World Renowned Figure Skaters | Page 4 | Golden Skate

World Renowned Figure Skaters

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Despite their gold medals, I doubt the average American would even know who Evan and Sarah are... Sarah is sometimes remembered as "the American who beat Michelle Kwan," which despite its troubling concept of what it means to be "American," what it means is they are meshing her and Tara Lipinski...if they remember that Kwan didn't win in 2002 at all.

At my old job, we actually did a poll once on skating's popularity in 2003/2004ish and almost 73% of responders thought that Michelle Kwan had three OGM...because they'd confused her with Kristi Y.

The most "popular" skaters were Tonya and Nancy, with most feeling that Tonya got a rough deal. We were all surprised about that... but that had more to do with her life story, never really getting her stuff together, and you gotta admit any interview done with her, she always comes across as a victim of bad parenting, bad marriage, bad management and a corrupt sport that likes to tear young women apart. People, esp women, identify with Tonya. The psychology is fascinating.

You don't even want to know the shock and awe around the question of men skaters... but based on my experience, I'd feel comfortable saying that Brian Boitano is recognized for South Park and Scott Hamilton is the most popular American male skater, but more for his cancer and backflips. Christmas specials help out a lot. Johnny is recognized for more off-ice antics and Evan doesn't even resonate. USFSA should be ashamed of themselves...smh

Ah hah, the generational difference. I had no idea that Brian Boitano had an association with South Park, since I don't watch it and barely know what it is. (Something about cartoons killing Kenny?) But, I know it's popular. So Boitano would be recognized too.;)

Bonnie F

On the Ice
Ah hah, the generational difference. I had no idea that Brian Boitano had an association with South Park, since I don't watch it and barely know what it is. (Something about cartoons killing Kenny?) But, I know it's popular. So Boitano would be recognized too.;)

Brian Boitano was referenced in the South Park show and movie as a superhero. It was around the same time that "what would Jesus do (WWJD)" bracelets and merchandise were very popular. South Park itself satirized many topics and spoofed the WWJD trend by saying and singing the song "what would Brian Boitano do." South Park was a really funny show if you like satire, it was sort of like an animated Saturday Night Live. But Brian Boitano used it a launching pad of sorts when he started his food network show "What would Brian Boitano make." The title and the theme music were taken from South Park. I would bet that the majority of Americans who have heard of Boitano have heard his name either from South Park or from the Food Network, not from Calgary. In fact I believe if you type Brian Boitano into Youtube the South Park references are some of the first the appear.

Brian once had a skating routine to "What would Brian Boitano do?" They asked him, "But Brian -- don't you know that South Park is making fun of you?"

Brian answered, "I'm just glad someone thinks I'm famous enough to make fun of." :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Which skaters are popular or famous outside of the skating world would vary by what part of the world we are speaking of. I am almost certain no U.S skater (or at most no non U.S or Canadian skater) would be famous in the U.S. No non skating fans in the U.S would not recognize Henie today, those who knew her would all be dead already. She is barely talked about by serious skating fans in Europe anymore, so in the U.S outside the skating world, not a chance. Witt was hardly ever in the U.S until years after her amateur career ended, and had a forgettable pro career for the most part, so no non skating fans in the U.S would not know her either. Even the pool of Americans non skating fans in the U.S would know is probably quite small. Michelle Kwan, Scott Hamilton, maybe Brian Boitano (but much less now than once), Peggy Fleming, Dorothy Hamill, and maybe Kristi Yamaguchi. That is about it. Lysacek? Not a chance. :laugh: Maybe for the year after his Olympic win thanks to DWTS but that is it. Davis & White will be soon forgotten too.

In Canada I think Browning, Sale & Pelletier (mostly only due to the scandal), Virtue & Moir, Orser, are known to non skating fans. Not sure about anyone else, including Stojko.

In Europe I think Witt, Torvill & Dean, Gordeeva & Grinkov, and maybe Yu Na Kim, Plushenko, and Yagudin are the main ones who might be known today out of the skating world.

In Asia the obvious ones- Mao Asada, Yu Na Kim, Plushenko, Hanyu, Midori Ito, and maybe Lu Chen and Yuka Sato.

No non skating fans in the U.S would not recognize Henie today, those who knew her would all be dead already.

This is an interesting question. Everyone who saw Babe Ruth play is dead, too. But most Americans know that he was a baseball player from way back when.

Or do they? Is it possible that Americans have forgotten Esther Williams and Johnny Weismuller?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
This is an interesting question. Everyone who saw Babe Ruth play is dead, too. But most Americans know that he was a baseball player from way back when.

Or do they? Is it possible that Americans have forgotten Esther Williams and Johnny Weismuller?

Babe Ruth is American and plays one of America's favorite sports. I doubt many Americans would know who Johnny W. is, and if anyone does it would only be due to his work on Tarzen, and certainly would never be recognized just for his swimming legacy to non swim fans otherwise. Henie was a movie star in America for awhile, but she didn't exactly become the next Marilyn Monroe.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Babe Ruth is American and plays one of America's favorite sports. I doubt many Americans would know who Johnny W. is, and if anyone does it would only be due to his work on Tarzen, and certainly would never be recognized just for his swimming legacy to non swim fans otherwise. Henie was a movie star in America for awhile, but she didn't exactly become the next Marilyn Monroe.

Well, Henie was THE top box office over Shirley Temple in the 30s. She had sell-out shows all over. In a world of Yuna vs. Mao with teenyboppers I suppose Henie isn't recognized, but she is probably the most famous worldwide skater ever. I don't think Marilyn Monroe was ever top box office. Henie was.