Anniversary of the moon landing | Golden Skate

Anniversary of the moon landing

Today (July 21) is the 45th anniversary of the Apollo 11 manned flight to the moon. Astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Adrin were the first people from earth to walk on the moon's surface.

The last people to do so were Gene Cernan and Jack Schmitt in December of 1972. We never went back. We never went anywhere else. Kind of sad, when you think about it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Today (July 21) is the 45th anniversary of the Apollo 11 manned flight to the moon. Astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Adrin were the first people from earth to walk on the moon's surface.

The last people to do so were Gene Cernan and Jack Schmitt in December of 1972. We never went back. We never went anywhere else. Kind of sad, when you think about it.

Minor detail/correction:
July 20 (yesterday) was the anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing and of Armstrong and Aldrin's first steps on the surface of the moon.

The spacecraft landed in the Sea of Tranquillity at 4:18 p.m. EDT. Afterwards, they ate their first meal on the Moon and decided to begin the surface operations earlier than planned.
A Lunar Module camera provided live television coverage of Armstrong setting foot on the lunar surface at 10:56 p.m. EDT. Just as he stepped off the Lunar Module Neil Armstrong proclaimed, "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." Aldrin emerged soon after, setting foot on the lunar surface at 11:16 p.m. EDT.

But I do not mean to diminish these accomplishments or the anniversary. Thanks for starting the thread, MM. :)

Happy anniversary, everyone! I also regret that we're not exploring space as much anymore. There's so much possibility in it.

Does anyone remember the episode of West Wing where it was announced that Voyager I, the spacecraft with all the music, had left the solar system? Bradley Whitford as Josh Lyman had a little speech about the event, in which he pointed out that one song on the recording was a blues number sung by Blind Willie Johnson. As Lymond pointed out, Johnson ended his life in poverty so dire that he slept in a bed in a burned-out home, covered with damp newspapers. He got sick from this exposure and died from lack of medical care. And yet his voice had crossed into interstellar space. As you see, I've never forgotten this scene from the show. To me it embodies the spirit of looking to the future and transcending the limitations of today and yesterday that manned and unmanned space exploration gives us.

And here's a part of the scene on YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s92lsTMcZQ

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

"The last people to do so were Gene Cernan and Jack Schmitt in December of 1972. We never went back. We never went anywhere else. Kind of sad, when you think about it."

:clap:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is also Rachel Flatt's B-day!! :hb:

My thoughts on space exploration are simple. I think it is something that could serve to unite the planet and all of us as common people with common goals while breaking down barriers and spurring cooperation. A reality ever present but often overlooked. If even for no other reason that would be enough for me. I really wish people like Neil Tyson Degrasse could be leaders of our countries instead of lawyers and politicians. People who inspire hope and do so thru reasonable thought with the ultimate goal a stronger and wiser civilization. That is the hope and change I crave.

http://youtu.be/9D05ej8u-gU

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Happy birthday to Rachael! :party2:

My one regret is that commercial space travel will never be a reality in my lifetime. If it were, I'd be @ the front of the ticket line. As for the rest, I can't begin to add to S-S's post except to say a loud "Amen!" :bow: :clap: