2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
For my faves:

Papadakis/Cizeron: TEB was obvious, and I'm happy because they are now the #1 French team to annoy Didier. Cup of China is also a strong chance for them to podium, that should overall be quite an interesting field for ice dance.

Elena Radionova: Skate America she has quite a decent shot to win, depending on which version of Tuktamysheva and Gold show up. TEB could be a harder field but we get a Radinovoa/Lipnitskaia throwdown!

Ashley Wagner: I don't know what to make of the ladies' field at Skate Canada. I am surprised to say I think Ashley could very well medal. (I say surprised because I fear she's being dumped by the judges.) TEB will be more competitive, but she's in the running for the bronze.

Anna Pogorilaya: I was not a huge fan of Anna at the start of last season, but she grew on me over the season and I love the exhibitions she skated in the spring. She needs to solidify herself as a contender this season with so many young Russians eligible to move up next year. Skate Canada seems like a good placement for her, COR will be reallllly interesting with her up against Sotnitkova.

Tatsuki Machida: I would say he might be the favorite for Skate America. TEB probably slightly harder but still a chance.

Denis Ten: skating the same two as Machida! Overall, just wishing an injury/illness free season for Denis!

Adam Rippon: With Chan out, he has a chance to podium at Skate Canada. A lot of 'athletic' skaters at this event so as an 'artistic' skater he will stand out. TEB is a good fit for him but it will be competitive. I note he gets to travel to both events with his best friend Ashley Wagner!

arcticwolf

Rinkside
I know it's impossible but I wanted another javier/yuzuru or tatsuki/yuzuru showdown because as of now, no one really stands against hanyu. Oh well, I suppose we'll get that in the GPF. Since he has never won the COC he can get that gold now. But I thought he's going to skate am or canada bec it's nearer to his training place.

So happy for MCM because he finally have his first GP :-D I just wish he could skate with yuzuru in the same compet.

I have no particular fave in the girls now that yuna, mao and carolina are gone. But I'm rooting for Pogo and So Youn :-D

RABID

Final Flight
@sam
Your question with "...your skater..." again made me realise that my skaters are all gone. Some of them might come back but stil, what an empty and sad feeling. So I am rooting for some new kids I can follow. I quite like So Youn Park and Radionova, but So Youn really has tough assignments. Gold, Mirai, Elena and Tuk will be tough to beat. Rostelecom is Sotnikovas, couse she needs to "establish" (=recive a home and olympic-champion-bonus) a good score. The fight for the other podium places will be between her, Pogs and Mirai I think. Little Zijun Li doesn´t have it any better than her. :slink: For the men, I still have to check the asignments.

Zijun Li, So Youn Park, Julia Lipnitskaia and Polina Edmunds; now that YuNa is gone I'm spreading the love :rock:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Jeremy is an Olympic medalist only thanks to the other skaters on the US Team who didn't bomb like he did. He's not Plushenko who's one of the greatest competitors ever but a 29 year old skating against kids that can out jump him any day of the week and can hold it together better then Jeremey can when the chips are down.

Who cares, he is still an Olympic medalist. A lucky one for sure, but facts are facts. He is also a top 5 finisher at worlds, and the reigning U.S Champion. 4 of the last 5 times he has been sent to worlds for the U.S the U.S got 3 men for next year. Both times he wasnt they didnt. Once again at this past worlds they sent Jeremy, voila 3 men.

It is not like any of the U.S men are likely to medal anytime soon anyway. Brown isnt getting near any major podium unless he masters a solid quad, and powers up his overall skating and jumping, just like Jeremy wont unless he delivers a virtually perfect competition. Jeremy's faint hopes of a world medal are still as much or more as any of the others right now, much more than the majority of them which are something below nothing (eg- Miner, Rippon, Farris until he improves).

flutzy13

On the Ice
Who cares, he is still an Olympic medalist. A lucky one for sure, but facts are facts. He is also a top 5 finisher at worlds, and the reigning U.S Champion. 4 of the last 5 times he has been sent to worlds for the U.S the U.S got 3 men for next year. Both times he wasnt they didnt. Once again at this past worlds they sent Jeremy, voila 3 men.

