Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
:unsure: Her RD dress this year is not a "dusted down morbid grey neutral". It has a sheer black base with tons of silver and multi-coloured sparkles. It's not "BAM COLOUR", which it could be, but I cannot imagine how anyone could describe that as a neutral.

Last year for the RD, she had both a black and a red version of her tango dress. Not morbid or grey, and suitable to a tango (though they could have gone for a less traditional colour if they wanted). So I guess you really mean her FD costume from last season, which was black into an ombre grey skirt (he was in a grey shirt). Bright and colourful would not have suited that program, imo.

By 'Emeralds', do you mean their Amelie FD from 2013-14? I can't find a JW video, but her dress at JGPF was a nice raspberry red. Is that the colour you mean looks so good on her? Not really relevant, but going to watch it I noticed how much darker her hair is now than back then.

Anyways, other than the FD dress this year looking a little heavy (especially before they changed the tights), I don't have any problems with their recent costumes, though my favourites of theirs are older ones.

Thanks for replying... perhaps my words were a tad too harsh.. I should clarify .. I am 73 years with developing cataracts; tho my vision is still excellent, I do prefer brighter colors for obvious reasons.. tho her RD costume may be lovely close up, it appeared as a neutral to me on TV screen at least and both costumes do appear heavy imho.
Regarding "Emeralds": they performed the dance as part of a tribute to George Balanchine at Sun Valley in 2016 through Ice Dance International. It was televised last year about this time and I managed to catch it on PBS , then looked for it on the Internet later but was unable to find it. The picture I posted above was from that dance and it was not a competition piece though it was beautifully choreographed and performed. I would love them to do something like this next.. and I DO love the green for her..

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks for replying... perhaps my words were a tad too harsh.. I should clarify .. I am 73 years with developing cataracts; tho my vision is still excellent, I do prefer brighter colors for obvious reasons.. tho her RD costume may be lovely close up, it appeared as a neutral to me on TV screen at least and both costumes do appear heavy imho.
Regarding "Emeralds": they performed the dance as part of a tribute to George Balanchine at Sun Valley in 2016 through Ice Dance International. It was televised last year about this time and I managed to catch it on PBS , then looked for it on the Internet later but was unable to find it. The picture I posted above was from that dance and it was not a competition piece though it was beautifully choreographed and performed. I would love them to do something like this next.. and I DO love the green for her..

That makes sense. The picture wasn't loading for me earlier, so I missed that. Emerald green would be lovely on her.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And the other thing about Kaitlin, and she is never given credit for it: she is a helluva actress with exquisite range and a marvelously expressive face. The look she gives him in the CCSS, like Oh you silly man! don't stop! is PRICELESS.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And the other thing about Kaitlin, and she is never given credit for it: she is a helluva actress with exquisite range and a marvelously expressive face. The look she gives him in the CCSS, like Oh you silly man! don't stop! is PRICELESS.

Oh no. I give her credit for it all the time. Her presence on the ice to me is astounding and I adore her. The first time I saw them skate I was YES! I am buying what you are selling! Take my money! (Figuratively). It is killing me to see them flounder. Tabitha approves also. https://twitter.com/riverofchange/status/1189165469468680193?s=21

This is one of my favorite skates from them. She is so happy. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m6IW1l-IYNs

If I had an extra couple hundred grand I would send him for partnering class with Ben Agosto, send them to Charlie White for choreography and somewhere for coaching. I realize she was happy with the change, but I wonder how happy she will be having been beaten by two inferior teams, no GP medals, no GPF, and Goddess forbid they slip to 4th at Nationals. I don’t think I have any stuffies adequate for that situation.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I realize she was happy with the change, but I wonder how happy she will be having been beaten by two inferior teams, no GP medals, no GPF, and Goddess forbid they slip to 4th at Nationals.
I agree that Fear/Gibson are an inferior team (especially in terms of skating) who are getting the big points at least partially for their spectacular lifts and choreo elements. But I disagree about Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen, if by the second "inferior" team to which H/B lost, you meant them (twice now, I should add). Perhaps they are not quite as superior as the marks at the competitions where they competed together show, but I don't see them as inferior. Still, I don't want to argue about that, as I came here to talk about something else.

What I wanted to say is that Kaitlin and Jean-Luc's FD is one of my favorite FDs of the season, "unclear intent" and all. I absolutely love all the choreographic detail in it, the step sequences and the varied expressions. But I agree that for judges sake it would be better if the intent would be clearer, and they should think about going in one of the two directions more. I hope they are doing just that and more as we are discussing this - not only thinking about the possible changes, but already applying and training them. I so don't want them to fall behind Carreira/Ponomarenko and/or McNamara/Carpenter at US Nationals and fail to get a spot on the Worlds team - both are really talented teams, but, in my opinion, still lacking charisma and style.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that Fear/Gibson are an inferior team (especially in terms of skating) who are getting the big points at least partially for their spectacular lifts and choreo elements. But I disagree about Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen, if by the second "inferior" team to which H/B lost, you meant them (twice now, I should add). Perhaps they are not quite as superior as the marks at the competitions where they competed together show, but I don't see them as inferior. Still, I don't want to argue about that, as I came here to talk about something else.

What I wanted to say is that Kaitlin and Jean-Luc's FD is one of my favorite FDs of the season, "unclear intent" and all. I absolutely love all the choreographic detail in it, the step sequences and the varied expressions. But I agree that for judges sake it would be better if the intent would be clearer, and they should think about going in one of the two directions more. I hope they are doing just that and more as we are discussing this - not only thinking about the possible changes, but already applying and training them. I so don't want them to fall behind Carreira/Ponomarenko and/or McNamara/Carpenter at US Nationals and fail to get a spot on the Worlds team - both are really talented teams, but, in my opinion, still lacking charisma and style.

All I can do is hope I never fall in love with another ice dance team again. From what I understand their limitations are the RD and some basic technical issues, neither of which Gadbois will be likely to correct, per my ice dance expert friend. I have enough agony with Alexa and Chris and Gracie without adding more.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone heard anything about this pair? I heard from a friend who attended that they missed a tour stop. Please no injuries!

slider11

Medalist
Hawayek and Baker are no longer listed in the Mentor Torun Cup. If injury is the issue, I hope it is resolved by Nationals.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Three days ago Kaitlin posted on Instagram that she couldn't wait to get to Nationals this week. So I'm cautiously optimistic they will be able to compete.

Oh good. Thanks. Very relieved. I have a special stuffie for them.