Ina Bauer move | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ina Bauer move

Sabrina

Record Breaker
There are many skaters doing wonderful Ina Bauers, but I prefer Julia Lipinskaia by far...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

:love: I prefer the second one way more. I hate ina bauers where the arms just flop down like somebody cut the power source to them. I get that it's a dramatic moment, I just don't find it particular elegant. I'd rather a skater held their arms in an actual position, rather than have "lazy" arms.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
:love: I prefer the second one way more. I hate ina bauers where the arms just flop down like somebody cut the power source to them. I get that it's a dramatic moment, I just don't find it particular elegant. I'd rather a skater held their arms in an actual position, rather than have "lazy" arms.
I feel exactly the opposite: I adore that first Ina Bauer because of how her arms fell. It fits perfectly with the music and the program she was skating. She didn't just do a technical element--she used it to tell a story.

Of course, I definitely don't want her to repeat the move for future programs. Divorced of its original intent, it would indeed look sloppy.

Vicky458

On the Ice
I've never seen an IB by Tai/Randy & would love to -- can you post a link? Thanks!

I don't have a link but if you look on you tube at their 1979 Worlds long program near the end of the program they do a spread eagle into an inside ina bauer and then an outside ina bauer simply beautiful

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Not a huge fan of men doing the layback ina bauer either but when it is choreographed properly into the program and well conceived, it can have a good impact, like Yuzuru's from his R&J this past season.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't have a link but if you look on you tube at their 1979 Worlds long program near the end of the program they do a spread eagle into an inside ina bauer and then an outside ina bauer simply beautiful

Thanks, Vicky458! :yay: Going there right now. Also, have you watched the performance in the link posted by Olympia upthread? It's Tai & Randy doing a fours exhibition w/ JoJo Starbuck/Ken Shelley. Marvelous.

Edit: found Tai/Randy on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63cmIfO-u6k

The spread eagle/Ina Bauer is just lovely and there's also a series of Arabians -- yummy!

Last edited:
First of all, thanks Olympia for the fabulous link to Tai and Randy and JoJo and Ken. They are ideal examples of that can happen when pairs teams stick together and with the same quality coach consistently.

Regarding men and Ina Bauers, I get some of people's discomfort. I see it as similar to people's feelings about laybacks and Beillmanns. There are good to acceptable male versions of both spins (Galindo, Petrenko, Rippon, Hanyu, Brown, etc). I think that's because too many boys are not taught that they can be both masculine and graceful. Until recently, flexibility was also not much of an emphasis. However, I thinks it is possible to meet display both qualities.

IB is a move that has to be done with conviction and commitment to be really effective musically. Hanyu, Wylie and Curry all do this.

As for turn out, it's true that many top skaters have not performed either IB's or spread eagles regularly. Slutskaya is good example.

You're right about the disconnect that many people perceive between masculinity and gracefulness. That's one reason I love skating, because it has so many examples of men who are both. I also agree with you about the splendid effect of "what can happen when pairs teams stick together and with the same quality coach consistently." John Nicks was my first pairs coaching idol. I loved the smooth, jazzy, definitely western-hemisphere style that he imparted to Shelley and Starbuck and later to Tai and Randy. Both of these pairs had long careers, both as amateurs and pros. It was interesting that both the men never grew very tall, while both of the ladies did. The lifts that each pair did looked even more impressive to me because the guys had to be so strong. Tai and Randy were still skating when Cherkasova/Shakhrai were doing the gorilla-flea act with Sergei tossing twelve-year-old Marina into quadruple spinny things. The contrast was, as you can imagine, striking.

I was always fascinated to watch a pair or an ice dance couple do a move where just one of them (always the same one) did a spread eagle, and the other did not. The two examples I can remember are Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze (where she did a spread eagle with a lovely turnout) and Klimova/Ponomarenko (where, oddly, he was the one with the great turnout).

As for the skaters we're discussing now, I think I still prefer Curry and Wylie to Hanyu. They add more artistic maturity to the move. But I'm eagerly awaiting Yuzuru's artistic growth!

Lsayogi

Spectator
Ick it's personal preference but I hate Hanyu's Inna Bauer (don't get me wrong I'm a fan of his otherwise). His leg positions are awful it looks like he's dragging the hind leg

Hanyu appears to pattern the hind leg position after Arakawa's. I remember he originally took on the move as a tribute to her, being the hometown hero and all.

At this stage with Yuzuru, we won't find Curry's ballet-trained grace or Wylie's overall refinement. He did however get more space in exhibitions ("Hana Ni Nare") to vary the arm movements, for a more nuanced character. Although it's not exactly an argument for "masculine grace" many look for;)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Hanyu appears to pattern the hind leg position after Arakawa's. I remember he originally took on the move as a tribute to her, being the hometown hero and all.

At this stage with Yuzuru, we won't find Curry's ballet-trained grace or Wylie's overall refinement. He did however get more space in exhibitions ("Hana Ni Nare") to vary the arm movements, for a more nuanced character. Although it's not exactly an argument for "masculine grace" many look for;)

Androgynous grace is just fine with me. :biggrin: