Brian Joubert to compete in Pairs with Katrina Gerboldt for Russia | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert to compete in Pairs with Katrina Gerboldt for Russia

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Is anyone else worried about the fact that most pairs skaters have strong skating skills and musicality and Joubert doesn't? Anytime he has done well it has been because he out-jumped the competition, which he can't in pairs.

Amei

Record Breaker
It seem the team "We can't stop competing" is becoming true...:biggrin:

Maybe he should have teamed up with Aliona instead of Bruno. As long as the skaters are willing to put in the hours to train and are willing to sacrifice their bodies, rock on...

I think it would be cool to see a skater be a successful singles skater then later move over to pairs and be successful, though trying to compete in Russia vs. France seems like a strange decision. France has very few pairs (2014 Nationals - only 1 team competed and 2013 the number was 2) and Russia is incredibly deep.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Is anyone else worried about the fact that most pairs skaters have strong skating skills and musicality and Joubert doesn't? Anytime he has done well it has been because he out-jumped the competition, which he can't in pairs.
I am worried that people don't understand the difference between facts and opinions. What you wrote are opinions, not facts.

My opinion is that pairs skaters vary in their skating skills, musicality and range as performers, just like singles skaters. Joubert is not Patrick Chan or Takahiko Kozuka in terms of skating skills, but he is hardly a novice-level skater in this regard. His international results cannot be attributed solely to jumping; there are many skaters who can jump and whose record does not match up well with Joubert's. I know that many people love to diminish what Joubert has achieved and portray him as someone who can only jump and cares about nothing else, but this is simply not true. He has at times challenged himself in terms of musical choices (e.g. Aranjuez, Beethoven's 9th) and is now challenging himself to become a pairs skater. This does not necessarily mean that he is aiming for the top of the podium, only that he wants to be meet whatever goals he and Gerboldt have set themselves.

LRK

Record Breaker
When I first saw the thread title: Wow!

Then, almost automatically: Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!

(I'm a Brian fan okay? ;) )

Then when I read the news... I'm not sure if choosing Russia is the best option. Euros/Worlds can have a total of three slots - if they are earned - and France does not, even if we count Savchenko/Massot as potentially French, have three pairs (as far as I know?). So, there would be a better opening for them there, I would have thought...

Anyway, reading the interview kindly linked by mermaid, it seems that he is very aware that it won't be easy, and that it will take a lot of hard work, and it does not seem that he is nurturing particular "delusions of grandeur". Why not try? If he fails, he fails. Should one never try anything just because of the fear of failure and "what people will say?"

Good luck in becoming a "greenhouse" Brian. :) (Google translate can truly be hilarious sometimes... )

Alain

Match Penalty
Well, lovely news indeed. No one should underappreciate the beauty. Have no idea if they will ever hit any podium but no doubt they will be invited in shows. The most handsome French skater with the Russian blonde, you know. :)

BusyMom

Medalist
Well, lovely news indeed. No one should underappreciate the beauty. Have no idea if they will ever hit any podium but no doubt they will be invited in shows. The most handsome French skater with the Russian blonde, you know. :)
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Cliché much, sure, but it's so true in FS. For example, I hate his see-through shirt this year but many thought it was hot. :laugh: For sure he is sure one of the beauty of Men Skating.

But please no more mentioning blond Russian beauty unless you want to enter the twilight zone. :biggrin:

(I'm a Brian fan okay? ;) )

Then when I read the news... I'm not sure if choosing Russia is the best option. Euros/Worlds can have a total of three slots - if they are earned - and France does not, even if we count Savchenko/Massot as potentially French, have three pairs (as far as I know?). So, there would be a better opening for them there, I would have thought...

Anyway, reading the interview kindly linked by mermaid, it seems that he is very aware that it won't be easy, and that it will take a lot of hard work, and it does not seem that he is nurturing particular "delusions of grandeur". Why not try? If he fails, he fails. Should one never try anything just because of the fear of failure and "what people will say?"

Good luck in becoming a "greenhouse" Brian. :) (Google translate can truly be hilarious sometimes... )
Love him too. I guess his last years fiesco with French federation is the main reason he chose to switch. Anyway he will be the great addition to the current competitors which is so less in numbers every years. Failures have so different meaning according to their goals. If he does his best, gets new experiences and enjoys the great time in a process, that spell success enough in my book.

alebi

Medalist
I haven't slept well last two days... I need to take a coffee and read again this news

aschiutza

On the Ice
I love how Plushenko's decision to stay in the game so long and the successful team split-reform from Trankov-Volosozhar changes the mentality of the skaters!

I really really hope that ISU will come with serious pro-championships, for all the skaters who still needs the adrenaline and the challange of competitions.

I wish good luck to the new pair!

YLFan

Match Penalty
Better coaching, lower taxes, etc.

If they competed for France there would be immense pressure to be at at Euros, Worlds, etc. In Russia there is competition and would only get to these if they were really good enough.

Alain

Match Penalty
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Cliché much, sure, but it's so true in FS. For example, I hate his see-through shirt this year but many thought it was hot. :laugh: For sure he is sure one of the beauty of Men Skating.

But please no more mentioning blond Russian beauty unless you want to enter the twilight zone. :biggrin:
I don't know why mentioning blond Russian beauty should take me to the twilight zone. I am simply saying that both Katarina and Brian are very handsome people and I wish them all the best. Looking forward to seeing them on the ice.

lost3iron

More Rock & Roll please!
On the Ice
While I usually just read comments in the forum I just wanted to wish good luck to brian, aliona and evgeni. Who are we to decide when it is ok for them to stop.
They are giving hope to all those 30 something stuck in a rut people to review their life as well....:laugh:
( I didn't take these news personally at all) :biggrin:

BusyMom

Medalist
I don't know why mentioning blond Russian beauty should take me to the twilight zone. I am simply saying that both Katarina and Brian are very handsome people and I wish them all the best. Looking forward to seeing them on the ice.
Oh sorry. It is an inside joke around here. :laugh: No worry if you didn't get it. Nothing to do with any skaters actually but some obsessions with the blond beauty.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I have to agree that this post season has been VERY weird....as well as entertaining.
I know this is a sport but this off season has been like a really whacky reality tv show....very entertaining....now i need that
Popcorn eating smiley :biggrin:

:popcorn:

There we go.