SP/LP: Combined number of quads | Golden Skate

SP/LP: Combined number of quads

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
What you have planned on paper doesn't mean much if you can't execute it.

That said, I think Javier would the first to land 5 quads in a competition. ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Hasn't Kevin Reynolds already done this? He plans 5 quads all the time. Then again, planned =/= landed. Same goes for every one of these guys planning 5 quads. I expect to see 3 landed on a good day. Especially since Javi and Kovtun both have pop problems. (I have a feeling Javi could end up landing all his quads but messing up his other jumps, thus losing to Yuzuru anyway).

I'd rather see someone plan 3 good quads and land them all, rather than planning 5 and landing 2. If these guys can land 5 quads, all the power to them! But if they can't, I'm not very impressed by "trying."

HanDomi

Record Breaker
The problem is when they will land all quads then they will miss some other easier jump. It shame that Javier landed all 3 quads, and then popped lutz.... That's just :sarcasm:

Even with 5 landed quads I don't see yet Maxim fighting with Yuzuru and Javier, but we will see how his programs will be. And number of quads doesn't mean that full program is really technically top, top. Javier have 3 quads in LP, Yuzuru 2, and Yuzuru still has quite advance in BV.
I don't know why Javier is not using second 3A in LP. He don't have bad 3A really.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
What you have planned on paper doesn't mean much if you can't execute it.

That said, I think Javier would the first to land 5 quads in a competition. ;)

I would think so, except he doesn't try two quads in his SP (though he should). Under CoP, there's no advantage to simply "winning" the SP, and you actually obtain an advantage in the overall competition if you try two quads instead of one. I don't think Javi and Hanyu will attempt 2 quads in the SP just yet, especially with Hanyu never having done a 4-3 combo.

Icey

Record Breaker
Hasn't Kevin Reynolds already done this? He plans 5 quads all the time. Then again, planned =/= landed. Same goes for every one of these guys planning 5 quads. I expect to see 3 landed on a good day. Especially since Javi and Kovtun both have pop problems. (I have a feeling Javi could end up landing all his quads but messing up his other jumps, thus losing to Yuzuru anyway).

I'd rather see someone plan 3 good quads and land them all, rather than planning 5 and landing 2. If these guys can land 5 quads, all the power to them! But if they can't, I'm not very impressed by "trying."

Yes, kevin has accomplished this and, of course, early on, Goebel landed three in a long program

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^If Kevin has already done skates where he executed 5 quads, Kovtun wouldn't be the first then.

2 SP quads weren't even allowed in Goebel's day. They'd only started allowing quads in the SP at all in 1998-ish.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
^If Kevin has already done skates where he executed 5 quads, Kovtun wouldn't be the first then.

2 SP quads weren't even allowed in Goebel's day. They'd only started allowing quads in the SP at all in 1998-ish.

Reynolds hasn't executed 5 quads in one competition, though he has executed 2 clean quads in the SP and 3 clean quads in the LP in separate competitions..

jimeonji

Final Flight
I don't think Javi and Hanyu will attempt 2 quads in the SP just yet, especially with Hanyu never having done a 4-3 combo.

Hanyu has done 4t3t, just never in competition. Had it planned the entire 2011-2012 season and didn't do it once (but he did to 4t2t at Worlds 2012). Mostly because his quad wasn't as consistent back then.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I don't think Javi and Hanyu will attempt 2 quads in the SP just yet, especially with Hanyu never having done a 4-3 combo.

We don't know Javier's complete layout yet but I could see him putting in 2 quads. And Yuzuru had a 4-3 combo at 16 in his short program. Though he never actually landed it clean in competition he did land it cleanly in a few ice shows in 2012.

The thing about having an extremely difficult layout is that it really messes with your head. You are screwed unless you are 100% confident going into your program and really attack those jumps because having even a bit of doubt will result in you popping your way through the program. You can easily go from being a gold contender to being knocked off the podium completely. Unfortunately this is all but rare now a days.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
We don't know Javier's complete layout yet but I could see him putting in 2 quads. And Yuzuru had a 4-3 combo at 16 in his short program. Though he never actually landed it clean in competition he did land it cleanly in a few ice shows in 2012.

I'm very surprised Javier is only attempting one quad in his SP, especially when he's landed a consistent 4S-3T a couple times. I mean, it makes sense with Hanyu, who has yet to get a consistent 4S, but Fernandez has done both quad toe and salchow with some reliability.

Icey

Record Breaker
Reynolds hasn't executed 5 quads in one competition, though he has executed 2 clean quads in the SP and 3 clean quads in the LP in separate competitions..
According to his bio on wiki he has:
He is the first and currently the only skater to have landed five quadruple jumps in one competition — at the 2013 Four Continents, he landed two quads in the short program and three in the free skate.

Might try to find the protocols for that competition.

According to the protocols he did "execute" 5 total quads in that competition, which he won; however, the two in the short received a < mark.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
I'm very surprised Javier is only attempting one quad in his SP, especially when he's landed a consistent 4S-3T a couple times. I mean, it makes sense with Hanyu, who has yet to get a consistent 4S, but Fernandez has done both quad toe and salchow with some reliability.

According to another poster, Javi is attempting two quads in his SP this season. I'm sure if that is the case he's going for (and will get if mostly clean) some huge scores, in order keep up with Yuzu

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?51113-2014-2015-Programs-by-Discipline/page11

(I couldn't get the video to work for me for whatever reason, so I can't verify anything.)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I would think so, except he doesn't try two quads in his SP (though he should). Under CoP, there's no advantage to simply "winning" the SP, and you actually obtain an advantage in the overall competition if you try two quads instead of one. I don't think Javi and Hanyu will attempt 2 quads in the SP just yet, especially with Hanyu never having done a 4-3 combo.
You haven't seen Javi's new SP yet? He landed both 4T and 4S in his new SP.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope he wins GPF at home:yes:
I hope so, too. If SP last season with THAT outfit can get 96 points, then his new SP this season with 2 quads (and a very handsome outfit :eek::) can get a new world record. I hope he will get lots of support at home. :clap: go Javi! :biggrin:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I hope so, too. If SP last season with THAT outfit can get 96 points, then his new SP this season with 2 quads (and a very handsome outfit :eek::) can get a new world record. I hope he will get lots of support at home. :clap: go Javi! :biggrin:

:rofl: True :biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Could you post a link please? I've seen the program (and love it!), just not with the quads in it.
It was at the ice shows in Japan and the reporters said his layout for SP will have 2 quads, one quad in combo, so maybe 4S, 3A and 3A 4T. There is not yet a video with full layout and Javi said they are still building the program so the clip might not be the final version.

But I am certain he will do 2 quads in the SP. Yuzuru also said that Javi now can jump 4 different quads already.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Does this mean that he can land a 4F/Lz?? :eek:
Maybe the 4loop and the 4luzt. It's Yuzuru who is his training mate said so. Yuzuru can also do the 4loop now, maybe he was learning it from Javi.