2014-15 Grand Prix assignments | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2014-15 Grand Prix assignments

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I don't think so - for me there are at least five couples that will keep the standards high: Stolbova/Klimov, Kawaguti/Smirnov, both Chinese couples, and Duhamel/Radford. And I bet the new teams will want a say in this.
Not so sure :eek:hwell: Kavaguti/Smirnov are great and I love them, but they can't challenge the top couples technically (at least with their Test Skates programs), and about the new couples, Bazarova/Deputat are a disaster right now, Zabiyako/Larionov (but with low PCS) and Davankova/Enbert are the only ones that I can call "promising", even if certainly not at the level that whas been required during the past years for a GP podium... The only "real high-level" Pairs will be Stolbova/Klimov, Duhamel/Radford and the Chinese, and during the last seasons we had at least twice as much as 4 :slink:

tulosai

Record Breaker
It can't be too serious, they did the exhibition that Lipnitskaia did earlier this month, and they have been doing tours all summer.

Which maybe this should go in the stupid question thread, but aren't some of the skaters paid by their Fed? So in the case of something like this where an athlete has been performing in exhibitions all summer and now we get to competition time and they are coming out and saying 'I can't, I'm too injured' - could they be docked pay, lose their funding, etc.?

No they would not lose their funding or be docked pay for this year.

With that said, in this particular case, these two are pretty much set for life anyway. They won an OGM for Russia and will enjoy privileged status there for the foreseeable future barring a complete and total destruction of the current Russian regime and way of life. At a minimum, they are not going to have to worry about their basic needs or the basic needs of their families being met.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
V/T so far have not withdrawn from either of their assignments. It is now one month from Skate America, and the Pairs available to fill withdrawals have been pretty well depleted. When is the Russian Fed going to formally announce their withdrawal?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think so at all. Every year someone retires or steps aside. The world continues to turn -- and now it's your turn. You try to beat whoever shows up. Go Maia and Alex. ;)

Yes. Who will seize the opportunity?! I can't wait to watch. :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't think so at all. Every year someone retires or steps aside. The world continues to turn -- and now it's your turn. You try to beat whoever shows up. Go Maia and Alex. ;)
I root for Maia and Alex as well. I hope they will get a coach who might pay more attention to them than Zueva, though. :scowl:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I root for Maia and Alex as well. I hope they will get a coach who might pay more attention to them than Zueva, though. :scowl:

A coach may help or break you, but ultimately it's up to you to seize your destiny. I know everyone wants Maia and Alex to change coaches, but clearly there is something that is keeping them there, and that's their decision to make.

Honestly, I wouldn't want them to take coaching advice from the armchair viewer. :slink:

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
about the new couples, Bazarova/Deputat are a disaster right now, Zabiyako/Larionov (but with low PCS) and Davankova/Enbert are the only ones that I can call "promising", even if certainly not at the level that whas been required during the past years for a GP podium...

my mistake- I rather meant the new North American couples - Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Leng/Shnapir. ;)

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
V/T so far have not withdrawn from either of their assignments. It is now one month from Skate America, and the Pairs available to fill withdrawals have been pretty well depleted. When is the Russian Fed going to formally announce their withdrawal?

There are additional Russian skaters who have been announced as withdrawals (or are apparent clear withdrawals based on what we know) that haven't been withdrawn yet. We just found out about a potential V/T withdrawal yesterday. In addition to V/T, there is Mikhail Kolyada (broken ankle), Antipova/Maisuradze (Antipova's illness), Bobrova/Soloviev (Soloviev's surgery).

The ultimate deadline is around 14 days before the given GP. At that point, with the ISU's approval, hosts are not required to fill any withdrawals. Actually, in men's and ladies', with the increase to 12 skaters this year, hosts are also not required to fill withdrawals until the number of entries falls below 10. Thus far, the hosts have been filling the spots though.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
There are additional Russian skaters who have been announced as withdrawals (or are apparent clear withdrawals based on what we know) that haven't been withdrawn yet. We just found out about a potential V/T withdrawal yesterday. In addition to V/T, there is Mikhail Kolyada (broken ankle), Antipova/Maisuradze (Antipova's illness), Bobrova/Soloviev (Soloviev's surgery).

