upcoming season. And will light candles for intervention on their under rotated jumps and bad feet.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Again, no. I don't expect anyone to give up their spot for the Olympic team. That would be silly. I'm just stating the fact that she was placed on the team vs winning her spot.

As for media training, I think the attitude that that training in some way equates to "pageanty" is incorrect. Most public figures do media training and learn the art of phrasing and communicating to the masses. This would be a benefit to Ashley. Here's the deal: the ability to communicate to a larger audience equates to cash and opportunity. All top athletes have media trainers as part of their team and by "top" I mean those with endorsements. From a professional standpoint, this can only help Ashley... esp since skating seems determined to cling to its outdated political shenanigans. ...

Two facts are undeniable:

Fact #1: I love Nagasu, but Wagner won (and I do mean "won") her spot on the Sochi team based on the USFS Olympic criteria that had been established and announced at least a year in advance. Wagner's results clearly fulfilled the criteria far better than Nagasu's. No contest.

2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships - AW 4th; MN 3rd
2013 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final - AW 3rd
2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships - AW 5th
2013 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events - AW 2nd SA + 1st TEB; MN 8th NHK + 3rd Rostelecom
2013 Four Continents Championships
2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships - AW 1st; MN 7th
2013 World Junior Figure Skating Championships
2013 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_cr_00008996.htm
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_cr_00010220.htm

Fact #2: Wagner already had a boatload of sponsorships during the Olympic season. (Not clear to me that media training would draw more sponsors in her case.)​