It is not like any of the U.S men are likely to medal anytime soon anyway. Brown isnt getting near any major podium unless he masters a solid quad, and powers up his overall skating and jumping, just like Jeremy wont unless he delivers a virtually perfect competition. Jeremy's faint hopes of a world medal are still as much or more as any of the others right now, much more than the majority of them which are something below nothing (eg- Miner, Rippon, Farris until he improves).

I disagree on Brown. If Brown had skated his Boston Riverdance in Sochi, he'd have a bronze. He was in striking distance after the SP and made the final group. Maybe he's not on the podium without a quad if everyone skates clean but that's unlikely. Granted so is a repeat of the Sochi Men's Event but I think his shot at the podium is better than Jeremy's as judges perceives him as on the way up whereas they clearly view Jeremy as past his prime/never lived up to his potential.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I like Jason, but let's be honest here: Jason's Riverdance was great and exciting and wonderful, but no way would he have won bronze no matter how cleanly he skated. Denis Ten's SP with a fall was only trailing Jason's by 2 points (and he got higher PCS to boot). Considering Ten delivered the cleanest LP of the night (not totally clean, but close enough), with a quad, no way would Jason have won bronze no matter how he skated his LP. I personally find Ten one of the most boring skaters in the field, but he has the technical content Jason does not, plus more rep. value (World silver medalist, which pretty much everyone thinks should've been gold; has gone to the Olympics before, so despite being the same age as Jason, he has been in seniors a lot longer).

Jeremy's faint hopes of a world medal are still as much or more as any of the others right now, much more than the majority of them which are something below nothing (eg- Miner, Rippon, Farris until he improves).
Pretty much. It's not like any of the other US men are lighting up the field. I'm sad Max didn't get to go to Sochi, but it's not Jeremy's responsibility to retire himself for others' sakes.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So the Vanessa Lam GP assignment is starting to make some sense now that I've looked at it closely. She finished 5th in Finlandia and was the top finisher outside of those who already qualified for GP assignments (Julia, Elizaveta and Mirai).

Maria Artemyeva won Cup of Nice. Zhan Bush, also of Russia, by winning bronze at the same competition the top finisher as Tomas Verner retired and Menshov qualified for GP assignements on his own.

Stephen Carriere was second at U.S. Int'l classic behind Max, so he was the top finisher. Ashley Cain was the top finisher at Nebelhorn since Miki Ando retired. Ross Miner, who was not in the top 24 in either SB or WR, was the bronze medalist at Ondrej Nepela Trophy behind Mura and Liebers, who qualified for GPs already.

So some of the invites aren't super random. Also H/T to AlexRus for your post earlier.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Can someone do what AlexRus did for men's for ladies'? Pretty please? :) :)

I would attempt it myself but don't feel as knowledgeable as some other on the board....

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why are everyone disappointed about Jason coming to Russia? He is my favourite male skater and I am glad that he will come to Moscow.

Rhodium, I am glad that some Russians are happy to see Jason going to Moscow. I was only reacting to what I saw from the crowd (or actually, lack of crowd, particularly at the SP) at Sochi. And I'm sure Jason will be happy to be there!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Arhur's tweet sounds nasty

Excuse you, Artur did not tweet anything nasty at all. In fact Artur hardly ever tweets, mostly just pictures on instagram, often of a haircut, a place he's been, his girlfriend, broken boots every now and again.

Please do not insult Artur by confusing him with Kovtun.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Nationals scores aren't applicable when doing comparisons IMO. Its always inflated in both TES and PCS.

bronwynsings

Rinkside
I'm thrilled for Ashley at Skate Canada. She has a great shot at winning, and has a podium chance at TEB. She should come into TEB being the defending two-time champion with some momentum as well.

