Egyptian Judicial System attacks freedom of speech. | Golden Skate

Egyptian Judicial System attacks freedom of speech.

GF2445

Record Breaker
The recent trial of three Al Jazeera staff, falsely accused of spreading false news and suporting the outlawed Muslim brotherhood ended today with all three staff found guilty.

Despite shaky evidence on behalf of the prosecution which was highly political, two of the journalists were sentenced to 7 years jail, and another 10 years because they apparently found a bullet shell in his home (somehow that equals terrorism). Ten other journalists were convicted (in absentia) and were sentenced to 10 years.

This is absolutely disgusting from a nation who claims to be working towards a democracy. Shame on them

Alba

Record Breaker
I'm schocked. The "Arab Spring" didn't produce democracy?! :sarcasm:

I'm schocked. The "Arab Spring" didn't produce democracy?! :sarcasm:

The problem is that it's not that easy to create democracy from a standing start. I knew someone who was from Egypt, and she was very proud of her relatives' efforts during the demonstrations. The students and intellectuals did the best they could. But the forces stacked against them were so entrenched, and the grudges held by either side were too bitter: the military on one side, and the Muslim Brotherhood on the other. Also, this was a country without a tradition of a free press. I remember for years that any report of events in Egypt came from "the semi-official news agency, Al-Ahram." (I can't be sure of the spelling.) To people with such a setup and such an outlook, everything is political and must be controlled.

It's scandalous, and people around the world need to speak out. Public opinion (and the opinion of other governments) can make a difference.

Amei

Record Breaker
Totally agree Olympia.

And until atrocious actions hit people where it hurts the wallet I don't see that changing, because of the Middle East's abundance of oil

Alba

Record Breaker
The problem is that it's not that easy to create democracy from a standing start. I knew someone who was from Egypt, and she was very proud of her relatives' efforts during the demonstrations. The students and intellectuals did the best they could. But the forces stacked against them were so entrenched, and the grudges held by either side were too bitter: the military on one side, and the Muslim Brotherhood on the other. Also, this was a country without a tradition of a free press. I remember for years that any report of events in Egypt came from "the semi-official news agency, Al-Ahram." (I can't be sure of the spelling.) To people with such a setup and such an outlook, everything is political and must be controlled.

It's scandalous, and people around the world need to speak out. Public opinion (and the opinion of other governments) can make a difference.

Oh I know all that, belive me. I've been to Afghanistan, Iraq, Balcans, Middle-East and Africa.
You can't export democracy and it takes a lot of time to make significant changes. We are talking about years and years here.
Nations have a history and people are products of that history. Culture and traditions are different. You can't pretend to export the USA, Germany, France system, values and mentality into another country. That's simply ridiculous. That's why I was being sarcastic about it.

Not to mention the fact that I do not belive in the good intention and the sincerity of the big western powers, when it comes to some countries. Especially such as the ones in the Middle East, Asia etc.
Quite honestly I'm disillusioned with the policies of the so called free world, and they do not want to make the difference but only their own interests. :disapp:

Look at what's happening in Iraq, Afganistan,Tunisia and Lybia now. Wait to see Pakistan and Iran as well.