Canada’s Osmond seeks redemptive season | Golden Skate

Canada’s Osmond seeks redemptive season

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While the two-time Canadian champion's main goal this season is to defend her national title, she would also like to make the World team and redeem herself for the 11th place finish she had last year. More...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wish her well but she has her work cut out for her. She is still Canada's best shot but with the Americans, Japanaese, Russians, Korpi coming back, the Chinese and upcoming korean lady, Marchesi - she wil find it had to be in the top ten. But she has a wonderful positive attitude and the fact she is upping her jumps says a lot.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
I know there are some major fans of hers in this forum, but I can't say I have ever been impressed by any of her performances I have seen. Can any fans explain what they find special about her? I'm genuinely curious. Would be happy to watch some 'best of' performances, too.

Alba

Record Breaker
I know there are some major fans of hers in this forum, but I can't say I have ever been impressed by any of her performances I have seen. Can any fans explain what they find special about her? I'm genuinely curious. Would be happy to watch some 'best of' performances, too.

I loved her SP from the last season. I think she was underscored at Worlds, in the SP. Just my opinion.
The thing I most like about her is her natural capacity to perform. She looks like a born performer to me.
She is playful and flirty. ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I also think she was underscored in SP at Worlds. I would love to see her make a strong come back.:yay:

Alba

Record Breaker
I should add something else, her smile. It looks genuine to me and I like that. :yes:
I hate people smiling all the time - skaters in this case - and many looks fake.

aims

Rinkside
I would definitely like to see her 'do less'. Although she had fantastic transitions, she always seemed too frenzy by trying to jam-pack ALL that she can do, which made her programs appear hurried and hectic.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I should add something else, her smile. It looks genuine to me and I like that. :yes:
I hate people smiling all the time - skaters in this case - and many looks fake.
Yes, her smile. She looks like she truly enjoying skating the program, it's make-believe. She is enjoyable to watch. I hope she all the best.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
All the best to Kaetlyn. Whether she performs well or amazing, I still enjoy watching her skate. I can tell she really enjoys herself out on the ice, which is something I appreciate :rock:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

So far, she's what I would call a "short program skater." Nancy Kerrigan was a short program skater for most of her career. But really, with the right music, girlfriend just goes out there and PERFORMS. She's got an abundance of natural charisma, particularly with upbeat pieces. I don't think her LPs tend to be the right "fit" for her, at least so far. But she's just plain Fun to watch--which is more than you can say for some skaters who are better jumpers and spinners.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I loved her SP from the last season. I think she was underscored at Worlds, in the SP. Just my opinion.
The thing I most like about her is her natural capacity to perform. She looks like a born performer to me.
She is playful and flirty. ;)
That program was also technically daring for Osmond. She is still young and has time on her side.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
All the best to Kaetlyn. Whether she performs well or amazing, I still enjoy watching her skate. I can tell she really enjoys herself out on the ice, which is something I appreciate :rock:

Totally. She also had an endearing humble attitude and is a natural performer.

Other skaters look like its a day at the office whereas she wants to impress the audience.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Aw I was hoping to see her keep her SP from last season, loved it, she's such a great performer, lots of charisma and great energy on ice. Hopefully this season will be injury free and she can skate two clean programs.

TMC

Record Breaker
Totally. She also had an endearing humble attitude and is a natural performer.

Other skaters look like its a day at the office whereas she wants to impress the audience.

I agree.

This is what I like about Kaetlyn: She looks happy, she appears to be really enjoying the performance even if she makes some mistakes, she has charisma and enough skill and she's a bit different from the stereotypical princessy lady skater. She has many of the qualities that Jason Brown has -joy in skating, born performer, charisma and a happy off-ice personality - and I like those qualities.

Icey

Record Breaker
Considering she lost almost all the points on her layback spin (received 0.39 points for it) in the short program and received an edge call on her lutz, I think her sp score was about right.

Last year during the short program, the British commentators praised her "always doing something", so it will be interesting to see how this doing less approach plays out with the judges.

noskates

Record Breaker
I've never been impressed with Kaetlyn. To me she looks "heavy" on the ice. I don't see the energy or charisma at all. Maybe its because I didn't care for the black black hair and the costumes last year. Wish she would dress more age appropriate. Would really love to see her do well this year for Canada though.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree.

This is what I like about Kaetlyn: She looks happy, she appears to be really enjoying the performance even if she makes some mistakes, she has charisma and enough skill and she's a bit different from the stereotypical princessy lady skater. She has many of the qualities that Jason Brown has -joy in skating, born performer, charisma and a happy off-ice personality - and I like those qualities.

:agree:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I've never been impressed with Kaetlyn. To me she looks "heavy" on the ice. I don't see the energy or charisma at all. Maybe its because I didn't care for the black black hair and the costumes last year. Wish she would dress more age appropriate. Would really love to see her do well this year for Canada though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k24XVTVSxks

You don't see any energy or charisma in that performance? :unsure:

Not sure what you mean by "heavy"... I'm assuming you're not referring to her build, but rather the way she moves on the ice. I agree that she needs refinement and "reining it in" a bit, and she doesn't have the "ethereal" quality that someone like Kostner/Edmunds has, but I think she has good speed, attack, flow and transitions.