The ultimate deadline is around 14 days before the given GP. At that point, with the ISU's approval, hosts are not required to fill any withdrawals. Actually, in men's and ladies', with the increase to 12 skaters this year, hosts are also not required to fill withdrawals until the number of entries falls below 10. Thus far, the hosts have been filling the spots though.
Well, I hope the hosts do keep filling the spots, since it'll give someone else the chance to compete.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, but there are only 8 pair entries, and unless the Russian Fed FORMALLY withdraws V/T and A/M pretty soon, those 4 spots will likely go unfilled given that there aren't many qualified teams left on the subs list. Apparently V/T have known they couldn't do the GP for quite some time, and Antipova is very ill. Why the foot-dragging on Russia's part? Neither V/T or A/M are scheduled for CoR, but both are at CoC, which would leave only 6 teams there. V/T's other event is SA in a month, and A/M's is NHK.

Country
Russia
Yes, but there are only 8 pair entries, and unless the Russian Fed FORMALLY withdraws V/T and A/M pretty soon, those 4 spots will likely go unfilled given that there aren't many qualified teams left on the subs list. Apparently V/T have known they couldn't do the GP for quite some time, and Antipova is very ill. Why the foot-dragging on Russia's part? Neither V/T or A/M are scheduled for CoR, but both are at CoC, which would leave only 6 teams there. V/T's other event is SA in a month, and A/M's is NHK.
It is significant - who may be substitutes?

There are only two pairs with minimum total score (134.94 or higher):
Arina CHERNIAVSKAIA / Antonino SOUZA-KORDYERU
Wenting WANG / Yan ZHANG

Or maybe there are other eligible pairs, who have minimum technical score?
Minimum technical score - 26.20 SP, 43.08 FS.
Amani FANCY / Christopher BOYADJI are eligible (29.24 and 49.25).
Who else?

breathesgelatin

Final Flight

Well, another example is Kayne/O'Shea. Tarah Kayne had hip surgery on July 28 and only got back on the ice about a week and a half ago. While I wish her the best in her recovery, I'm a bit skeptical they'll actually be skating on the GP.

However, I tend to believe the ISU will find couples to substitute if they need to. More below.

It is significant - who may be substitutes?

There are only two pairs with minimum total score (134.94 or higher):
Arina CHERNIAVSKAIA / Antonino SOUZA-KORDYERU
Wenting WANG / Yan ZHANG

Or maybe there are other eligible pairs, who have minimum technical score?
Minimum technical score - 26.20 SP, 43.08 FS.
Amani FANCY / Christopher BOYADJI are eligible (29.24 and 49.25).
Who else?

The pairs substitution list looks like this:

SB 39: Cherniavskaia/Souza-Kordyeru
SB 44: Wang/Zhang***last pair to meet the total minimums
SB 50: Pakliakova/Bochkov
SB 51: Pak/Song

Cherniaskaia/Souza-Kordyeru and Wang/Zhang may not be ready for international competition. C/S-K competed at a Russian Cup competition recently and only came in third, I think. Wang/Zhang, per a Chinese poster on the Chinese national competition thread, are not yet ready for competition and sat out the Chinese national grand prix that just happened.

P/B met the TES minimums and I think they are very likely to get two events, assuming they are still skating and ready to go.

P/S also met the TES minimums but there might be complications with visas and travel for them.

Fancy/Boyadji did not meet the TES minimums but have a chance to do so at Nebelhorn this weekend; they would be added to the substitution list immediately if they met either the overall or TES minimums.

Because we are down to four on the substitution list, I think there's a very good chance the ISU ends up interpreting their rules broadly and allows couples who meet the overall or TES minimums at a Challenger series event to be added to the substitution list. If they did that, Calalang/Sidhu would already be added to the list in the 5th position because they earned the overall and TES minimums at the US International Classic. Jones/Reagan, Ashtakova/Rogonov, Davankova/Enbert, and Grenier/Deschamps also have chances to earn the minimums at upcoming Challenger Series events.

There is more detailed discussion of it on the FSU Grand Prix thread... http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...prix-assignments-2014-15-season.92601/page-18

anyanka

Record Breaker

I hear Natalia Linichuk's client list isn't that heavy right now .... unless she's training up-and-comers. Have we overcome that D/S OD fiasco from 09/10, finally?

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
ISU Grand Prix lists have been updated.

In Dance, Bobrova/Soloviev have withdrawn from Skate America, but not yet TEB.

In Pairs, Antipova/Maisuradze have withdrawn from both their events (CoC and NHK).

HR4

On the Ice
According to RusFed Stepanova/Bukin are assigned to SA, and Zhan Bush to SC