Who will push the technical edge in Ladies FS? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Who will push the technical edge in Ladies FS?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Am I the only one here who doesn't really care about skaters "pushing the edge ", as long as we see clean and beautiful skating? :slink: I really hope many of these girls will work on quality and they'll be able to produce good "complete" performances rather than attempting 3A/quads just to fall again and again competition after competition...

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Am I the only one here who doesn't really care about skaters "pushing the edge ", as long as we see clean and beautiful skating? :slink: I really hope many of these girls will work on quality and they'll be able to produce good "complete" performances rather than attempting 3A/quads just to fall again and again competition after competition...

I think we all want to see clean beautiful skating but with the amount of competition doing harder elements is the most objective way a skater can know that they'll get a higher score. Especially with the amount of competition in ladies FS in Russia, all of them are landing 3-3s and might continue to push as there are only 3 spots available for Worlds and another 3 for Euros. 3A/Quads are a bit unlikely but I mentioned on the first page we might see more 3-3-2s since it won't use up as many triples as once and it might be less risky than a 3A/Quad.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker

I am with you on that. I miss program quality.

TheCzar

On the Ice

The thing is- there are skaters out there who skate BEAUTIFUL programs. If not BEAUTIFULLY. Take someone like Carolina, or Kiira Korpi. These two ladies skate wonderfully, and they have well thought out programs, as well as great musicality and grace. Wonderful. But after a while, it gets stale and you need something to keep, not just the audience or the judges, but the actual program alive and exciting- hence the difficulty. Obviously, it can also be argued that an 8-triple program would be amazing to behold but without a structure, it's just a jumping clinic (hello Miki Ando). So really, one needs BALANCE in the program. Difficulty needs artistry and these two qualities will keep the sport thriving. As much as I would like to see everyone skate clean and prettily- I would be more than happy to see otherwise, knowing that an athlete is growing both stylistically and as a sportsman/woman. After all, why bother learning the tricks if you won't push it further?

In that sense, I really do feel that in the last two quads Mao and Kim pushed the boundaries. One had a 3A, and the other a 3Lz-3T (at some point in their careers, two 3-3s.) They also had choreography, skating skills, performance skills and artistry. They represent the ideal figure skater who can cultivate all the qualities and employ them all.

However, the lesson for the youngsters is that there are no shortcuts. You can't just expect to win medals because you landed a 3-3 or a 3As. Champions are not made overnight.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'd like to see skaters attempt difficult elements if they have a decent chance of landing them. If Liza gets a 3A with over 60% success rate (and the other 40% isn't always full-on splat), hell yes, I'd like to see her bring it to competition, and I'd like to see her rewarded for it. However, if Liza's 3A has a 10% success rate at best and she's just attempting it on the off chance she hits it, I say forget it, work on skating cleanly and building PCS.

I don't think we're going to see 3A/4T very much, but if someone can do it, I think they should.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Was Midori Ito really quick in the air? (I just find it hard to believe because of the leg wrap). It seemed like she just jumped so high--higher than 95% of the men in the field--that it really didn't matter what her rotation/technique was.

Actually, midori Ito's leg wrap is more a semi wrap rather than a full leg wrap. She barely pushes 5 ft but her jumps are scarily huge and powerful. She does not rotate as quick as Mao or Lip but she had the classical delayed rotation and I think the big height allowed her time to complete the 3A and she was already unchecking by the time she was about to land. So to me, that is the perfect jump. The only one who comes remotely close is tonya Harding who has a similar short but powerful stature with big high jumps - at least before she messed herself up. I put her below Ito only because her 3A and other triples can be awfully tilted and you worry if she can even land without a splat.

NMURA

Medalist
In that sense, I really do feel that in the last two quads Mao and Kim pushed the boundaries. One had a 3A, and the other a 3Lz-3T (at some point in their careers, two 3-3s.)

Kim hasn't push the boudary at all. She came out with "6 triples" when everyone is doing 7 triples, and expected to "win" as long as skating "cleanly". Kim is the symbol of "play it safe". Its defeat marks the arrival of the new era.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Kim hasn't push the boudary at all. She came out with "6 triples" when everyone is doing 7 triples, and expected to "win" as long as skating "cleanly". Kim is the symbol of "play it safe". Its defeat marks the arrival of the new era.

I think 'her retirement' would be the respectful way to phrase this :)

FSGMT

Record Breaker

I think 'her retirement' would be the respectful way to phrase this :)
Let's say that I agree with both of you... And that's why I like Yu-Na! ;) She focused on beauty and quality, as Carolina did when she was injuried and in 2011-2012, and we all saw the results. Now 6 triples is not enough, we can all agree with that, but 7 triples+clean and beautiful skating should really be physically enough for these girls, and this is what I would like to see! As much as I prefer Yu-Na skating clean with 6 triples rather than Yu-Na attempting the 3Lo and falling on it 60% of the times

BusyMom

Medalist
At the end of every Olympic circles, people tend to drop the veteran skaters like a sack of potatoes. Who knows what will happen in the future. For good or bad every sports evolve in some way. But the accomplished athletes deserve some recognitions in their own rights. Yuna and Mao are the best of their era. End of story.

Next phase definitely will be very interesting. Russian already have solid team. US's new bloods look promising. Korea has So-Youn and Hae-jin plus Da Bin Choi. Being part of OG team in their own country will be a big boost for their determinations. Japanese men are super secure now. Hope to see more of the promising new faces from the European side too. :popcorn:

cooper

Medalist

yeah.. because the 7 triple program with questionable technique just to show everyone "OMG it's a 7 triple program..yada yada.." is the real definition of pushing the boundary..

i guess quality and consistency doesn't count..

Macassar88

Medalist
yeah.. because the 7 triple program with questionable technique just to show everyone "OMG it's a 7 triple program..yada yada.." is the real definition of pushing the boundary..

Well consistency shouldn't. It's about how you do on the night.

But in response to the question - I worry that Liza won't want to increase the mental load of her programs by adding a 3A yet.

Maybe Adelina with the quad? Her triple toe is huge.

MiRé

Match Penalty

Mao hasn't either. She won silver in 2010 with 4 triples. Hardly a push

cooper

Medalist
Well consistency shouldn't. It's about how you do on the night.

But in response to the question - I worry that Liza won't want to increase the mental load of her programs by adding a 3A yet.

Maybe Adelina with the quad? Her triple toe is huge.

yeah.. like one hit wonder..

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice

I think Yuna did indeed choose the "play it safe" strategy. I'm not saying that this was a bad strategy, it worked very well for her, but she didn't push the technical side of ladies figure skating at all. Again, I'm not saying that this was a bad thing, Yuna had a wonderful career, no one can deny that.