Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I just saw in the CoC thread. Apparently Kaitlin and Anna both hit their heads. Now her apparent dizziness at the end of the SD kind of makes sense. I hope she is OK. These head bumps are never to be taken lightly. I hope they are careful. I would prefer that they withdraw than to have lasting repercussions.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I am sure they will! This seems like it's probably going to be another 'building' year for them but that's okay- not all teams can instantly have mega success as seniors, the important thing is that they keep growing and improving :hap10:

It looks like they're following the same kind of trajectory as Marlie did--slow and steady up the ranks, and not a big splash. Didn't do Marlie any harm--and I think it will save H/Bk from experiencing the backlash the Shibs' experienced.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Best to Kaitlin (and Jean Luc) after their withdrawal today! Hopefully she will feel lots better soon :)

As a side note, it was really nice to see him be so supportive of her.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
Best to Kaitlin (and Jean Luc) after their withdrawal today! Hopefully she will feel lots better soon :)

As a side note, it was really nice to see him be so supportive of her.

Do we know what was wrong? Just sick? Hope she feels better!!! Love them!

Ekm

On the Ice
Hope Kaitlin feels better soon, food poisoning is terrible but at least it is not something that will affect them in the long run. Hopefully they'll be stronger than ever at nationals and get on that world team!

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Kaitlin looked both really sick and really disappointed that they had to withdraw. They made the right decision though - their health is most important, and I would have hated to see her throw up or faint on the ice. I agree that Jean Luc was fantastically supportive.

On the plus side, they have a long time between now and Nationals, which just means even more time to improve their programs and come out roaring!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I thought she was probably sick in that way after the SD. She looked very pale and like when you are trying to breathe but not too deeply or you'll gag. Poor girl. It was indeed lovely to see a very supportive partner in J-L.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I was just commenting in the G/P thread about how I thought they had the most original FD of the season and how I really like their FD. That made me think about the fact that I think HB have the second best FD of the season so far. As a team, HB are my favorites and I hope for the best for them. Looking forward to seeing them again at US Nationals!!! And snagging that podium and World Team!

slider11

Medalist
Agreed! Hoping that they made it back safely from China and kaitilin has fully recovered. Food poisoning can be tricky and have some lingering effects. I'm sure she's glad to be home and getting known medical care and sleeping in her own bed! Hope to hear positive things soon! I wonder if there was a withdrawal in the remaining GPs if they would have a chance at the spot?
I was just commenting in the G/P thread about how I thought they had the most original FD of the season and how I really like their FD. That made me think about the fact that I think HB have the second best FD of the season so far. As a team, HB are my favorites and I hope for the best for them. Looking forward to seeing them again at US Nationals!!! And snagging that podium and World Team!

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I wonder if there was a withdrawal in the remaining GPs if they would have a chance at the spot?
Of course not - they didn't withdraw from the whole competition, just from the FD, and even if they had withdrawn already from the SD, they would not have been able to get another spot. Even skaters whose withdrawal is much more timely don't get a spot at another GP even if they are ready to skate by that time. For instance, Misha Ge had to withdraw from TEB because of visa problems, but he didn't get a spot at another GP event even though he very likely would have been able to get a visa for a later event. It's just not done that way.

Last edited:

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I didn't even know they were scheduled for Tallin. I don't think it matters. They have Nationals ahead and should prepare. Maybe they should rework their SD. HD just scored a 64 on their SD at TEB, so poor HB will probably not make the World team this year, again, unless they fix that SD. The FD I think is great, and shouldn't touch it. It will probably be CB, Shibs and HD again. Personally, I don't like HD at all, but there it is. So, if I were HB, I would be reworking that SD right now. Forget Tallin.

slider11

Medalist
I agree. The ballerina theme was just not making it. Kaitlin is a wonderful lyrical skater but I don't see those classical ballerina qualities. Sure, she can work on it and it's probably not a bad exercise but meanwhile the scores are not making it. The problem is last year's latin theme also focused on their weakness as not a dramatic, "big" team. But perhaps there is a SD from one of their junior years that could be reworked to a senior level and presented at Nationals. Big risk. Maybe they just consider this year a "growing year" and work on the Nutcracker SD and see where it goes. I prefer Hawayek and Baker but I must say that Hubbell and Donahue have been persistent and put some decent numbers forward with the SD. I preferred Gilles and Poirier but H/D squeaked the edge and got first. I'm hoping that Hawayek and Baker are just home huddling with their coaches trying to figure out the next step and that Kaitlin is still not suffering from the effects of the food poisoning. Considering the tragedy in Paris, it is probably better for them to stay home and get strong.
I didn't even know they were scheduled for Tallin. I don't think it matters. They have Nationals ahead and should prepare. Maybe they should rework their SD. HD just scored a 64 on their SD at TEB, so poor HB will probably not make the World team this year, again, unless they fix that SD. The FD I think is great, and shouldn't touch it. It will probably be CB, Shibs and HD again. Personally, I don't like HD at all, but there it is. So, if I were HB, I would be reworking that SD right now. Forget Tallin.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I agree. The ballerina theme was just not making it. Kaitlin is a wonderful lyrical skater but I don't see those classical ballerina qualities. Sure, she can work on it and it's probably not a bad exercise but meanwhile the scores are not making it. The problem is last year's latin theme also focused on their weakness as not a dramatic, "big" team. But perhaps there is a SD from one of their junior years that could be reworked to a senior level and presented at Nationals. Big risk. Maybe they just consider this year a "growing year" and work on the Nutcracker SD and see where it goes. I prefer Hawayek and Baker but I must say that Hubbell and Donahue have been persistent and put some decent numbers forward with the SD. I preferred Gilles and Poirier but H/D squeaked the edge and got first. I'm hoping that Hawayek and Baker are just home huddling with their coaches trying to figure out the next step and that Kaitlin is still not suffering from the effects of the food poisoning. Considering the tragedy in Paris, it is probably better for them to stay home and get strong.

I agree that completely changing their SD is risky, but they have time, two months. Maybe they can just significantly rework it rather than scrap the whole thing, but I do think some reworking of the SD is necessary. I agree that they can still see this as a building year, but I think that would be a mistake. They are capable of more. If their FD was scoring as low as last year I would say, for sure, its a building year, but their FD scored at SA almost as high as some of the top Russian teams, almost as high as G/P at the same event, they are not 10+ pts away from these teams, just 2-4 pts. So, if they improve their SD to score in the low 60s it might be a different story, I think they could really bring it to HD.

Ekm

On the Ice
It would be nice if it didn't have to be between them and H&D as they are my two favorite US dance teams.