I am just thrilled with the Skate America men's lineup as well. Jason, Tatsuki, Denis, and Jeremy are some of my absolute favorites! Tatsuki also is likely to make it into the GPF, and it is my hope that he wins a major title this year. (Not likely, but I would LOVE it.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Nationals scores aren't applicable when doing comparisons IMO. Its always inflated in both TES and PCS.

You are correct. Jason was not going to get 93 PCS, but he did get 84 PCS for being in the final group despite a flawed program, so that's what I based my calculations on.

I just realized I made an error in my calculations. I forgot to add the zero-point triple loop.

So you add that in:

Base value loss:
3Lo abort (-5.61)
3A<(-2.50)
3A-3T< (-1.23)
StSq3 (-0.6)
TOTAL: 9.44

GOE loss
3A< (-2.71)
3A-3T< (-3.00)
3Z-1L-3S (-0.4)
TOTAL: 6.11

TOTAL loss: - 16.05

16.55 (lost GOE/BV) added to his actual TES of 68.09= 84.04+ 84.28 (actual PCS) = 168.42 + 86.00 SP= 254.42. Just a bit of extra +GOE (0.68 to be precise) on those flawed elements and it would have been enough to beat Ten's 255.10.

However, this assumes Jason would have done an SOHL instead, which I wouldn't bank on since he has had problems with the second 3A all season. And given the amount of bloody murder that would have occurred had this actually happened, it was probably for the best.

In any case, I don't anticipate another Sochi meltdown, so Jason will need a quad to get anywhere near the Worlds podium going forward, especially with the massive among of BV it seems Hanyu/Fernandez and others will be adding to their arsenal.

Last edited:

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I think when we say "our skaters are gone" we mean, not competing this season. Some are truly retired whereas others will be back. That is my $0.02 :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Rhodium, I am glad that some Russians are happy to see Jason going to Moscow. I was only reacting to what I saw from the crowd (or actually, lack of crowd, particularly at the SP) at Sochi. And I'm sure Jason will be happy to be there!

I feel like Sochi was not actually reflective of what happens typically. My understanding is that most of the people in the crowd at Sochi were not hard core figure skating fans. I think the crowd at Rostelecom Cup will be different.

To answer the original poster (Hi, Sam! :rock:):

I think it's good for Jason to be at Rostelecom Cup. He's been to Sochi twice (for JGPF in 2012 and obviously the Olympics), so maybe Moscow might be a fun trip! I think he has a good shot for a medal there actually. Skate America is great because it's in his area, so it will be nice to have friends and family there.

Glad the Shibs got Skate America again, but am not crazy about Cup of China. I recall they did not do particularly well there the last time they went there. But hey, maybe we'll see a new outcome this time.

I'm not particularly attached to any lady right now, so I'm just going to enjoy the show. Same with pairs.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
So Youn Park has a chance at bronze at both her events, she's a bit of a wildcard at this point so the fact that she has a chance to medal I'm very happy

I like all of 4 of the main Russian senior girls so there's nothing I have to say about their assignments because I think they're all strong enough to medal at every single one

For the men most of them are kind of inconsistent (doing quads and all) so I'm not really thinking about that right now

foruiz

Final Flight
I am happy with Yuzuru being assigned in COC and NHK at least I can have the opportunity to watch him because both countries are relatively near. I am ok with the assignment that MCM got in Skate America because he trains there and would not too be problematized with the difference in time zones. It will be a long shot for a podium finish but I do hope he does his very best.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Weaver & Poje- Very happy. Should win both their events super easily. They are really the only team virtually assured to win both their events. It is quite possible both Capellini & Lanotte and Bobrova & Soloviev who have much tougher assignments will head to the grand prix final with a loss, setting up W&P to take over as the dominant team.

Paul & Islam- Not very happy. Very tough assignments for them. Then again maybe it is what they need now. Glad they get a head to head with Gilles & Poirier in the grand prix.

