2014 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Saw men and pairs. Murakami has a lovely salchow, triple and quad. Max did land quads but they looked a bit rough. It looks like he's trying to improve his artistry but I will reserve judgement. Hate the hair. Ross looks prepared and fit but still a little bit rough. Jordan has a lovely program (Chopin?) although there is a windmill motion in the middle that needs to go. Doug mostly marked his program - seems to have come into his own as a classic romantic skater. Rogozine landed some 3axel/3toes, and tried a quad later in the session - not ready for competition. Ronald Lam tried several quads - didn't see him land any and didn't get them around (at least the ones I saw)

Pairs Jones and Reagan looked better than I expected - good jumps, nice throw. His arm doesn't look straight when he lifts her - probably just his arm. Split twist is their weakness at the moment. Calalang/Sidhu - lovely death spiral and good second lift. Jumps are a weakness. Aaron/Settlage looked prepared. worked on a throw 3flip(?) several times and finally got a couple of good ones in. Scimeca/Knierim class of the field - started shaky but gained strength throughout the session. Some good sbs salchows, although not in the run through and the throw took a bit of time to come together.

Everyone looks like it's the first of the season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I would like to add my thanks to Doris for the updated entry list. I decided last week to attend the competition and drove from the Olympic Peninsula to pick up my brother in southern Idaho. We arrived this afternoon and attended the practices this evening. I missed the first flight of men but got to see the second. I'm not sure if Max was as strong as his music but he looked good. All the U.S. men looked pretty good in their run throughs. Razzano had problems with a couple of jumps at the start of his run through but after a pause in the middle he finished strong. It was the first time I have seen Jordan Moeller and I was very impressed with his smoothness and musicality.

It is too bad that there are only 5 pairs here. I enjoyed the ones that are here. I was impressed with how polished the run throughs for the 3 USA pairs seemed this early in the season. Aaron and Settlage seemed to really have their program down and skated the practice well. I was not paying attention so I don't know if they did their long or their short. I haven't been following programs this season--does anyone know if both their programs are new or are they repeating one from last year? Even with just the five pairs I am looking forward to seeing their programs in competition.

Wow, thanks for the great report, PaulE. :bow:

Re Aaron/Settlage:
Both their programs are new this season. (See http://www.goldenskate.com/2014/07/madeline-aaron-max-settlage/)
They practiced their SP today, according to @LynnRutherford's tweet.
Pairs practice: @MaddieAaron25 @Max_Settlage "Coppelia" - nice lateral 3twist & the choreo really shows off her ballet ability. #SLC2014
7:28 PM - 10 Sep 2014
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/509891300049424384

Go Maddie and Max! :yay:

Thanks to you, too, AHB, for your report. :bow:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Saw men and pairs. Murakami has a lovely salchow, triple and quad. Max did land quads but they looked a bit rough. It looks like he's trying to improve his artistry but I will reserve judgement. Hate the hair. Ross looks prepared and fit but still a little bit rough. Jordan has a lovely program (Chopin?) although there is a windmill motion in the middle that needs to go. Doug mostly marked his program - seems to have come into his own as a classic romantic skater. Rogozine landed some 3axel/3toes, and tried a quad later in the session - not ready for competition. Ronald Lam tried several quads - didn't see him land any and didn't get them around (at least the ones I saw)

Pairs Jones and Reagan looked better than I expected - good jumps, nice throw. His arm doesn't look straight when he lifts her - probably just his arm. Split twist is their weakness at the moment. Calalang/Sidhu - lovely death spiral and good second lift. Jumps are a weakness. Aaron/Settlage looked prepared. worked on a throw 3flip(?) several times and finally got a couple of good ones in. Scimeca/Knierim class of the field - started shaky but gained strength throughout the session. Some good sbs salchows, although not in the run through and the throw took a bit of time to come together.

Everyone looks like it's the first of the season.

