Is Gold solid as numero uno with USFS? | Golden Skate

Is Gold solid as numero uno with USFS?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Reading responses to Ashley thread I wonder if Grace is solidly number one with the USFSA. I think Grace will have to win this year decisively over Ash and Polina. The skater I love to watch besides the top 4 this past year is Smantha Cesario. I think she is an incredibly exciting skater and like her so much better than most skaters on the world scene. I think she missed out on her time tho due to that injury. I loved her Carmen more than anyone's including Katarina Witt. People seem to hate Carmen but Smantha broughtfire and freshness. Plus being beautiful does not hurt.

With all things Gold I wonder who else will drop out this year? I was so sad to see the demise of Agnes. And surprised that Mirai is hanging in there. I was surprised also she got two grand prix assignments. I guess they felt sorry for her after last year is my guess and she has been around a long time now on senior level. I think Mirai has taken the place of another sometime great skater Alissa C. Did AC ever make a formal retirement? Is she done with competition?

I think Gracie will be more nervous defending her title but I can't see anyone beating her unless she falls twice and Polina or Ashley have two great skates. I think we have currently 5 very interesting performers. I forgot who else got assignments. Is Christina still competing this year? I like her but have to say she doesn't really grab me like some other US ladies do.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think Gracie's secure this year. After that? No, I don't see her heading into Pyeongchang as leading lady.

noskates

Record Breaker
Well, I think Gracie is the one to beat this coming season and in the seasons to come. That is unless someone REALLY comes out of the junior ranks with the whole package - not just jumps!!! It will be interesting to see how Polina matures. But I still think Gracie has a lock on Numero Uno unless she self-implodes. I look forward to the results of Frank Carroll having a whole year to work with her. I also think trying to guess what's going to happen 4 years from now is sort of pointless.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think she will stay #1 for atleast another season. After that who knows. I could easily see Edmunds overtaking her before too long. I wouldn't write off Hicks for the future just yet, and some new talents will emerge. I also would be surprised to see her head into 2018 as still U.S #1 but we will see.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Ashley could still challenge Gracie at Nationals if she changes her recent track record of skating badly at Nationals. I agree with you about Samantha Cesario. I think she is underrated.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think there is a good chance of Polina being on top this season (or deserving to be, anyway). She is more musical than Gracie and already very competitive technically. She also definitely seems like the kind of person who improves quickly and would learn from her Olympic/Worlds experiences. If she has worked on adding more speed and projection into her skating, then watch out.

Cesario is definitely underrated, but she REALLY needs to work on her spins and get a reliable Triple-Triple in the SP.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It is bad news for Ashley the last 2 seasons she has had by far her worst outings of the year at Nationals. She will not get away with it this time, no longer the defacto U.S #1, heck she didn't even get away with it last year to the judges who despite her status did absolutely nothing to protect her unlike 2013 (which surprised me a lot at the time I admit). This time she will need to skate very well to even ensure her spot on the team, let alone bid for the title again. She wont have as much pressure on her this time though (barring a shocking season, winning both her grand prix or the grand prix final for instance), so that might be better for her.

composer

On the Ice
I'd hesitate to make any predictions until I've seen at least some Senior B/GP performances from all of the US ladies. So much depends on the program, music, peaking at the right time etc. And we don't always know what, if anything, happened over the summer. Did someone master a new skill? Have a growth spurt? Or a secret baby?

caelum

On the Ice
Gracie has consistently issues, while she seemed to be improving last season, it all fell apart again at World's. Her issues at Worlds also don't seem to be a flukes either, considering she's having the same issues at many stops at SOI (at least based on videos I've seen), especially her 2A, but even her lutz that is normally giant seems to be declining somewhat. If she's reasonably consistent (think 1 big mistake per competition), then I think she'll hold off the other's, but otherwise it's quite plausible that Polina will pass her and maybe even Ashley. Cesario is a wildcard in the future, but I don't think for next season she'll threaten as USFS preferred choice.

anyanka

Record Breaker
She is, unless she also does pairs, becomes #1 there and skates in both disciplines like Kristi Yamaguchi did before she split with Rudi Galindo, and then she breaks up in her partnership like the latest crop of US pairs.

desertskates

Medalist
I really think this year's nationals could really be any of the top 3 or Mirai, depending on what they put out there. The main thing that makes me doubt Gracie a bit is the "target" that is now on her back.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The thing Edmunds lacks, along with the same level of reputation yet, is the skating skills and speed and power over the ice of Gold or even Wagner. I think that, along with possibly more USFSA favor at the moment, is what will keep Gold above her atleast next year. If Edmunds can improve her basics though, and Gold doesn't improve her consistency further, Gold is in trouble in a couple years and beyond.

