Who will push the technical edge in Ladies FS? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who will push the technical edge in Ladies FS?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Instead of focusing on learning new jumps, she seriously needs to work on fixing her 2A and other jumps, which are rapidly diminishing in power.

I think this was an intentional choice to improve her consistency. She really isn't getting punished in GOE for it; in Sochi, even on her smallish 3Lo she got mostly +2 from the judges, same for her 2A there in the LP. But I agree she won't be doing a 3A with her current technique.

TheCzar

On the Ice
It's one thing to land 3As, 4Ts and 3-3-3s in practices, but its a whole different thing landing them in competition. The thing is, yes- it's not always the best idea to try and land anyone of these because it doesn't pay off in points. And in terms of difficulty, maxing out levels and having a 3-3 already is a pretty high bar for the current field. We're looking at the novices who come in built with these elements already, the same way the Russian babies all came armed with a 3Lz-3T. For the current crop of veterans and mid-range skaters- unless you are a once in a lifetime jumper like Ito, Asada, Kim- it's smarter to polish everything else and worry about 3As later.

But I agree with Kwanatic- it takes some serious balls to even attempt it in competition. Kimmie Meissner gets a special kudos for trying at Worlds, and so does Yukari Nakano- but really, after Asada retires, I'd be surprised to be who has the guts to try (and make it look effortless)

minze

Medalist
It's one thing to land 3As, 4Ts and 3-3-3s in practices, but its a whole different thing landing them in competition. The thing is, yes- it's not always the best idea to try and land anyone of these because it doesn't pay off in points. And in terms of difficulty, maxing out levels and having a 3-3 already is a pretty high bar for the current field. We're looking at the novices who come in built with these elements already, the same way the Russian babies all came armed with a 3Lz-3T. For the current crop of veterans and mid-range skaters- unless you are a once in a lifetime jumper like Ito, Asada, Kim- it's smarter to polish everything else and worry about 3As later.

But I agree with Kwanatic- it takes some serious balls to even attempt it in competition. Kimmie Meissner gets a special kudos for trying at Worlds, and so does Yukari Nakano- but really, after Asada retires, I'd be surprised to be who has the guts to try (and make it look effortless)

Ditto. Without sounding too dramatic 3a will retire with Mao Asada. The risk is too high the reward is not enough

BusyMom

Medalist
Haruka Imai did the 3A at National. I remember that she fell but not sure about the rotation.

smarts1

On the Ice
Lets not forget Polina. She can jump and if she gains some muscle I wouldn't be surprised to see her get a 3a or eek out a quad.

Gracie. None of the above. To me her jumps are diminishing and instead she will develop more into a SS and artistic skater as she ages. Nothing wrong with that but I fear her tech has maxed out and is going in the wrong direction.

Yulia. Maybe a quad but it will be low and something weird like in combo :eek: 2a-4t? Who knows but if she gets determined enough look out...maybe a 4f even. I like her 3f and she gets it clean usually. Maybe not the first to do quads but I wouldn't count her out entirely. 3a :laugh: :no:

Radinova. Until she hits a growth spurt I'm not sure anyone can guess her fate. Maybe a 3-3-3. She's got heart and is every bit as serious about this sport as anyone so if she puts her mind to it who knows. Her strength is artistic interpretation so she'll probably just try to skate clean and focus on her performance.

Adelina. She is the most likely to get a 3a and has the power to get a 4t. Would anyone be surprised if she got both as soon as next season. Not me. Best jumper of the ladies left. OTOH I saw a video of her working on what appeared to be pairs skating. Wouldn't that be something.

Liza. I didnt like the way her jumps looked last year. Maybe a 3a but she should just be focusing on skating clean programs at this point and working her way up the standings. Hopefully she has some magic left and proves me wrong. I love Liza and the way the last two years have unfolded jumpwise have made me quite sad.

So Youn Park. Any thoughts? I'm undecided on her tech level or mostly uninformed.

Polina probably won't be capable of the triple axel. Her axel is not great. I think Adelina might get a 3 axel, and even though her double axel is huge, the technique is kind of a little bizarre (she doesn't really take off on the toe).

NMURA

Medalist
Haruka Imai did the 3A at National. I remember that she fell but not sure about the rotation.

No, that was Miyabi Oba.
Oba won't do the 3A in this season. Her priority should be improving her PB.
The conservative two 2A-3T option is more likely.

BusyMom

Medalist
No, that was Miyabi Oba.
Oba won't do the 3A in this season. Her priority should be improving her PB.
The conservative two 2A-3T option is more likely.
Oh sorry. Thanks for the correction. :biggrin: But I heard that a few Japanese girls working on the 3A including Marin. We might get to see them in competition still, right?

NMURA

Medalist
As I checked, there are some 3A<< attempts from (non-Mao) Japanese ladies at local competitions.

