Denney and Coughlin out for 2014-2015 season | Golden Skate

Denney and Coughlin out for 2014-2015 season

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=50261&type=media

Caydee Denney and John Coughlin, the 2012 U.S. pairs champions, announced today they will not compete in the 2014-15 figure skating season as Denney continues to rehabilitate a right ankle injury.

"After a lot of therapy, I am excited to take the next step of getting back on the ice beginning with performing in shows and eventually strengthening back to a competitive level," Denney said.

Wow, pairs is going to be interesting.

Amei

Record Breaker
What is the competitive level going to be in pairs, with all of the splits and now this?

Dramahkween

On the Ice
Oh wow, thanks for sharing this. This is truly going to be an interesting year in pairs. Best wishes to Caydee!

flutzy13

On the Ice
What is the competitive level going to be in pairs, with all of the splits and now this?

I don't think D/C really impact the competitive bar of pairs internationally. I'm sure Scimeca and Knierim can challenge for those GP bronzes in their absence.

Was anyone expecting them back at this point? Its been clear they haven't been in the same city with John doing all kinds of USFS stuff and camps and its almost July with no news of training, getting new programs. Honestly with his age and the fact that their entire partnership seemed to point to Sochi, I'll be surprised if we ever see them again. This sit out a year statement seems to just be the trendy thing this season.

It does sound like her injury was worse than the original reports indicated and I do hope her rehab goes well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So as it stands we have the following:

Zhang/Barthlomay (S2)
Scimeca/Knierim (S4)
Denney/Frazier (S5)
Kayne/O'Shea (S6)
Calalang/Sidhu (11)
Shaughnessy/Morgan (S12)

New pairs/moving up
Aaron/Settlage (J1)
Oltmanns / Santillan (J6)
Castelli (S1)/Tran (S4-Canada; pending release)
Leng (S7)/Shnapir (S1)
Simpson (J1-2013)/Penasse (Canada)
Budd (J8)/Blackmer (J1-2013)
Davidovich (ISR)/Silecky

Last edited:

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
Oh wow, thanks for sharing this. This is truly going to be an interesting year in pairs. Best wishes to Caydee!
:thumbsup: I'm glad she's not risking permanent injury but was hoping they would compete. Best wishes to both of them. In the meantime, I hope the remaining pairs really seize the opportunity to make a splash and (dare I say it) make it a competitive season nationally and perhaps internationally. I can dream, right?

So as it stands we have the following:

Zhang/Barthlomay (S2)
Scimeca/Knierim (S4)
Denney/Frazier (S5)
Kayne/O'Shea (S6)
Calalang/Sidhu (11)
Shaughnessy/Morgan (S12)

New pairs/moving up
Aaron/Settlage (J1)
Oltmanns / Santillan (J6)
Castelli (S1)/Tran (S4-Canada; pending release)
Leng (S7)/Shnapir (S1)
Simpson (J1-2013)/Penasse (Canada)
Budd (J8)/Blackmer (J1-2013)
Davidovich (ISR)/Silecky

Thanks, Mrs. P!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
pairs 2014 predictions will be boring then

I can already name the possible the GPF Qualifiers

Volosozhar / Trankov
Kavaguti / Smirnov
Sui / Han
Stolbova / Klimov
Duhamel / Radford
Peng / Zhang

Bazarova / Deputat

FSGMT

Record Breaker
V/T skating around the rink waving to the crowd in pretty costumes and winning GPF, Euros and Worlds :biggrin: (maybe I should go the crazy predictions thread)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Volosozhar / Trankov
Kavaguti / Smirnov
Sui / Han
Stolbova / Klimov
Duhamel / Radford
Peng / Zhang

Bazarova / Deputat

Welcome back, Kavaguti/Smirnov!

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm sorry to hear this but glad that Caydee is taking the time to rehab instead of getting back to competition too soon. I disagree with those that say they wouldn't have been a factor internationally. I think they're wayyyyyyyyyyy more dynamic than Castelli and Schnapir were and much more interesting than Zhang and Bartholomay. I think they easily could have topped the podium in the US again and done well in the grand prixs. I think US Pairs is in a very sorry state right now.

flutzy13

On the Ice
. In the meantime, I hope the remaining pairs really seize the opportunity to make a splash and (dare I say it) make it a competitive season nationally and perhaps internationally. I can dream, right?

The pairs event last year at Nationals was one of the competitive and exciting in years. I don't think anyone expected that L&L would be in third after the short over D/C, that C&S would essentially run away with the title in the short, that S&K wouldn't even make the final group and that Z&B would go to Sochi over D&C. If next year's event at Nationals is half as crazy, I'll be excited. As far as internationally, I think there's certainly opportunity to build a lot over the course of the quad but with the two teams with the longest international resumes out, I don't think next year will be a big year internationally for US pairs. However if they use next year to start setting up for Boston 2016 and Pyeongchang, that will be great.

desertskates

Medalist
Thanks for sharing. Too bad to hear this, I didn't realize Caydee was injured. They 're definitely doing the right thing, but I have this little niggling doubt in my head about them returning to competition.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm guessing when she does come back, it could be with a new partner and John will retire, although I could be wrong.

anyanka

Record Breaker

Volosozhar / Trankov
Kavaguti / Smirnov
Sui / Han
Stolbova / Klimov
Duhamel / Radford
Peng / Zhang

Bazarova / Deputat

Not a bad set of contenders.

What about Yu/Lin? Still untested at this time? Too early to call?

