Ina Bauer move | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ina Bauer move

vlaurend

Final Flight
The skater does not have to be at all flexible in the back to do an Ina Bauer in an upright position.

It is necessary to have good turnout in the hips, although not quite as much as required for an outside spread eagle.

Exactly. What I feel is being lost in this thread is the fact that a good Ina Bauer is not defined by the back bend; that's just a feature that a skater can add for extra effect. The main focus of the Ina Bauer should be the quality of edge a skater can achieve while keeping the back leg straight. As far as outside Ina Bauers go, it's not too hard to do one on a slight outside curve, but it requires *extraordinary* turnout in the hips--and a certain amount of strength--to do one that draws a half circle on the ice, especially without slowing down or scraping. This is why I am the most awed by Yuzuru Hanyu's Ina Bauer and also why I am impressed with Rachel Flatt's (I saw hers live just the other day in an ice show).

anyanka

Record Breaker
Exactly. What I feel is being lost in this thread is the fact that a good Ina Bauer is not defined by the back bend; that's just a feature that a skater can add for extra effect. The main focus of the Ina Bauer should be the quality of edge a skater can achieve while keeping the back leg straight. As far as outside Ina Bauers go, it's not too hard to do one on a slight outside curve, but it requires *extraordinary* turnout in the hips--and a certain amount of strength--to do one that draws a half circle on the ice, especially without slowing down or scraping. This is why I am the most awed by Yuzuru Hanyu's Ina Bauer and also why I am impressed with Rachel Flatt's (I saw hers live just the other day in an ice show).

Excellent points, but perhaps what's popularized it the way Shizuka has is the back bend itself. For some casual fans it's not immediately obvious that the edge and the back leg are the base, not the yoga-esque deep dive. :)

vlaurend

Final Flight
Excellent points, but perhaps what's popularized it the way Shizuka has is the back bend itself. For some casual fans it's not immediately obvious that the edge and the back leg are the base, not the yoga-esque deep dive. :)

Yes, I agree that it was Shizuka's insane back bend on that move that drew attention to it and got casual fans talking about it!

MiRé

Match Penalty
I love Ina Bauers!!!! My favorite is definitely Shizuka's, and then Yuna. Shizuka's is really gorgeous while Yuna's is more technical, but still beautiful. I still remember Yuna doing 2A-3T right after an ina bauer. Has Shizuka done any jump combos after her ina bauer?

Imagine

Medalist
^she did a 3 jump combo at Torino. Why does everything she do look so effortless?

^she did a 3 jump combo at Torino. Why does everything she do look so effortless?

You're talking about Shizuka, right? I think it is because she has such strong basic skating skills. Everything is from the ground up and the core outward.

slider11

Medalist
Mirai holds her - that's what makes it special. I'm not a fan of the quick bend and then into a jump or whatever. Doesn't give the move its true props.

You're talking about Shizuka, right? I think it is because she has such strong basic skating skills. Everything is from the ground up and the core outward.

Always Shizuka for me when it comes to Ina Bauers. While the deep backbend is not a requirement for the Ina Bauer, Shizuka's is part of the totality of her beautiful skating. For that reason, I find her OGM win one of the most satisfying in all my years of Olympic viewing, along with John Curry's gold.

Interestingly, two of my other top favorite skaters, Gordeyeva and Kwan, have just about the least flexible Ina Bauers. They're almost vertical. I still love them and put them at the top of my Forever List--along with Shizuka and a few others.

Poli

Spectator
In her "Send in the Clowns" short program, Yuna did a spread eagle to an inside edge Ina Bauer. Is that move something of note, or is it something regularly done by other skaters?

MiRé

Match Penalty
I've noticed even though Shizuka's back during Ina Bauer bends so much, her back during biellmann doesn't. Same with Yuna. On a contrary, Mao does a beautiful biellmann, but she can't do an ina bauer.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't see how you guys can pick favorites...I'm not judging anyone but rather just unable to commit myself. I mean I'm a Yulia nut but I can't say hers or anyone's is the best...maybe it is Shizuka but it might just be that an Ina Bauer fits her style the best and lends itself to her programs better. It's just such a good chance for a skater to showcase emotion and skill. I really like how everyone has a signature style on the same move. Thx to all for sharing and especially Papa because he probably made those gifs of Yulia for this thread.