I don't see any universe Mirai is crowned U.S champion again, but they might let her on another world team after last years fiasco if she earns it clearly and cleanly.

noskates

Record Breaker
Mark the date and the time - I'm actually agreeing with everything pantongfan said in the last post!!!!

Totally agree about Polina but I'm reminded at how young she is. I think this coming Nationals will be a turning point for her - one way or another. It's relatively easy to skate your best when there isn't any pressure on you and no one has expectations for you. That will all change this year.

I wish the best for Mirai but am placing her under the same category as Sasha Cohen. It's titled "if only......."

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Mark the date and the time - I'm actually agreeing with everything pantongfan said in the last post!!!!

Totally agree about Polina but I'm reminded at how young she is. I think this coming Nationals will be a turning point for her - one way or another. It's relatively easy to skate your best when there isn't any pressure on you and no one has expectations for you. That will all change this year.

I wish the best for Mirai but am placing her under the same category as Sasha Cohen. It's titled "if only......."

Sasha atleast had a wonderful career though with many world medals, a grand prix final title (which is almost like a world title), an Olympic silver. Not what could have been, but still outstanding. Mirai sadly will almost certainly never come even close to those heights. In fact no matter how hard she tries at this point, her best days are probably behind her, especialy with her lack of USFSA love and support (for whatever reason) she now gets. I am not sure what she could ever do to make her a favorite of theirs with so many younger U.S skaters on the rise, and no real strong international results in forever.

Her real window was 2010-2012. That is when she needed to step it up and deliver. 2010 worlds was the biggest blown opportunity, along with probably 2011 Nationals. Had she established herself then it would probably make her a top skater stilil now. Unfortunately now her skating has declined even on a good day, and she isn't rewarded even that well even when she skates well as she isn't really in favor either in the U.S or out of it at this point, with so long passed not living up to hopes/expectations, and all the new skaters to emerge in the interim.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I think if Gracie is clean or nearly clean, she'll stay on top. If she struggles, Ashley could overtake her. Ashley is still pretty solid, I think.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Sasha atleast had a wonderful career though with many world medals, a grand prix final title (which is almost like a world title), an Olympic silver. Not what could have been, but still outstanding. Mirai sadly will almost certainly never come even close to those heights. In fact no matter how hard she tries at this point, her best days are probably behind her, especialy with her lack of USFSA love and support (for whatever reason) she now gets. I am not sure what she could ever do to make her a favorite of theirs with so many younger U.S skaters on the rise, and no real strong international results in forever.

Her real window was 2010-2012. That is when she needed to step it up and deliver. 2010 worlds was the biggest blown opportunity, along with probably 2011 Nationals. Had she established herself then it would probably make her a top skater stilil now. Unfortunately now her skating has declined even on a good day, and she isn't rewarded even that well even when she skates well as she isn't really in favor either in the U.S or out of it at this point, with so long passed not living up to hopes/expectations, and all the new skaters to emerge in the interim.

Yeah, I put Cohen closer to Kostner, minus the longevity--very very talented, won many medals, but wasn't necessarily able to deliver on the HUGE HUGE potential there.

Mirai is a classic "what could have been" situation. She had the talent to succeed but she blew too many opportunities and for whatever reason rumors about her work ethic abounded. These two factors, plus her split from Frank, prevented her from reaching her full potential. Ah well. I'd still like to see her skate solidly even though I don't think she'll ever be an international threat.

Coltrocks12

On the Ice

I think Gracie is the one to beat right now. I like Marai but think she will have to coach up before the federation gives her any due. I don't care for Ashley and she tends to struggle at Nats, but she does score well internationally. Polina is young and time will tell what will happen to her as her body changes. She could be great or she could implode like Kimmy Meisner.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I think that because its a question, we should all assume there is no USFSA "favorite." Good, bad, or indifferent, the USFSA doesn't seem comfortable holding any skater up simply because of reputation. After last year's Nationals and the lack of individual medals at the Olympics, I see the USFSA putting the responsibility on the skaters to show up this season, esp at Nationals, and putting together two solid skates and earning that top spot.

This tends to happen after an Olympic cycle when the youngsters are given the opportunity to shine and the older skaters reaffirm their hold. Its always an interesting time and I for one am looking forward to this next cycle as I've been underwhelmed with the US ladies and men. But I'm a skating fan and we are an optimistic bunch...right until we have reason to be cynical....