Yay to Yuko & Sasha coming back! Hope they can get onto the "A"-roster!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Also, Caydee if you're reading this: rest up, get well, and we hope to see you skate again in a year!

flutzy13

On the Ice
I disagree with those that say they wouldn't have been a factor internationally. I think they're wayyyyyyyyyyy more dynamic than Castelli and Schnapir were and much more interesting than Zhang and Bartholomay. I think they easily could have topped the podium in the US again and done well in the grand prixs. I think US Pairs is in a very sorry state right now.

I wouldn't say they would have easily won 2015 Nationals. Its not 2012. They haven't been National champions or even been at Worlds or 4CC since 2012 (which of course was due to injury). In any case, I don't think the judges were reserving the podium just for them at this point. Could they have been in contention for the title? Sure. But I could just as easily see them being third again or fourth. Z/B are very consistent, beat them this year when D/C were favorites and will be more respected by the judges next year. I know its one competition but it was THE most important competition. Things like that impact judges' perception the next year. Alexa and Chris certainly have the potential to beat them on a good day with their tech content and beautiful lines. Both Castelli and Shnapir with their new partners will be in the mix, just as John and Caydee were following the Caitlin break-up. And you have Kayne/O'Shea and World Jr Champs Denney/Frazier who are both young and could make a big climb. The pairs title was and is wide open next year with or without D/C, even more so than this year.

Your personal opinions regarding Z/B and C/S are just that- opinions. You clearly prefer D/C and I can appreciate that. However, there are probably just as many fans (and some judges) who feel the opposite. They've always been a pretty polarizing team. In any event, saying they're "wayyyyyy more dynamic" than C/S is really irrelevant now as that pairing ended in May and there was no chance of them meeting head to head again.

I don't think US pairs is in a sorry state. I think its in probably the deepest field in a decade. Would it be a stronger field with Castelli/Shnapir and Denney/Coughlin? Yes. But neither of those teams were going to be world medalists next season and I think we have several teams that could assert themselves and get the same 4CC and GP silver medals D/C won in prior years and perhaps steadily climb in the run up to 2018.

tulosai

Record Breaker
As far as internationally, I think there's certainly opportunity to build a lot over the course of the quad but with the two teams with the longest international resumes out, I don't think next year will be a big year internationally for US pairs but if they can start setting up for Boston 2016 and Pyeongchang, that will be great.

This. I actually think Z/B (potentially), S/K, and D/F all have good potential, especially, actually, D/F. I say potentially about Z/B because their elements are really quite small relative to the other pairs, even in the USA, and I am not sure if that can be fixed or not, but if they can get bigger throws and twists, they're definitely in the mix. Castilli and Shapir + new partners may have potential too but of course we all need to see the new pairings. If some of these teams can actually manage to stay together (always the struggle in the USA) I think we really do h ave a solid place to build from now.

I don't think we've seen the last of Denney, but I do think we've seen the last of Coughlin.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I'm guessing when she does come back, it could be with a new partner and John will retire, although I could be wrong.

I was thinking this also.

Wishing both John and Caydee the best and a full recovery for Caydee.

Thanks for the info Mrs. P.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wouldn't say they would have easily won 2015 Nationals. Its not 2012. They haven't been National champions or even been at Worlds or 4CC since 2012 (which of course was due to injury). In any case, I don't think the judges were reserving the podium just for them at this point. Could they have been in contention for the title? Sure. But I could just as easily see them being third again or fourth. Z/B are very consistent, beat them this year when D/C were favorites and will be more respected by the judges next year. I know its one competition but it was THE most important competition. Things like that impact judges' perception the next year. Alexa and Chris certainly have the potential to beat them on a good day with their tech content and beautiful lines. Both Castelli and Shnapir with their new partners will be in the mix, just as John and Caydee were following the Caitlin break-up. And you have Kayne/O'Shea and World Jr Champs Denney/Frazier who are both young and could make a big climb. The pairs title was and is wide open next year with or without D/C, even more so than this year.

Your personal opinions regarding Z/B and C/S are just that- opinions. You clearly prefer D/C and I can appreciate that. However, there are probably just as many fans (and some judges) who feel the opposite. They've always been a pretty polarizing team. In any event, saying they're "wayyyyyy more dynamic" than C/S is really irrelevant now as that pairing ended in May and there was no chance of them meeting head to head again.

I don't think US pairs is in a sorry state. I think its in probably the deepest field in a decade. Would it be a stronger field with Castelli/Shnapir and Denney/Coughlin? Yes. But neither of those teams were going to be world medalists next season and I think we have several teams that could assert themselves and get the same 4CC and GP silver medals D/C won in prior years and perhaps steadily climb in the run up to 2018.

I would say that Denney and Coughlin were very consistent, when they weren't dealing with injury. They did win the FS at Nationals (though I guess people could argue their score was inflated and what not) and they did beat C/S at Skate America and were the only team to medal during the GP. So I think they are a factor, though I agree they were not a sure bet to win Nationals this season.

I was also at Nationals this year and I thought C/S were quite dynamic, especially in the SP So yes opinions can differ. And though Z/B doesn't have the explosive elements of Denny and Coughlin and Scimeca/Knierim, I do think they are pretty consistent team and they seem hungry and driven, which is a plus. Champions/contenders are not always created overnight, and this is a team that came in with a relative whimper, so I expect more surprises.

I'm actually excited to see how the pairs teams will take advantage of this opportunity. No. 1 is wide open now. Who will take it?!