Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Mia29

On the Ice
Gabriella Papadakis gave an interview today where she says the problem is mostly the light, the symptoms are still there when she uses her eyes for an activity (to read, to watch a film...). However, she is confident for the worlds

Catlau

On the Ice
A new French article : http://www.lequipe.fr/Patinage-artistique/Actualites/Gabriella-papadakis-va-mieux/591696 :

Suffering a concussion since August 28th, Gabriella Papadakis (20 years old) has resumed training this week in Montreal. But she has still symptoms : "I still have problems concentrating ; light hurts me. But my body is getting better, and I have no more loss of balance issues. It is OK on the ice as long as I don't make rotations", she said. The couple beginnings in competition this season is still scheduled as the Masters in Orleans on October 9th and 10th."We are late, but it is not as if the accident happened 2 weeks before the World championships", said Gabriella.

Pika

Final Flight
I translated the interview, of course Mia29 if you want to add things, feel free :)

"Gabriella Papadakis, ice dancing world champion, victim of a fall on her head during practice in the end of August, suffers cerebral dysfunction that delay her season debut. Victim of a concussion, Guillaume Cizeron's partner said she started a work with a neurologist to "rehabilitate" her brain.

The pair should be starting their season the soonest in the TEB in Bordeaux.

Q: How do you feel ?
A: I feel better, a lot better, but I'm still quite weak. I'm tired quickly, and when I'm tired, my symptoms come back: loss of balance, memory and focusing problems.

Q: Did you immediatly realized the consequences of this fall?
A: After falling, I stepped out the ice, and half an hour later, I said "Fine, I'm a bit tired, but I can skate again." My coaches answered "You fell on your head, you go back home." During the day, I was really tired. I went out to buy food, and I realized I wasn't fine at all. It went worse with the days. It's only 3 days later that I said myself I had to go to the hospital.

Q: What was the diagnosis ?
A: Quite a few functions of my brain where damaged. I have to do a brain "rehabilitation". It's quite an uncouscious work. During the sessions, I have the feeling of doing nothing, of staying in front of a TV during an hour. In fact, it's extremely demanding, I get up hardly and I have to wait 20 minutes to be able to walk. I feel like a vegetable during hours later. It's very demanding, the brain works tremendously.

Q: What did you do the days following the fall ?
A: During two weeks and a half, I did absolutely nothing. Nothing! Really nothing! I didn't know it was actually possible to do nothing like this. I live alone, I was supposed not to read, not to watch any screen. I still tried to read a book, but I wasn't able at all. Sometimes I opened the computer, to spend time, but after 5 minutes, I felt like I had burnt my eyes. I slept, I took 3 hours baths, I moved from my table to the couch, from the couch to my bed, from the bed to the table. And that's it...

Q: And then you returned to training half-September.
A: One of my symptoms was anxiousness. The idea of skating scared me, I was sure I wouldn't be able to be back on ice. On the ice, it went way well than I expected. It removed the psychological aspect of the thing.

Q: Did your behaviour changed ?
A: I'm usually a calm person, and I became emotional. I cried for nothing, was easily irritated. For example, taking a phone, and earing noise in my ear was very irritating, I was insulting everybody ! I had a slight feeling of depression, but with no reason or fear. Strong emotions, but with no foundation. It was weird, I had never experienced this. It comes back when I'm tired. An extreme sadness feeling but with no reason.

Q: Are you worried for the big dates of the season (EC, WC)?
A:Of course, a part of me is scared that my symptoms stay longer, and that the delay in our preparation will be hard to catch back. But I stay positive, this year is not an Olympic one, and we have time. We were supposed to begin the season in the French Masters, but we decided it was better to take time to heal than force things. It's not easy to start in a Grand Prix (TEB). It's very complicated, but actually we have no choice."

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I translated the interview, of course Mia29 if you want to add things, feel free :)

"Gabriella Papadakis, ice dancing world champion, victim of a fall on her head during practice in the end of August, suffers cerebral dysfunction that delay her season debut. Victim of a concussion, Guillaume Cizeron's partner said she started a work with a neurologist to "rehabilitate" her brain.

The pair should be starting their season the soonest in the TEB in Bordeaux.

Q: How do you feel ?
A: I feel better, a lot better, but I'm still quite weak. I'm tired quickly, and when I'm tired, my symptoms come back: loss of balance, memory and focusing problems.

