France will not release Massot | Golden Skate

France will not release Massot

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I'm not surprised. I kind of assumed they would skate for France because of Steuer, but I'd also see why they'd want to represent Germany - the French federation's run by idiots.

Overall though, it wouldn't be surprising if Germany wouldn't let Aliona go either. She's one of the top ranked ladies in pairs, and in a time where Germany doesn't really have any other discipline (barring Zhiganshina/Gaszi in dance, and they don't win big events either), it would make sense for them to want to hold onto her.

But both countries cannot block them from skating together forever. Let's see how this plays out :popcorn:

Amei

Record Breaker
Overall though, it wouldn't be surprising if Germany wouldn't let Aliona go either.

What happens if Germany doesn't release Aliona. Is there some appeals process that Aliona or Massot could go to with the ISU to force the French/Germans to release them?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
All the talk about a country "releasing" someone is so ridiculous. They have no power whatsoever to do so. The only person who can actually stop someone from skating is the competition organizer, by refusing to let the skater in the building.

aims

Rinkside
Can't read French:no:What are the reasons for the non-release??

As for "The only person who can actually stop someone from skating is the competition organizer, by refusing to let the skater in the building. "
Sure they can enter the building. But they won't be able to skate unless they're registered as competitors for the event. And FEDERATIONs register them, not individual skaters themselves.

It'll be such a shame if red tape prevents them from competing...

Mattieu

Medalist
All the talk about a country "releasing" someone is so ridiculous. They have no power whatsoever to do so. The only person who can actually stop someone from skating is the competition organizer, by refusing to let the skater in the building.

When a skater arrives at an ISU competition, he has to register for the competition.
He has to show his passport.
If he is skating for a country which is different to his passport, then he will also have to show an ISU Clearance form showing he has been authorized to skate for that country or the competition organizers will not allow him to skate.

I know of at least 2 examples where ice dancers didn't know they needed an ISU Clearance form, and the organizers refused to let them skate, which was heartbreaking when they had travelled hundreds of miles to the competition.

So all this talk about "releasing" someone isn't ridiculous if you want to skate in ISU competitions.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
So all this talk about "releasing" someone isn't ridiculous if you want to skate in ISU competitions.

It is, because it is unlawful. No country has the right to tell someone they are not allowed to skate for another country. The only thing that matters is if the other country will take the skater or not. People are not property.

All the talk of "releasing" the skater or not is just huff and puff. Take it to court and you will see.

The competition organizers decide to invite someone or not. For Worlds, that invitation is decided by the individual countries themselves. If Germany wants Massot+Savchenko to represent them, and the skaters agree, then that is how it will be. The only legal rule to stop them is the "waiting 1 year inbetween competitions if you change countries" rule.

Mattieu

Medalist
The competition organizers decide to invite someone or not. For Worlds, that invitation is decided by the individual countries themselves. If Germany wants Massot+Savchenko to represent them, and the skaters agree, then that is how it will be. The only legal rule to stop them is the "waiting 1 year inbetween competitions if you change countries" rule.

The legal rule 109 will stop them,

Rule 109 2c states :-

However, if such partner has already represented another Member, regardless of the discipline,
the permit from the Member the Skater represented is required and the waiting period 12 months from the day of the last competition in which the Skater represented another Member applies;

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
If I remember correctly Aliona said she once changed her nationality and don't want to do that anymore. I don't remember where I read that. Am I right?

Edit:
This:
At press time, the question still was open for which country team will represent. Germany or France? Both prefer to compete for their respective country.
“I would (like to continue for Germany) since I’ve changed (countries) already once,” explained Ukrainian-born Savchenko. “It would be a shame [as] there are many fans (in Germany).”
“If I have the possibility to continue representing France, I would prefer to skate for France,” said Massot, “but I see that we have very good practice conditions (in Germany) and the chance to go to the Olympic Games and win medals.”

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^That would double their problems, since it'll require a release from both Germany and France.

Amei

Record Breaker
they should skate for Ukraine

Like Sandpiper said - then 2 countries would have release them... But maybe the issue is France doesn't want them skating for Germany? (I don't read French so I have no clue what the article says).

And from what I see on the news and have read on the forum - Ukraine is a mess right now, would the Ukrainian Fed. really be able to offer them enough?