Sakura Yamada 2014 All-Osaka 3rd
http://www.jsfresults.com/local/2013-2014/fs/27/02/data0205.pdf

Miu Suzaki 2013 Chubu Japan 7th
http://www.jsfresults.com/local/2012-2013/fs/22/03/data1105.pdf

Yukiko Fujisawa attempted about four times in the 2010-2011 season
http://www.jsfresults.com/local/2010-2011/fs/40/02_ijs/data0205.pdf

Miyabi Oba 2013 Japanese Nationals 13th in the FS (10th overall)
http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2013-2014/fs_e/nationals/data0205.pdf

Oba actually landed a 3A (with a litte turnout) in the warmup. There was a video on Youtube but it was removed.

BusyMom

Medalist
As I checked, there are some 3A<< attempts from (non-Mao) Japanese ladies at local competitions.

Sakura Yamada 2014 All-Osaka 3rd
http://www.jsfresults.com/local/2013-2014/fs/27/02/data0205.pdf

Miu Suzaki 2013 Chubu Japan 7th
http://www.jsfresults.com/local/2012-2013/fs/22/03/data1105.pdf

Yukiko Fujisawa attempted about four times in the 2010-2011 season
http://www.jsfresults.com/local/2010-2011/fs/40/02_ijs/data0205.pdf

Miyabi Oba 2013 Japanese Nationals 13th in the FS (10th overall)
http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2013-2014/fs_e/nationals/data0205.pdf

Oba actually landed a 3A (with a litte turnout) in the warmup. There was a video on Youtube but it was removed.
Thank you NMURA for info. Glad to hear all about those efforts. :clap:

MiRé

Match Penalty
I want to know who will push the "artistic" side in Ladies FS. Attempting 3A and Quads would make these girls telegraph for the half of the time. But then, PCS isn't really earned these days. sadly.

Barb

Record Breaker
Nobody, from tonya and Midori to Mao were like 14 years, why do you think so easy others girls will do, let alone include it in each competition

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to :laugh: when i hear about all these girls who are supposed to be practicing 3axels when we all know no one will attempt one this season.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to know who will push the "artistic" side in Ladies FS. Attempting 3A and Quads would make these girls telegraph for the half of the time. But then, PCS isn't really earned these days. sadly.

I agree with the part about jumps being telegraphed. There are girls already skating the entire length of the rink to do 3lz. :snore: I so prefer a jump to be an accent to a well constructed and obviously well delivered program. I also prefer watching skaters go fearlessly into jumps with little set up. When a jump takes center stage of a program it kinda bums me out. I love Mao's 3a but her step sequence was the best part of her FS program. When she dropped the second 3a the entire program sang to me much better and the results in Sochi were breathtaking. Best skate of the quad maybe :clap:

Re: artistry

You could start a thread but its so subjective it is likely to get nasty. Serafima and So Youn immediately come to mind. These things should be discussed in another thread though:slink:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Who will push the technical side? Adelina, Liza, Elena, and Anna. But who will get triple axels/quads? Likely nobody (and whoever gets it won't be rewarded enough).

If someone gets it:
Liza: She used to be able to land 3A, and I think she can get it back if she remains injury-free. At her full potential, 4T isn't impossible either. I wouldn't recommend this next season though--I want her to skate cleanly and rebuild some rep with the judges. After that, we can talk about 3A and 4T. She is the best natural jumper left (and, when on, tends to have less wonky landings than other natural jumpers like Slutskaya and Harding).

Adelina: Her 3T is huge, and her 2A is solid. The problem I foresee is that she doesn't rotate fast enough to get quads or 3As ratified (Liza's in-air rotation is her biggest advantage). However, maybe the fact that she already has the ultimate prize will inspire her to try high-risk things.

I don't see Yulia getting quads or 3As (2A-4T is insane and impossible. I doubt anyone right now, man or woman, keep the flow from a 2A to do a 4t afterwards. In competition, at least). I could see her getting more/different 3-3s if she wants them, and if they're useful under COP. I can see Radionova doing 3-3-3, but it's not well-rewarded enough to be worth it. Gracie... I'm with Sam, I think she's maxed out her tech and is actually going backwards. Polina is a question mark.

Icey

Record Breaker
Some, as yet unknown, skater will probably startle us with their prowess, but the knowns will probably play it safe, with the exception of Yuzuru.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see Yulia getting quads or 3As (2A-4T is insane and impossible. I doubt anyone right now, man or woman, keep the flow from a 2A to do a 4t afterwards. In competition, at least).

You might be right but one of Eteri's students does a 2a-4t. I've posted the video here several times. He may unleash it in competition someday if he is practicing it somewhat regularly.

I agree it may be more unlikely than not but....Yulia is right there watching it done and the way she lands her 2a is good enough to at least say its possible. Her low axel is the perfect storm for a combo jump. Again...it's possible but unlikely. Or maybe unnecassary is a better term. Who knows right.

The only female I expect to push the tech level via quads and 3a's in the coming years is Adelina. I may love Tuk but I don't have very high expectations at this point :slink: OTOH maybe some of the Japanese skaters due to Mao's 3a ability may have lofty goals themselves:popcorn:

NMURA

Medalist
Yuna Aoki could be a name worthy of a notice. She is the 2nd place at last year's novice nationals (between Higuchi and Honda). I've heard that she's practicing the 3A. This article mentions even the quad (not specified but probably salchow). Her jumps are very high (similar to Onda?) as the hope for 2018 Olympics. (not eligible for JGP this season)