Q: Did you immediatly realized the consequences of this fall?
A: After falling, I stepped out the ice, and half an hour later, I said "Fine, I'm a bit tired, but I can skate again." My coaches answered "You fell on your head, you go back home." During the day, I was really tired. I went out to buy food, and I realized I wasn't fine at all. It went worse with the days. It's only 3 days later that I said myself I had to go to the hospital.

Q: What was the diagnosis ?
A: Quite a few functions of my brain where damaged. I have to do a brain "rehabilitation". It's quite an uncouscious work. During the sessions, I have the feeling of doing nothing, of staying in front of a TV during an hour. In fact, it's extremely demanding, I get up hardly and I have to wait 20 minutes to be able to walk. I feel like a vegetable during hours later. It's very demanding, the brain works tremendously.

Q: What did you do the days following the fall ?
A: During two weeks and a half, I did absolutely nothing. Nothing! Really nothing! I didn't know it was actually possible to do nothing like this. I live alone, I was supposed not to read, not to watch any screen. I still tried to read a book, but I wasn't able at all. Sometimes I opened the computer, to spend time, but after 5 minutes, I felt like I had burnt my eyes. I slept, I took 3 hours baths, I moved from my table to the couch, from the couch to my bed, from the bed to the table. And that's it...

Q: And then you returned to training half-September.
A: One of my symptoms was anxiousness. The idea of skating scared me, I was sure I wouldn't be able to be back on ice. On the ice, it went way well than I expected. It removed the psychological aspect of the thing.

Q: Did your behaviour changed ?
A: I'm usually a calm person, and I became emotional. I cried for nothing, was easily irritated. For example, taking a phone, and earing noise in my ear was very irritating, I was insulting everybody ! I had a slight feeling of depression, but with no reason or fear. Strong emotions, but with no foundation. It was weird, I had never experienced this. It comes back when I'm tired. An extreme sadness feeling but with no reason.

Q: Are you worried for the big dates of the season (EC, WC)?
A:Of course, a part of me is scared that my symptoms stay longer, and that the delay in our preparation will be hard to catch back. But I stay positive, this year is not an Olympic one, and we have time. We were supposed to begin the season in the French Masters, but we decided it was better to take time to heal than force things. It's not easy to start in a Grand Prix (TEB). It's very complicated, but actually we have no choice."

Thank you very much for translation, Pika-Alva! I also think it's better the skip the French masters if that could cause a problems for Gabi later. I hope she will feel totally fine for TEB :)

hamaguri

Record Breaker
ooh, thanks for detailed interview! poor Gabi.. if only there were anything i could be a help... still she's positive. i love her. anyway i just pray for her.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That's a serious concussion. Emotional as well as physical symptoms indicates just how serious. The good news, however, is that the brain can be ingenious at rebuilding itself (I know this from personal experience--an uncle had a stroke, and he had to relearn to walk and to talk again, which he did). I wish her well. Thank you for translating the article.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am very sorry to hear she hasn't been/is still not well. I hope she will be up to participating at TEB :thumbsup:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
:-( I am worried about Gabi, but so glad they are taking time. I hope they will take even longer if necessary. Wishing her well. Thanks for the translation, Pika-Alva.

Pika

Final Flight
You're welcome everybody. I was worried reading this interview. But it's a good thing that she's able to stay positive. Good mental has been proven to be an advantage in the healing process, as youth is. I wonder if they asked other medical opinions, as France have some great neurologist with world reputation, often called for sport accidents. Anyway, they seem take it very seriously, and she's not minimizing the problem, which is a good thing.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
This all continues to sound very scary and serious to me. I genuinely hope she is not pushing it/overtraining and that she will be okay.

Yes, I am worried that, if she still is undergoing such difficult therapy, the GPs are too close and pressured an aim. However, one has to presume that they and their team have been advised well.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yes, I am worried that, if she still is undergoing such difficult therapy, the GPs are too close and pressured an aim. However, one has to presume that they and their team have been advised well.

That is what I am hoping too, that they are working closely with very good doctors and taking their advice. I know they don't want to miss the GP (I don't want them to miss it either) but she is going to need her brain for her whole life, and it is not like these GP's are the Olympics. I really just pray she is not pushing it and that all will be well.

Pika

Final Flight
She said that they were not taking to much pressure, because it's not an Olympic season. The GPs can be just a date, maybe to motivate her, as the treatment seems to be demanding, not necessarily to push her too hard too soon, but just to help to brace herself, it can be encouraging to have a short-term plan, even it it might be changed. And also to say "don't count us out too fast" maybe.