You're in SLC? Cool! Thanks for the update! What's with Max Aaron's hair?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re Max Aaron's hair :), see this photo from yesterday:
Unlike last season, it does not seem to be trimmed shorter on the sides.
Long-ish curls, which I like just fine. :yes:
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/509881664965586945 (Sep 10)​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Senior Pairs Short Program (Start time: Sep 11, 7:20 PM Mountain Daylight Time)

Start order below is from the Results page:

1 Marin ONO / Hon Lam TO, HKG
2 Brittany JONES / Joshua REAGAN, CAN
3 Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE, USA
4 Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM, USA
5 Jessica CALALANG / Zack SIDHU, USA​

Senior Men Short Program (Start time: Sep 11, 8:25 PM Mountain Daylight Time)

Start order below is from the Results page:

1 Ross MINER, USA
2 Maverick EGUIA, PHI
3 Bela PAPP, FIN
4 Andrei ROGOZINE, CAN
5 Jordan MOELLER, USA
6 Douglas RAZZANO, USA
7 Balam LABARRIOS, MEX
8 Ronald LAM, HKG
9 Max AARON, USA
10 Daisuke MURAKAMI, JPN​

U.S.-centric preview of today's events, from USFS:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
12:25pm Australian time. Some skating with my lunch? I think so. :yes:

Max with my lunch? Not likely. :no:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hurtado/Diaz have withdrawn from SLC.

The Senior SD start order:

Start time: Sep 12 (Friday), 3:50 PM Mountain Daylight Time

1 Pilar MAEKAWA MORENO / Leonardo MAEKAWA MORENO, MEX
2 Tatiana KOZMAVA / Aleksandr ZOLOTAREV, GEO
3 Nicole ORFORD / Thomas WILLIAMS, CAN
4 Anastasia CANNUSCIO / Colin MCMANUS, USA
5 Marieve CYR / Benjamin BRISEBOIS GAUDREAU, CAN
6 Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON, USA​

samson

Medalist
Sounds like ladies practices is happening. Mirai and Polina are in the same group. Both Lynn Rutherford and Jennifer Comeaux are live tweeting. And I just bought my Icenetwork Season Pass!!! :popcorn:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Photo of Mirai Nagasu at SLC practice with Tom Z:
http://instagram.com/p/s0q4jam3x8/ (Sep 11 from @usfigureskating)​

Go, Mirai! :yay:

BTW, for anyone who does not know:

See @LadyWave4 for Jennifer Comeaux's tweets.

USFS, Rutherford, and Comeaux (and others) are tweeting with #SLC2014.​

samson

Medalist
there's a feed on icenetwork up now showing senior men practicing for anyone interested!

samson

Medalist
Max just hit a quad sal/ triple toe. Had some really energetic, expresses movements after. Guessing they're form the sp.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Well I hope that the men bring it more than the pairs did tonight. That was a very lackluster event

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max just hit a quad sal/ triple toe. Had some really energetic, expresses movements after. Guessing they're form the sp.

Go, Max! :yay: (And thx for posting the report, samson.)

ETA, lots about Max is in one of Lynn Rutherford's articles today:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Senior Pairs SP protocols:

Placements happen to be the exact reverse of the start order:

1 Jessica CALALANG / Zack SIDHU, USA 51.92
2 Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM, USA 49.00
3 Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE, USA 48.16
4 Brittany JONES / Joshua REAGAN, CAN 42.94
5 Marin ONO / Hon Lam TO, HKG 28.14​

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
Not a good performance by Ross Miner. Anyone have any theories on why he can't seem to bring it in competition anymore? So sad, i love his skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not a good performance by Ross Miner. Anyone have any theories on why he can't seem to bring it in competition anymore? So sad, i love his skating.

Ah, it's early in the season. I wouldn't read too much into it. He did seem kind of nervous.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I never start worrying about anything til late October.

Hi folks! Lunch is down the hatch and I'm loading up icenetwork and hola. Just in time for Jordan!