Can skaters use music like hip-hop? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Can skaters use music like hip-hop?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Would NBC be allowed to air the programs that use licensed music, though? Or would they have to pay the record companies in order to do so?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Would NBC be allowed to air the programs that use licensed music, though? Or would they have to pay the record companies in order to do so?

Since NBC airs programs for commercial purposes, it needs permission or a license any time it broadcasts more than a short snippet of a musical recording, even if the composer is already dead, because the recording artist also has copyright in the recording. Basically, it doesn't matter if it's hip hop or Beethoven - it depends on whether the recording is still under copyright & who holds the rights.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Uh as much as I love the raunchiness of that song, there's no way anyone would skate to My Neck, My Back... Even in an exhibition. You'd have to cover the flower girls' ears. :laugh:

I could picture someone who's a showman like Amodio or Balde trying hip hop. But the issue is hip hop is fast lyrics and difficult to interpret. A lot of figure skating moves don't fit the tone of hip hop and certainly a lot of hip hop songs are either too serious in subject matter or too self-indulgent or too explicit (even the radio friendly versions).

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Children, children, hip hop did not start in the 2000s:laugh: This is, in fact, *the* original hip hop, old school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SrdT_ghusY

can't touch this!

Hip Hop actually starts in the late 1960s, first in the south Bronx and a little bit later in one of the housing projects in Manhattan (not too far from where I live actually--there is one of those blue historical plaques in the park on Amsterdam Avenue commemorating it as one of the birth places of hip hop). MC Hammer was considered a major sellout by a lot of hardcore old school hip hoppers, pretty much on the level of Vanilla Ice.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hip Hop actually starts in the late 1960s, first in the south Bronx and a little bit later in one of the housing projects in Manhattan (not too far from where I live actually--there is one of those blue historical plaques in the park on Amsterdam Avenue commemorating it as one of the birth places of hip hop). MC Hammer was considered a major sellout by a lot of hardcore old school hip hoppers, pretty much on the level of Vanilla Ice.

Poor old Hammer! Growing up in Philadelphia in the 60s and 70s, with so many discussions about who was keeping it real, and who was selling out: it all made me way too tired! Now, I would much rather see some old school Philly soul than hip hop on the ice, but that was not the question...:slink:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Holy moly, that's not far from my 'hood, either. I know the park -- what cross street?