Volosozhar & Trankov- Not sure. Was actually hoping they would meet Stolbova & Klimov during the grand prix so as they stamp themselves as the dominant team again before the final.

Radianova- Good assignments. Very winnable IMO.

Lipnitskaya- also good assignments. Very winnable (and yes I know she and Radianova meet in one but looking forward to the battle).

Country
Russia
Ladies
1 224.59 Adelina SOTNIKOVA RUS 4 6
5 209.72 Julia LIPNITSKAIA RUS 3 5
6 205.53 Gracie GOLD USA 1 6
7 197.50 Anna POGORILAYA RUS 2 4
8 196.91 Kanako MURAKAMI JPN 3 6
9 194.37 Ashley WAGNER USA 2 5
10 194.29 Elena RADIONOVA RUS 1 5
12 187.50 Polina EDMUNDS USA 3 6
13 186.53 Satoko MIYAHARA JPN 2 6
15 181.56 Zijun LI CHN 3 6
19 178.15 Alena LEONOVA RUS 2 6
20 176.75 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS 1 3
21 176.61 So Youn PARK KOR 1 4
22 175.40 Haruka IMAI JPN 1 5
23 175.37 Mirai NAGASU USA 1 4
24 174.53 Mae Berenice MEITE FRA 1 5
25 173.69 Christina GAO USA 3 6
26 173.33 Valentina MARCHEI ITA 2 4
27 172.70 Samantha CESARIO USA 5
28 170.64 Kaetlyn OSMOND CAN 2 5
29 169.99 Courtney HICKS USA 2 5
30 167.72 Nathalie WEINZIERL GER 2 4
31 166.84 Hae Jin KIM KOR 2
32 165.19 Alaine CHARTRAND CAN 4
34 164.78 Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN 3 6
38 162.91 Joshi HELGESSON SWE 1 4
40 162.39 Ashley CAIN USA 3
43 159.67 Veronik MALLET CAN 2
44 157.88 Rika HONGO JPN 2
45 157.57 Kexin ZHANG CHN 3
46 157.17 Nikol GOSVIANI RUS 6
47 155.87 Angela WANG USA 4
50 153.27 Viktoria HELGESSON SWE 3
52 152.13 Miyabi OBA JPN 4
54 150.17 Brooklee HAN AUS 1
55 149.44 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO 1
58 145.88 Natalia POPOVA UKR 1
59 145.15 Eliska BREZINOVA CZE 5
62 143.22 Anna OVCHAROVA SUI 6
64 142.87 Anne Line GJERSEM NOR 3
73 139.42 Laurine LECAVELIER FRA 5

No SB
Vanessa LAM USA 4
Marina ARTEMYEVA RUS 5 (in fact she is Maria ARTEMIEVA http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00009616.htm )

Top 5 Substitutes (may change after fillng home spots)
27 172.70 Samantha CESARIO USA 5
31 166.84 Hae Jin KIM KOR 2
32 165.19 Alaine CHARTRAND CAN 4
40 162.39 Ashley CAIN USA 3
43 159.67 Veronik MALLET CAN 2

Other substitutes
44 157.88 Rika HONGO JPN 2
45 157.57 Kexin ZHANG CHN 3
46 157.17 Nikol GOSVIANI RUS 6
47 155.87 Angela WANG USA 4
50 153.27 Viktoria HELGESSON SWE 3
52 152.13 Miyabi OBA JPN 4
54 150.17 Brooklee HAN AUS 1
55 149.44 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO 1
58 145.88 Natalia POPOVA UKR 1
59 145.15 Eliska BREZINOVA CZE 5
62 143.22 Anna OVCHAROVA SUI 6
64 142.87 Anne Line GJERSEM NOR 3

I believe Cesario and Chartrand will have home spots if they will get spot by substitute before.

Numbers at the end of line mean numbers of GP Events (1 to 6).
1 - Skate America
2 - Skate Canada
3 - Cup of China
4 - Rostelecom Cup
5 - TEB
6 - NHK Trophy