Zhang and Bartholomay Withdraw from GP; split | Golden Skate

Zhang and Bartholomay Withdraw from GP; split

flutzy13

On the Ice
The ISU website confirming that Z/B have scratched from their GP assignments, pretty much confirming the rumors that they've ended their partnership picked up steamearlier this week.

http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/156137/gp_pairs_updated-july-10.pdf

While nothing surprises me really in pairs this season, the incredibly late timing of this split does. I wonder what happened. They were ticking upward, making the Olympics unexpectedly and with a very good shot at the 2015 World team (and probably at least co-favorites for the US pairs title) once C/S and D/C were out of the equation.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So, it is basically Scimeca/Knierim all alone as US #1 this year? (Interesting that Berton/Hotarek are still listed in the GP entries :think: )

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, saw all the chatter in the other forum, but was hoping against hope; I don't generally follow pairs, but they actually seed to work well together, even without "big" elements. And Nate is a homeboy for me (go Newtown Knights! :). Sheesh...

flutzy13

On the Ice
So, it is basically Scimeca/Knierim all alone as US #1 this year? (Interesting that Berton/Hotarek are still listed in the GP entries :think: )

I don't know what that means other than USFS obviously communicated with the ISU in the past few days. In addition to the Z/B big, Lam has also scratched and Cannuscio/McManus and Razzano have received SA spots. Italy just may not have confirmed/updated anything yet. I'll be surprised if we see B/H but stranger things have happened.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Arghhhhhhhhhh I hate US pairs. It is impossible to invest because they pretty much ALL just up and do this.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
Is it possible that Z/B had an injury? I find it really weird that they would just up and split now, after the success they had last season. Guess I'll be looking for an official announcement. Happy for the skaters newly assigned to Skate America! As much as I hate to say it, I'm glad Lam won't be using that spot at Russia. She had a really poor performance at nationals (I think finished second to last) and I think there are other skaters in the US or other countries who deserve a chance at their 1st GP assignment or for someone who has one assignment to get a second.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Is it possible that Z/B had an injury? I find it really weird that they would just up and split now, after the success they had last season. Guess I'll be looking for an official announcement. Happy for the skaters newly assigned to Skate America! As much as I hate to say it, I'm glad Lam won't be using that spot at Russia. She had a really poor performance at nationals (I think finished second to last) and I think there are other skaters in the US or other countries who deserve a chance at their 1st GP assignment or for someone who has one assignment to get a second.

Its of course possible but there have also been heavy rumors that he's trying out with Gretchen Donlan from a poster on FSU who is usually pretty on point with SCoB rumors. I tend to think they have indeed split although I agree that it doesn't make much sense. But neither did the splits of a lot of other teams this season.

ITA on Lam.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Its of course possible but there have also been heavy rumors that he's trying out with Gretchen Donlan from a poster on FSU who is usually pretty on point with SCoB rumors. I tend to think they have indeed split although I agree that it doesn't make much sense. But neither did the splits of a lot of other teams this season.

ITA on Lam.

Why would he try out with Donlan? I love Donlan, but she can't land a jump to save her life. The only advantage to her over Felicia is that she has slightly better lines (but much worse speed) and is one inch shorter.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Why would he try out with Donlan? I love Donlan, but she can't land a jump to save her life. The only advantage to her over Felicia is that she has slightly better lines (but much worse speed) and is one inch shorter.

Agree although in context, no one seems to know why the split happened or who initiated it. There was no hint of the idea that he split with Felicia for a tryout with Gretchen. Just that he was now trying out with her or had done so recently.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I noticed yesterday that Felicia retweeted a quote from another source: "For every door that closes, opportunity is knocking somewhere close by. For every ending, there is a new beginning." It briefly crossed my mind at the time that maybe something was happening with her partnership with Bartholomay but dismissed the idea because it didn't make sense (I don't follow other FS forums).

If it is true, I find it disappointing. Not only because they had a shot at the US championships this year but also because I thought they had a nice rapport and friendship on and off the ice.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Agree although in context, no one seems to know why the split happened or who initiated it. There was no hint of the idea that he split with Felicia for a tryout with Gretchen. Just that he was now trying out with her or had done so recently.

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I doubt you but this is all just too bizarre to me. They were on the rise. I also thought Grechen had retired. I guess this is all still rumors at this point. I feel frustrated so I think I am going to step back and not say anything else for now except for that, while I clearly do find this maddening, I do hope everyone involved is able to find a happy and workable solution for them going forward.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I saw the rumors and it made me sad. I'm sure they have their reasons, whatever they may be, and I wish them both the best.

noskates

Record Breaker
Arghhhhhhhhhh I hate US pairs. It is impossible to invest because they pretty much ALL just up and do this.

Totally agree. So frustrating. I guess Haven Denney and her partner will have to bring it up a few notches for us. Sheesh.

This is exactly my sentiment. I am so frustrated with the situation, and I had especially liked Z/B after their buoyant performance at Nationals. Very disappointing.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One thing I have noticed about Z/B, though is that their lifts were just adequate and every once in awhile he actually missed a lift, which is a huge deduction. Everything they did was no better than average, so that even when they skated squeaky clean their marks weren't anywhere near as high as Castelli/Shnapir with mistakes and falls.

If he is switching to Donlan I don't see any major improvement for him as Felicia is a much, much better jumper and better at landing throws. Donlan is elegant in lifts but that won't help if he misses the lift the way he sometimes did with Felicia.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
US Pairs looked so bright a few months ago. Pairs competition at Nationals was actually pretty awesome.

But I guess it will be interesting this season to see who will take the title, one of the remaining pairs (Scimeca/Knerim; Kayne/O'Shea; Denney/Frazier; Aaron/Settlage) or newbie pairs (Leng/Shnapir; Castelli/Tran)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
They have small tricks which keep their TES low even with cleanish skates, but not only that, their PCS aren't high either. At U.S nationals last year they had only the 6th highest PCS for their 2nd placed short program, behind some younger out of junior pairs, and would have been more like 7th, 8th, or 9th highest had everyone gone clean. They seem to have reasonable presentation but I guess their skating skills and dynamics aren't enough for the judges either. That combined with that they often blow a lift like chuckm said, and well it would be hard for them to carry on from where they were last year. I still would have liked to see them try though, and I am sure he will be any better off with a new partner. He is a small and not physically strong guy for a pairs skater, and I think Felicia is both as good a partner as he would be able to get, and about as well matched with him in abilities as he would fine.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
What is going on? I just wish that some pairs would stick around for a while, because it seems like as soon as they do, something happens. Hopefully, Denney/Coughlin will come back in 15/16 season, and be great. As far the next season goes... meh...

Btw, has anyone seen an official announcement for the scratches (Zhang/Bartholomay and Lam)? I'm curious.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yikes, this has been a rough offseason for US pairs. I agree with the other posters it is difficult to invest too much energy on this discipline, it is too volatile with very little satisfaction for fans.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
If it is true, I find it disappointing. Not only because they had a shot at the US championships this year but also because I thought they had a nice rapport and friendship on and off the ice.

This especially. I was following their Twitter and Instagram and half of it is them posting selfies with each other and clearly just hanging out as friends. Perhaps it was more than friends and something went sour? Either way, I am sad and disappointed. They may not have been the star athletes, but they were a joy to watch, especially at Nationals. Can't enjoy that les mis free skate without a bittersweet take now :((