The Biellmann Spin | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Biellmann Spin

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Agreed. She was never able to transition up into it as seamlessly as a lot of the others did/do.

However, before she stopped doing it she'd improved the position. To me her Biellmann at worlds in 2011 looked better than her Biellmann in Vancouver. It seemed slightly more extended at worlds...
Yes, her 2011 Biellmann was her best ever, but I don't really like her pre-2010 Biellmann, as much as I didn't like Sasha's Biellmann: all her positions were perfect, so maybe this is why her Biellmann never looked good to me. I guess it is because under the 6.0 system they didn't have to include it in their programs until the IJS forced them to, so she and other skaters didn't have the chance to practice it as much as young girls do now

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bringing this one back to comment on Biellmann spins from the 2014-15 season. So many new up-and-comers!

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Czisny.

Asada Mao.

Radionova (how is her surname pronounced? Rah-dee-oh-no-va? Rah-dio-nova?)

Miyahara Satoko.

Nagasu Mirai. The hands over the boot variation is spectacular.

witcher

Match Penalty
Mao has it too, though her leg doesn't quite go up as high as Julia, but beautiful enough!

https://youtu.be/HnXTV1uoDig?t=88

Also, Mao has changed her transition into the bielmann, and IMO, it looks far smoother and she seems to have better centering, speed, and position:

https://youtu.be/HnXTV1uoDig?t=218
Looks very nice and similar, but Mao is holding her knee with one of her hands - it abuses vertical lines and gives the position a bit laboured look imo.
Julia holds her foot with both hands like she was hanging up there, creating perfect vertical shape of a teardrop.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Mao has it too, though her leg doesn't quite go up as high as Julia, but beautiful enough!

https://youtu.be/HnXTV1uoDig?t=88

Also, Mao has changed her transition into the bielmann, and IMO, it looks far smoother and she seems to have better centering, speed, and position:

https://youtu.be/HnXTV1uoDig?t=218

Looks very nice and similar, but Mao is holding her knee with one of her hands - it abuses vertical lines and gives the position a bit laboured look imo.
Julia holds her foot with both hands like she was hanging up there, creating perfect vertical shape of a teardrop.

That's not her Biellmann, it's cross grab camel position and she transitions into it with a donut, I've seen Russians girls like Yulia do this too for their flying camels, sometimes it's called a half Biellmann

This is her actual Biellmann and it's gorgeous, I'm also really fond of her 4CC Biellmann for Scheherazade but this one is more recent

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Julia's is definitely a Biellman even though it's from a camel.

witcher

Match Penalty
"Cross grab camel position"? :scratch::laugh:

I fell in utter love with this sport, but I've no delusions I'll ever catch up with it's terminology... ;)

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
That's not her Biellmann, it's cross grab camel position and she transitions into it with a donut, I've seen Russians girls like Yulia do this too for their flying camels, sometimes it's called a half Biellmann

This is her actual Biellmann and it's gorgeous, I'm also really fond of her 4CC Biellmann for Scheherazade but this one is more recent

i was gonna ask if it counts as biellman or camel so thanks for explaining, but regardless of type, her position is just amazing, some skaters looks down at that position , it almost feels like they are resisting but Julia just goes with the flow (if that makes sense :laugh:)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can do a Biellman from a Camel position as Julia demonstrates above. So it wouldn't be a matter of if it were a camel or Beillman. Their all catch foot spins except a half Biellman doesn't go above your head and is about head height and without the boot over your head.

The Biellman is just a signature catch foot.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
You can do a Biellman from a Camel position as Julia demonstrates above. So it wouldn't be a matter of if it were a camel or Beillman. Their all catch foot spins except a half Biellman doesn't go above your head and is about head height and without the boot over your head.
The Biellman is just a signature catch foot.
Biellmann is an upright spin, so it doesn't matter which position you did before the Biellmann, it matters that the final position is upright catch foot.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah...I went back and looked at this.

http://static.isu.org/media/166006/tphandbook_singleskating_2014-15.pdf

Scroll down to the spins section pg 1-2.

It's a bit odd because Mao and Zijun are clearly in the Camel Foward position while Julia his the Upright Biellman. Her Needle spin isn't a real Biellman either so :bang:

Hopefully they just start naming things after her at some point. I think she just pushes the boundaries to the point of confusion. I mean if we can name the Tano and Ripon variations for jumps what the heck does Julia need to do to get some respect in the spin category :laugh:

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
All the big names have been mentioned but Haejin Kim has a very smooth Biellman.

I usually prefer variations, just because the "classic" position is overdone. Of the current ladies, Adelina and Zijun have great one-handed Biellmanns and I looove Mao's half-Biellmann. Yulia's needle(?) is very impressive but not my cup of tea.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Julia's is definitely a Biellman even though it's from a camel.

I looked through the document you posted and I suppose you're right but I only scanned through, I was more referring to the donut transition into the upright position. I think it looks really cool either way haha

Anywho Mao's Biellman usually has her right leg up while in the camel upright (Biellmann variation?) her right hand grabs the blade of her left leg so they're not really equivalent

Last edited: