So Youn Park -- The next queen of figure skating? | Golden Skate

So Youn Park -- The next queen of figure skating?

Aszx5527

Spectator
I've been following all the top skaters that I've lost track of new talent! I just watched So Youn Park of Korea, and I was so impressed by everything! Her jumps are graceful and high and she has beautiful arms! No wrong edges at all! In addition, she has gone through most of puberty.

I would argue she is much better than all the Russian babies (Lipnitskaia, Adelina). Watch this video and be prepared to be amazed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmzX2zlj-L0 British Eurosport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJt-kQVNDa4 CBC

She received a 55 for PCS, but should have received a 65 instead.

It also helps she is amazingly gorgeous.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
I really like her, she is so graceful and has a lot of potential. However, she has some things to work on before she can compete with Yulia.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her Worlds were great(loved keeping the slay count going during the live broadcast) but her Olympics was kind of a mess. I actually wondered at one point if her skates needed sharpened. Lets not put pressure on her to soon. I think the Korean pressure was a huge drain on Yuna. Let her develop and hopefully add some of her own flavor. To me she skates a little too similar to Yuna. Only time will tell but I will root for her. That's for sure.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think she has great potential as a skater. I'm excited to see how far she'll be going in the next few years.

desertskates

Medalist
I love this girl! I really hope she stays free of injury so we can have the pleasure of watching her compete for a handful of years :)

Aszx5527

Spectator
Her Worlds were great(loved keeping the slay count going during the live broadcast) but her Olympics was kind of a mess. I actually wondered at one point if her skates needed sharpened. Lets not put pressure on her to soon. I think the Korean pressure was a huge drain on Yuna. Let her develop and hopefully add some of her own flavor. To me she skates a little too similar to Yuna. Only time will tell but I will root for her. That's for sure.

I agree she skates a little similar to Yuna, particularly when it comes to her layback spin. However, I prefer her spins/spirals over Yuna's. I do think her jumps are first rate. I hope she stays consistent. If she does, she will definitely be on top. In regards to artistry, I really can't find a flaw.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I do really like her but I want to watch her compete for a full season first, she looks like she has sound technique and I like her enthusiasm in her skating but a lot can happen in the next few years. She's got lots of potential for 2018 but I think she needs to work a few things, one of the obvious being her extension, it's just like Yuna's, needs to point her toes. I wouldn't say she's better than the Russian girls, Adelina and Yulia have better spins and Adelina has big jumps. Time will tell.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
She has potential. If she can consistently skate like this, there's not much to pick at in terms of her elements. My only issue is: I don't feel like she captured the variances in the music in this particular performance. The faster tempo in the beginning, and the slower tempo in the middle, were skated about the same way.

Best wishes to her next season, but it's too early to tell. I hope Korea doesn't put too much pressure on her. I'd love it if Korea became a mainstay in FS, at least for the women's discipline.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. She did well at worlds and has great potential, not to mention plenty of backing from the Korean skating feds, but a little less pressure so she can develop into a great athlete!

Also, would this thread be better in the Fan Fests section?

jace93

On the Ice
And what would you say those things are are?

Consistency for sure... it's seem impossible that the So yun that skated at the Olympics is the same girl that skated at worlds and not her doppelganger...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And what would you say those things are are?

Not getting -GOE on spins would help. That happened at Sochi and at WC's. little things like that can hurt your PCS too. Her transitions from slow ...like in Swan...too difficult and ultimately into quick jumps have caused her some trouble. She kind of stalks her lutz too but so many do that it's probably moot although it may in fact be the root of her 3lz-2t fail in the SP at WC. Her SP starts off slow and when she goes into her jumps she has issues. Single Salchow in Sochi and she blew her 3lz-2t at Worlds I think due to her speed and transition from the slow beginning into difficult jump passes. Really she just needs consistency and probably more importantly experience. I only say this because you ask as if she had none.

Rinchan

Rinkside
I think you got it wrong.
So Youn's layout for her SP is 3S-3T, 3Lz, 2A. During the Olympics she opted for the 3Lz-2T because she singled her salchow, preventing her from completing the planned combination. At worlds she didn't blow her combination, she did a gorgeous 3S-3T... she just had a step out on the lutz ;)

Barb

Record Breaker
she is great, but she needs her own style, difficult because I know Yuna is helping to train her. In reality is not a bad thing, but it would be better to has her style well defined.

cooper

Medalist
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. She did well at worlds and has great potential, not to mention plenty of backing from the Korean skating feds, but a little less pressure so she can develop into a great athlete!

Also, would this thread be better in the Fan Fests section?

heh.. i chuckled a bit.. :laugh: ksu doesn't care about figure skating.. they don't care when yuna became a star back then..and i don't see them doing anything at this point.. they're too busy salvaging to keep their jobs and focusing more on their speed skating and short track..

what so youn needs is consistency.. of course she needs to work more on her skating skill.. she needs to built her own reputation.. that's the only way i can see her compete with the best in the world..

GF2445

Record Breaker
I really liked her skating.
I'm sure that the judges have their eyes on her and will keep her in mind when they judge. She needs to have a good GP season to show that she can keep it up. GPF might be a stretch but a podium placement in at least one of her GP events will do very nicely.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
heh.. i chuckled a bit.. :laugh: ksu doesn't care about figure skating.. they don't care when yuna became a star back then..and i don't see them doing anything at this point.. they're too busy salvaging to keep their jobs and focusing more on their speed skating and short track..

*cougheveryonewassurprisedwhentheyvotedtokeepanonymousjudgingcough*

She has potential. If she can consistently skate like this, there's not much to pick at in terms of her elements. My only issue is: I don't feel like she captured the variances in the music in this particular performance. The faster tempo in the beginning, and the slower tempo in the middle, were skated about the same way.

Best wishes to her next season, but it's too early to tell. I hope Korea doesn't put too much pressure on her. I'd love it if Korea became a mainstay in FS, at least for the women's discipline.

She's only 16. Plenty of time to develop. She skates with better musicality than the current top two U.S. ladies (Gracie and Ashley) did at her age, IMO.

chalk5

Match Penalty
I hear that she is training in United States and we can assume that Yuna is helping her. But do you guys actually know who her official coach is?